Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New car

• 18-01-2010 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

I'm going to buy a new car. so far my favourite is opel astra 2.0 CDTI Elite. Has anyone driven 2.0 diesel? i couldn't find any review, only 1.7CDTI. How good the engine is? how noisy it is? another candidate is Mazda 3 2.2 diesel. is the 185HP
    version available in ireland? or only the 150HP.
    already seen astra, looks stunning[inside, outside] and i'm going to check mazda tomorrow. what are your thoughts? i will appreciate any advice. thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I have driven the 1.7 Engine and I was more than happy with it. I also drove the 2.0 Insignia and it was sluggish.

The Astra Elite is well specced except the headlights and the 1.7 engine is good so I would have to imagine the 2.0 is much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I've driven the Insignia with the 2.0CDTi engine in both 130 & 160. It doesn't feel as quick as the power output suggests, but I think that's down to the linear power delivery rather than the torque arriving in one great lump. I'd say in the lighter body of the Astra it could be a bit of a rocket, and has to be worth the extra €500 upgrade from the 1.7 125ps to the 2.0 160ps.

Mazda 3 is only listed with the 150ps version of the 2.2 diesel, doesn't look like the 185ps version is available here.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Stingray

kave2 wrote: »
    I'm going to buy a new car. so far my favourite is opel astra 2.0 CDTI Elite. Has anyone driven 2.0 diesel? i couldn't find any review, only 1.7CDTI. How good the engine is? how noisy it is? another candidate is Mazda 3 2.2 diesel. is the 185HP
    version available in ireland? or only the 150HP.
    already seen astra, looks stunning[inside, outside] and i'm going to check mazda tomorrow. what are your thoughts? i will appreciate any advice. thanks a lot.

Look on YouTube, you generally find reviews there, sometimes, depending on car, you can find Diesel v Petrol sound tests

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGi3fKQT8jQ - if you have German as a language!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭kave2

I got the price for the Astra elite 2.0 CTDI + Flex ride+Adaptive forward lightning+ rear and front parking sensors+usb connection+metallic paint for 27 200eu. so basically the salesman gave me all the extras for free[2855eu]

and i'm still thinking about sat nav[1220eu] not sure if its worthy, but basic screen is only 2 colors and its not looking very good.what do you guys think?

does anyone know if the Opel Eye is optional extra or is included in AFL, dont have the list of optional extras and its not on opel website yet.

And what do you guys think about Skoda Yeti, nice looking car. i like a lot, only problem are the engines, so far there is 1.2 TSI 105 HP and 2.0TDI CR 110. i dont think these are powerful enough. has anyone driven it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

kave2 wrote: »
    I got the price for the Astra elite 2.0 CTDI + Flex ride+Adaptive forward lightning+ rear and front parking sensors+usb connection+metallic paint for 27 200eu. so basically the salesman gave me all the extras for free[2855eu]

and i'm still thinking about sat nav[1220eu] not sure if its worthy, but basic screen is only 2 colors and its not looking very good.what do you guys think?

does anyone know if the Opel Eye is optional extra or is included in AFL, dont have the list of optional extras and its not on opel website yet.

And what do you guys think about Skoda Yeti, nice looking car. i like a lot, only problem are the engines, so far there is 1.2 TSI 105 HP and 2.0TDI CR 110. i dont think these are powerful enough. has anyone driven it?

I've used the Sat Nav in the Insignia and it's not great - bit cheap looking in my opinion, but it does give you the colour centre screen. A lot to pay just for a colour screen though - I wouldn't bother.

Opel Eye isn't listed as an optional extra for the Astra, nor for the Insignia any more. They were having trouble with it last year when I tried to order it on an Insignia, and I've heard it doesn't work in Ireland anyway so perhaps they've just dropped it altogether from the options list.

Price you've been given for the car with all the extra's is pretty good. Dealer wouldn't be making a huge amount of money on that sale.

The VAG 2.0Tdi 110bhp was a very nice engine in the Passat. Smooth, quiet and very frugal. I'd say it's more than enough to power the Yeti.

• Advertisement
Advertisement