Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for a Windsurfer

Options
  • 18-01-2010 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

anybody selling one ?
    sorry if in wrong section
    need the board mast and sail
    cheers:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 bigsurf.ie

[Mod Edit] - Commercial Sales are not allowed on this board. Don't do it again please.

OK. Thanks for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭will3k

I've been thinking about selling my kit to fund a shiney new longboard / kitesurf kit.
    Are you a beginner?
    I've 2 boards (both bic technos 142L + 110L), 2 sails (5M + 6M), mast, boom, deck plate, 2 fins, harness, harness lines....

Basically everthing you need to go from a beginner to advanced, it's old kit though, and the 142L board has bit of damage on the nose I just patched up myself.

I'm thinking around €400 for the lot, I could mail you pics if your interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

• Registered Users Posts: 35 skippergonzo

I got sorted I think
    I got a wayler one design mast and sail very cheap
    a bit of a bus but it's exactly what i was looking for
    thanks

Skippergonzo,

Have to be harsh here...Waylers are ancient relics that will only put you off windsurfing! They are pre 1970's type windsurfing gear, some which simply do not work!...they are worthless! It's like compare 1970's car to a new BMW!!

You'd be much better off paying €70 for 1 hours windsurfing lesson at any of the schools around the country...you'll learn a lot more in that one hour and you will enjoy it!

I'm only trying to help you!

Cheers,
    Pearse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

It might be a stupid question, but I have some experience with windsrufing on flat water with quite gentle wind, being able to go in all directions independently from the wind direction. Would the advice on lessons apply for me too?
    Is there big difference in surfing in the sea and in fresh water lake? I bet most of the rental places would be in quite safe and sheltered areas without any big waves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

ThOnda wrote: »
    It might be a stupid question, but I have some experience with windsrufing on flat water with quite gentle wind, being able to go in all directions independently from the wind direction. Would the advice on lessons apply for me too?
    Is there big difference in surfing in the sea and in fresh water lake? I bet most of the rental places would be in quite safe and sheltered areas without any big waves.

Lessons and rentals are a great way to get into windsurfing. You won't have to commit to buying immediately, when you are learning you will want to gradually move to smaller boards and bigger rigs fairly quickly and having access to a school's equipment is a great way of doing that so you won't have to immediately spend on fortune on gear that you might outgrow in 6 months anyway.

Sailing on the open sea or in waves is fairly challenging, it should only be attempted after you have a bit of experience on flat water. You're right in saying that the various schools around the country will teach you in a safe environment. Then when you want a bigger challenge you can attend one of the wave clinics that are held around the country :)

Hi ThOnda,

No such thing as a stupid question...you must be safe on the water.

Beginner stages...flat water, gentle breeze, being able to sail in each direction, working your way upwind, downwind, and then practicing your turns, both tacking and gybing. A lesson will give you motivation to get back out there after a cold winter and should identify early any mistakes or bad habits you have picked up or are developing. A lesson would also identify if you are doing something that you could be doing a bit better, even simple things like rigging the sail or carrying kit down the beach.

Do you windsurf with someone else? You should always...for safety and for fun!

Schools need not be in sheltered locations, but they will take you to a sheltered location...ideally flat water and consistent winds. The better you get the more wind you can handle, and the faster you go. A lake would tend to be choppier and more gusty than the sea. Sea obviously gives you more float.

On the gear front, schools have complete beginner gear to get you going quite quickly. If you have the basics, you should look at beginner/intermediate kit, which will allow you to grow into it. The gear nowadays is so good, you can keep it until it falls apart...how long depends on how much abuse you give it. If you get good advice on kit now you will still use it when you are semi-pro.

Wave clinics are a bit down the line from beginner stages, some folks might get there faster. Sailing with others is a great way to get into waves. If you surf already, you'll realise with windsurfing there is no paddling, you sail out over the waves (or jump them), and even with a good surfing ability and reasonably intermediate windsurf ability, you can have fun in waves in the early stages on windsurf kit...sail out, wave ride in...no paddling.

If you want the whole picture, get a SUP that can take a windsurf sail, and then you can surf, SUP and windsurf!

Hope this helps & have fun!

Regards,
    Pearse

Advertisement