Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a car without full licence- good idea?

• 18-01-2010 2:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm on my second provisional licence. I have my test next week but want to plan ahead if I don't pass it.

I'm living approx. 2-3 mins drive from where I'm working. I had to find a house within close walking distance. Lately, I feel that not having a car is severly holding me back in life, like renting this house for example. If I had a car, I could have gotten somewhere much nicer but further away, for the same price. Also, having to walk to shops and carry groceries- its just such a hassle.

Anyway, what I want to know is if I dont pass my test next week, do ye think it would be silly of me to buy a car? I'm a reasonably good driver and I would only drive it to and from work until I try and pass my test again. The drive involves one roundabout but I'd leave early so traffic would be quiet.

Also, I know the insurance would be high, (I'm male- mid 20s) but say if I pass my test the 2nd time (in 2 months), do I get money back on my insurance as it should be cheaper now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 zetecs

kaji wrote: »
    Hi, I'm on my second provisional licence. I have my test next week but want to plan ahead if I don't pass it.

I'm living approx. 2-3 mins drive from where I'm working. I had to find a house within close walking distance. Lately, I feel that not having a car is severly holding me back in life, like renting this house for example. If I had a car, I could have gotten somewhere much nicer but further away, for the same price. Also, having to walk to shops and carry groceries- its just such a hassle.

Anyway, what I want to know is if I dont pass my test next week, do ye think it would be silly of me to buy a car? I'm a reasonably good driver and I would only drive it to and from work until I try and pass my test again. The drive involves one roundabout but I'd leave early so traffic would be quiet.

Also, I know the insurance would be high, (I'm male- mid 20s) but say if I pass my test the 2nd time (in 2 months), do I get money back on my insurance as it should be cheaper now?

with certain insurers they give you back a certain amount of money when u get your full licence becaus ethey kno u can drive..and there is so many people driving around on provisional licences its not even funny so u might aswell join the club:)ha just kidding but i would buy the car..:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

Thanks zetecs, yeah I think I'll buy one so over the next couple of weeks. I know that technically I shouldn't be driving on my own but its only a 2-3 min drive and it'll give me some practice every day also. I'll finally feel like a real adult! Thanks for the reply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

@Kaji - I think you should be focussing completely on passing the test at the moment and forget about buying a car until you have the full licence. Think of it as the end result of passing the test is that you can buy a car so there is added incentive. There are actually very few cases where it makes sense for someone on a Learner Permit to buy their own car. As donegalfella pointed out, it is illegal for you to drive unaccompanied - it doesnt matter if its 2 mins down the road or 2 hours, its still illegal.

If your standard of driving is pretty good then the test is really not that difficult - the main thing is to remain calm, concentrate completely on your driving and just treat the examiner as just a voice directing you (like a Sat Nav :)). Now anyone can have a bad day or get very nervous etc and end up messing up the test and if that is the case then apply again straight away and if possible take a cancellation slot so you will get a new date quickly.

Best of luck with the test and I hope it goes well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Kaji - I did buy a car when before I'd even passed my theory test (only a few days though) but main reason for that was my only other option for a car to learn to drive in was much too big for me to be comfortable with. Unless there is someone who's qualified to go out with you in the car I wouldn't recommend it to be honest. They're cracking down a lot on unaccompanied learners. I know this coz at least 3 of my friends have been pulled in for it - they have full licences but all look quite young so the Gardaí thought they might have just taken down the L plates & were on permits. To be honest it's not worth the risk.

Good luck with the test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

Hiya,

I bought a car for me and my husband and we are on provisional licences.

We don't drive it alone it's always with the instructor or a relative.

However once you have your car you might find it easier to find a relative or friend to sit in with you while you drive.

Our insurance co said they'd refund me if I pass my test because I paid for a year all at once so you can always ask them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Assets Model

Do buy one definitely sure you'll get more practice in with your own car as most people are willing to sit in with you but very few would actually let you get insured on their car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

I bought a car the week after I got my learner permit, I thought it was a good thing to do. The car is down home with my family so only get to drive at weekends. I wanted to be on my own insurance policy as the parents are self employed and both of their cars are taxi's so it would be tricky to go on their insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

Hey, OP here. Test is soon, I'll let ye know how I get on! I still think I'll buy a car even if I fail. I've done so many lessons, its just a waste of money now as I'm not really putting it into practice. I'm a capable driver and this journey to work is literally 1 min on a straight road. It would just be good practice and I'd get into a habit and at the weekends I could drive further (with another licenced driver in the car).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭DrivingTestTips: Brian

Hi OP

Once you abide by the law its a very good idea as you can practice more....But as donegalfella and DriveSkill pointed out "it is illegal for you to drive unaccompanied" and the fines are in the €0000's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

kaji wrote: »
    I'm a reasonably good driver and I would only drive it to and from work until I try and pass my test again. The drive involves one roundabout but I'd leave early so traffic would be quiet.

:rolleyes:
    Learn to drive correctly and safely. Get Lessons and be accompanied by an experienced driver, it'll make you a better and safer driver....why cut corners safety wise on yourself and other road users?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

Hi OP

Once you abide by the law its a very good idea as you can practice more....But as donegalfella and DriveSkill pointed out "it is illegal for you to drive unaccompanied" and the fines are in the €0000's.

I agree. I bought a car initially because family members were nervous about me using their own cars ( understandably so! ) but it ended up being a great choice. I had the opportunity to practice in between lessons which I believe is important and times when I was alone I could just sit in the car and practice foot controls, biting point etc:)

Advertisement