Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do hot and amazing summers follow bad winters?

Options
  • 18-01-2010 1:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

Please say yes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭gar120

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭jif

I read that as how hot and amazing summer follow bad winters! (brain sees what it wants to see)

and thought you were going to tell us why this phenomen happens and why :)

but now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

no, wet summers follow cold winters AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Mr Happy,

They do in The Land of Wishful Thinking... but we can but live in hope. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Sometimes. I believe that 1940 and 1947 were above average summers. I don't think 1963 or 1979 were. Those are four of the more obvious examples.

I don't imagine that the odds have shifted from the usual one in four(teen).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If they do then there will be even more water problems than there are now..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Interesting to note that the two coldest Febs of the 20th century, 1947 and 86 followed dreadful wet summers. Last Feb was quite cold with some snow following the poor summer of '08 so this Feb should be cold too after the washout of '09...... if we're lucky!
    As far as I can see good summers follow mild winters - 1975, 76, 83, 84, 89, 95. Those are the best summers I can think of and none of them followed a cold winter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

we've had 3 washout cool summers in a row now, this Summer better not be the 4th one:)

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

The summer-autumn of 2003 was phenomenal.

I remember having a bouncy castle for the children and their friends, the last day of school in June 2003 and it was so wet some of the children went home and changed into swim suits and swam in the castle it was so wet.

But after that the weather improved. I remember going out in short sleeves and flip flops at the end of October, start of November.

I can't remember what the winter of 2002-03 was like though.

I do remember parts of the summer of 1979 and certainly August was good that year. I think June was good that year as well (I was abroad for the month of July).

But YES, I live in hope that summer 2010 will be good. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Bicycle wrote: »

I do remember parts of the summer of 1979 and certainly August was good that year.
    Are you confusing September with August in 1979? August was dreadful that year, that was the month of the Fasnet yacht race disaster when many lost their lives in an unusually violent storm for the time of year. The weather was gloriously sunny though when the pope visited in September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Elmer, you are right and I am wrong. Thank you for correcting me.

I'd actually forgotten about the Fastnet even though we were in Dunmore East when some of the boats were brought into harbour that August.

How the years dim our memories and we look back at life through rose tinted sun glasses.

Advertisement