Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 3: Goulash

Options
  • 18-01-2010 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭

Hey all, putting this up tonight while i have a connection, interent has been throwing a hissy fit here all week.

well since the weather is still so blooming cold, thought i would do a Goulash:)

Ingredients

vegetable oil
    1 large onion(finely chopped)
    1 garlic clove(crushed)
    750g stewing steak(or whatever beef you would use for a stew etc)
    2ish tbsp paprika
    400g tin chopped tomatoes
    tomato puree (1tbsp?)
    1 large red pepper
    175g mushrooms(chopped)
    600ml beef stock
    1 tbsp cornflour
    1 tbsp water

Method

1. heat the oil in a large saucepan, Add the chopped onion and garlic and cook over a low heat for about 3-4 mins

2. Cut the beef into chucks if it isnt already cut, then add to the pot with the onion and garlic and cook on a high heat till just browned. Add the paprika and stir well( you might need to add more at the end of the cooking time, if you like a bit more kick)

3. Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, mushrooms and red pepper, cook for about 2 mins.

4. Add the stock and then bring to the boil, once boiled turn the heat down and place a lid on the saucepan.

5. leave to simmer for about 1.5-2hrs or until the meat is tender.

6. blend the cornflour and the water together and add to the pot stirring well untill the sauce is thickened. Cook for 1 min.

7. serve with potatoes or rice.

Recipe is orginally for the student cook book published by Love food.
    I sometimes use a red onion instead of a normal one and dont always add all the stock, depending on the brand of tomatoes they sometimes come in alot of liquid. The recipe serves 4 and freezes fairly well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I love Goulash and was actually thinking about making it soon. Nice one!

That's dinner sorted for some night this week anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Looking forward to trying this. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Des wrote: »
    I love Goulash and was actually thinking about making it soon. Nice one!

That's dinner sorted for some night this week anyway.

will go to tesco on the way home and see if they have any quorn beef - do you want to give me a list ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

legend. This sounds lovely. I had to skip out on week 2 because of the newborn but we have a kilo of steak pieces in the fridge so this is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

irishbird wrote: »
    will go to tesco on the way home and see if they have any quorn beef - do you want to give me a list ?
    Ah here! Use the PM function!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

No tomato puree in the ingredients but it's listed in the method, just wondering how much? I know it's probably only a small amount but never made or tasted this before!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Jemmy wrote: »
    No tomato puree in the ingredients but it's listed in the method, just wondering how much? I know it's probably only a small amount but never made or tasted this before!

As psycho-hope's stated that the connection is dogey I've put it in the ingredients list incase people are doing a take-off for the shopping. I'm guessing a tablespoon would be fine but the OP might get back to clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Defo going to try this later, sounds lovely! I'm just doing it for two - how much meat you reckon, about half that?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Cool, will make this this week hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Nice simple recipe! Strangely never really done much in the way of beef stews, so will probably give this a go.

Now I'll be making some slight additions, such as adding celery (have some that has to be used), maybe some carrots, etc. Great thing about these kind of recipes is that you can experiment a good bit, can't do too much wrong, and could stumble across a delicious mix.

Looking forward to see what kind of variations or serving ideas people might come up with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

olaola wrote: »
    Defo going to try this later, sounds lovely! I'm just doing it for two - how much meat you reckon, about half that?

My recommendation is not to scale down at all. These kind of recipes often taste even better upon reheating and also freeze well.

Great for a nights where you are feeling lazy and not up to cooking. Just put on rice/potatoes and reheat a portion of stew.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

My recommendation is not to scale down at all. These kind of recipes often taste even better upon reheating and also freeze well.

Great for a nights where you are feeling lazy and not up to cooking. Just put on rice/potatoes and reheat a portion of stew.

Good idea :)

Yeah, whenever I make anything like this I always scale up and make loads to bung in the freezer. Makes it ridiculously cheap per portion. And as you've already said, it's generally nicer the second time round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

looking forward to trying this out, never had it before! hopefully i'll be makng it sooner in the week rather than later as is usual!
    By the way Black oil well done on last weeks recipe!!!
    I am not really looking forward to my turn as OP, i'm already feelin thepressure to have the greatest recipe... even though its 23 weeks away hopefully i'll be more clued in by then...:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Oh, I could do this one, will have a proper look at the ingredients later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

As psycho-hope's stated that the connection is dogey I've put it in the ingredients list incase people are doing a take-off for the shopping. I'm guessing a tablespoon would be fine but the OP might get back to clarify.

thanks Mr Magnolia, that was my own boo boo, yeah it is one tablespoon,

olaola wrote: »

hey olaola, theres only 2 of us at home aswell and we just bung the leftovers into the freezer and then its there for some other night when we cant be bothered to cook:)

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

I don't eat beef but love the sound of this - would chicken work ok in this recipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

how about lamb???

Hennybug wrote: »
    I don't eat beef but love the sound of this - would chicken work ok in this recipe?
    del88 wrote: »
    how about lamb???

tbh guys i dont know id say lamb would but im not sure about the chicken, maybe one of the other posters would be able to tell you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Pork would be a better alternative in a goulash - shoulder cut. Google Jamie Oliver goulash for his recipe.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Hennybug wrote: »

Sure. I'd use 4 thighs on the bone with the skin on, this is a bit more fatty than the breast and will retain moisture better. Brown the skin on the pan and continue as above. Check they're cooked through and let me know how you get on :)

Lamb and pork will both work as above too of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Im am going to double the recipe and have them for lunch, made it before with a shoulder of pork and it was soo tender you could eat it with a spoon. thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

Sure. I'd use 4 thighs on the bone with the skin on, this is a bit more fatty than the breast and will retain moisture better. Brown the skin on the pan and continue as above. Check they're cooked through and let me know how you get on :)

Thanks for that will let you know how it turns out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Made this last night and it was delish. The only problem was I used a tablespoon of smoked paprika and couldn't understand why it was so spicy at the end when I sampled it before I was going to add more for a kick. I read the back of the jar and it said it was far more concentrated than other paprika, oops! Added some creme fraiche and it toned it down though. Made four decent sized portions so I used too and froze the rest. Thanks for the recipe!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Is it really 2tbsp of paprika? - I used 2 teaspoons! I wasnt brave enough for 2 tablespoons!

Anyhow, my goulsh is simmering away and smells georgeous! I only had minced beef so it's a little more like chili and I threw in a sml tin of kidney beans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

Made it for dinner tonight It was yummy and easy to make! Didn't get to take any photos cause ppl wanted to eat it straight away!!
    I used 2 tblsp of sweet paprika as it was all i had so it wasn't very spicy but still delish!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Just a tip about adding the paprika: it's better to take the pot off the heat (just move it to the side), and then add the paprika. Paprika can burn quite quickly and easily over direct heat, which in turn makes it bitter. Just stir it through, then proceed with the veg/stock - the moisture from either of these will dilute the paprika and protect it from burning.

Made this last night and it was lovely. Wouldn't be a huge fan of Mushrooms but the other half is so I made it anyway. Think I'm converted though! :D It was really nice and I'll definitely be making it again.

103191.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭kikililly

Delighted with this, tried it last night and it was really lovely. Didn't have much of a kick, will add a bit more paprika next time. I really love dinners like this as it makes such a tasty lunch the next day and takes the hassle out of that. Definately committing this to the repetoire!!

Didnt get to try the last 2 weeks due the the strict new year diet and a wedding dress to fit into in the not too distant future!

Advertisement