Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFC Championship game: VIKINGS vs SAINTS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Gisty

If I was a Vikings fan I'd be utterly gutted. What an awful decision to throw that pass.

His last 3 seasons have ended with a INT now. Retire now no.4. It is time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Wow, the stats for the game are absolutely crazy.
    Minnesota destroyed New Orleans in every stat bar turnovers. The old adage turnovers wins games has never been so apt.

Btw, I think it's a near lock, bar injury, that Favre returns next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Russian Roulette with a gun
    Busy planning my Saints themed superbowl night!!

Who dat!?!??!!

Finally a kicker gets some glory this preseason :)

I dunno about Favre coming back. He's blown the last 2 championship games that he's been in. I think this could be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Gisty wrote: »
    I dunno about Favre coming back. He's blown the last 2 championship games that he's been in. I think this could be it.

He's pretty much blown every major game in his post-season career. Hasn't stopped him coming back yet.:pac:

• Advertisement

He's pretty much blown every major game in his post-season career. Hasn't stopped him coming back yet.:pac:

:pac:

I think when it comes to who cost the vikings, while Favre is there, there are other people which take far more blame then he does.

cooker3 wrote: »
    I think when it comes to who cost the vikings, while Favre is there, there are other people which take far more blame then he does.

Childress is No 1

12 men in huddle after a time out?

Dodge wrote: »
    Childress is No 1

Yep. But Favre should never, ever, ever, EVER have thrown that last pass.

Childress is No 1

Yeah I liked how Vikings tried to take a Timeout which would have been a penalty in anyway as you can't take 2 in a row.

• Advertisement

Yep. But Favre should never, ever, ever, EVER have thrown that last pass.

WOuldn't have had to if they didn't give that penalty (Favre even tried t call an illegal 2nd time out)

It was an all round cluster**** from the Vikings at the end tbh. They had it as good as won and they blew it. Only themselves to blame.

BTW I think Favre was brilliant tonight

And if that last pick was dropped, they'd have still been out of FG range

Oh and I think the Saints D isn't getting enough credit. They always, always target turnovers. Its part of their gameplan. Most of the fumbles had a Saints hand in there trying to pole it loose

cooker3 wrote: »
    Wow, the stats for the game are absolutely crazy.
    Minnesota destroyed New Orleans in every stat bar turnovers. The old adage turnovers wins games has never been so apt.
    As proof
                         Vikings    Saints
    1st Downs		31	15
    3rd down efficiency     7-12	3-12
    Total Plays		82	55
    Total Yards		475	257
    Passing			310	189
    Comp-Att		28-46	17-31
    Yards per pass		6.7	6.1
    Rushing			165	68
    Rushing Attempts	36	23
    Yards per rush		4.6	3.0
    Penalties		5-32	9-88
    [B]Turnovers		5	1[/B]
    Fumbles lost		3	1
    Interceptions thrown	2	0
    Possession		36:49	27:56

http://www.justin.tv/sportscasthd06#r=aWqAdcU

POdium interviews live

Favre on now if you hurry

BTW I think Favre was brilliant tonight

And if that last pick was dropped, they'd have still been out of FG range

Oh and I think the Saints D isn't getting enough credit. They always, always target turnovers. Its part of their gameplan. Most of the fumbles had a Saints hand in there trying to pole it loose

He was brilliant in the last conferance championship he was in. Until he threw a pic :pac:

That's true that they were still out of range, but they could always have gone for it on 4th, or he could have ran for 5 easy yards and gone from there. The pick was just an utterly stupid play..

You're right, the Saints D was awesome too though.

The pick was just an utterly stupid play..

Not arguing against that. More just commenting that it'll ruin what could've been a great, great night for him. no one will remember some of the great plays he made now...

Not arguing against that. More just commenting that it'll ruin what could've been a great, great night for him. no one will remember some of the great plays he made now...

Yep, that's football for you. Be was awesome all game, but when the key play needed to be made he didnt make it.

Kinda sad. I wanted the old dude to get to the big game.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Jules.Winnfield

Saints
    Busy planning my Saints themed superbowl night!!

Who dat!?!??!!

Finally a kicker gets some glory this preseason :)

Yeah, glad to see a kicker lifted on his teammates shoulders :). Although I still thought we we're goin to see a Favre bullet pass overtime TD. Great game all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Saints
    Favre's last play in football an interception?

Yep. It was the last time, too. And the time before that. And he'll probably do it again next year. And the year after that, too.

But who for? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Saints
    He's pretty much blown every major game in his post-season career.

Some bizarre posts in this forum, but this takes the biscuit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭_Buck Rogers

Saints
    Saints were very lucky imo, Pass interference call in OT when there was no contact.

They used iffy tactics on Favre, I'm stunned Favre was able to finish the game.

It doesn't matter how good peterson is if he can't hold on to the ball I wouldnt have him.

I thought i'd be cheering for the winner of this game in the bowl but. . . come on colts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,361 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Saints got lucky with some of the officials decisions alright. I even completely forgot until this afternoon about the Pierre Thomas TD that was awarded when he was down a yard before the endzone. Now Saints may have scored it anyway but the Vikings are capable of a goal-line stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,904 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Yep. It was the last time, too. And the time before that. And he'll probably do it again next year. And the year after that, too.

But who for? :p
    Iirc he signed a two year contract with the Viks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,904 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Including beating the Patriots in '96? Or the Superbowl againt the Broncos the following year.

He has a career postseason rating of 87.3, judging by what you say he should have a rating of no more than 50.

Also if you think about last nights game, his interception at the end was bad, but he should have been taking a knee long before then had there not been so many fumbles. The guy had a brilliant season by any standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Saints
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Including beating the Patriots in '96? Or the Superbowl againt the Broncos the following year.

He has a career postseason rating of 87.3, judging by what you say he should have a rating of no more than 50.

Also if you think about last nights game, his interception at the end was bad, but he should have been taking a knee long before then had there not been so many fumbles. The guy had a brilliant season by any standards.

And to be fair to Favre:

- The personnel fook up pushed them back and forced them to throw

- The play called for a 40 year old who had been battered all night was questionable in my eyes.

- He should never have been put in this position

Sure it was a bad throw but it was bad decisions by the Vikes coaches in my eyes all round. The expected way too much from Favre.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Some bizarre posts in this forum, but this takes the biscuit.
    eagle eye wrote: »

And to be fair to Favre:

- The personnel fook up pushed them back and forced them to throw

- The play called for a 40 year old who had been battered all night was questionable in my eyes.

- He should never have been put in this position

Sure it was a bad throw but it was bad decisions by the Vikes coaches in my eyes all round. The expected way too much from Favre.

Most interceptions by any QB in the play-offs in nfl history. Who cares what his rating is? When it comes to the crunch Favre blows it in the play-offs more often then not just like he did last night. If Favre can't run 5-10 yards into a huge open space then he should have told the trainers he wasn't fit to play in the final drive last night, I doubt he did that though. Not only that but throwing across the field is a mistake I wouldn't even expect a rookie to make.

Saints
    Why do people assume running was the best option look at the still of him just as he off loads the ball. He wouldn't have made 5 yards. With that Defensive player about 2-3 yards away Favre would have lost yards if he ran.

favre.JPG

The simple fact is you play to the your strengths and asking Favre to Roll out and find someone open when the Saints had practically everyone in coverage is madness. Especially when your QB is 40 years of age and beat up.

Edit: He had Taylor/Peterson who was running in the flats and found room on the sideline but It seems Favre was scanning left to right as he should and never got as far as looking to his right as he thought the middle was open.

He has the whole right side of the field open, he could have easily picked up 5 yards which would have made it kickable. As you saw the call seems pretty much perfect as he has a Taylor or Peterson wide open on the exact side Favre rolled out to. How is it childress fault Favre didn't bother looking at that side of the field and instead decided to hurl it it back across to the middle of the field?

• Advertisement

Saints
    He has the whole right side of the field open, he could have easily picked up 5 yards which would have made it kickable. As you saw the call seems pretty much perfect as he has a Taylor or Peterson wide open on the exact side Favre rolled out to. How is it childress fault Favre didn't bother looking at that side of the field and instead decided to hurl it it back across to the middle of the field?

How fast do you think Favre is? That defender closest to him would have closed him down short of 5 yards. And if you notice the video when he planted his feet after rolling out he scanned left to right which is what all QBs are thought to do obviously in the couple of seconds he thought he only had he never looked right and as he scanned through the middle thought he saw someone open.

Sure its his fault for the Int but he should never have been put in that situation. But you have to factor in the pressure of the situation, the timing and what Brett Favre actually saw on the field. It is so easy to sit back and say Favre is useless and the loss was all his fault.

Advertisement