Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGDE 2010

Options
  • 18-01-2010 3:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hi all,

Have applied for a place on the NUI PGDEs for 2010. Does anyone know when you hear back from PAC :pac: as to whether your application was successful or not?

Thanks
    S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Sparkles

Anyone?!

S

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭sunflower3

Hi

As far as I know it is early April when the 1st offers go out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

sunflower3 wrote: »
    Hi

As far as I know it is early April when the 1st offers go out.

I'll be interested to see if they have a place for me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Plumella

I hear its April 1st too - hoping there is an offer for me.

Not sure when its likely to hear from Trinity about interviews - anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rosie dodd

Hi
    Does your second teaching subject for PGDE also have to be a degree subject? I have Geography, Archaeology and Classics for Undergraduate Arts Degree, does that mean the only subjects I can teach are Geography and Classics? I believe its very difficult to get Teaching Practice for Classics which is a bit worrying ( If I were to be accepted into the course!)
    Once you have completed the course it must be very difficult to get a job if your being employed, as you would need to have the 2 subjects a school is looking for, no? Is it common for a school to employ a teacher to solely teach one subject? As looking back at my school days many of my teachers only concentrated on one subject.
    Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

Just for confimration I received the following update in my PAC a moment ago.

Assessment of applications for the PGDE are currently in progress. The first round of provisional offers will be issued on or after 01 April 2010. All applicants will be notified at this time whether or not they are entitled to an offer of a place.

So the provisional guesses of April 1st where right.

Now it's just a waiting game, good luck to all.

Owlwink:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

rosie dodd wrote: »
    Hi
    Does your second teaching subject for PGDE also have to be a degree subject?

No. Ideally it would but I know of plenty of people who did the Dip despite having just one meaningful (in teaching prospect terms) subject. Just don't assume the subjects methodologies taken in the Dip confer any entitlement to teach them in the long run. The average principal will look at the degree subject/s only, and the teaching council will recognise teaching subjects only.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Blinking_Badger

Thanks Owlwink,

I also recieved the same message today from PAC. By the way, I started this thread under the name Sparkles but have been unable to use that a/c since the boards.ie hacking episode, hence my new name!

The 1st of April can't come quick enough for me, I'm unemployed and would love to know for sure that I'll be doing something constructive in the coming months.

I've applied to NUIG, how about everyone else?

Cheers
    BB (formerly Sparkles!)

P.s. Best of luck to everyone also waiting for the 1st April.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 muirthemne

I'm the same....I am waiting patiently for offers for the pgde and am now getting worried.....is teaching experience any advantage to your application at all???

• Advertisement

Hi muirthemne,

Last year teaching practice hours counted towards extra points and apparently will this year also according to the PAC website. From 2011 these hours will not count towards extra points.

Best of luck to you!
    BB

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Avery

Heya

I've applied for this too, waiting nervously and patiently. How confident are people feeling points wise...? What subjects are people hoping to teach?

hey guys....cant believe offfers are out thurs....has anyone found out anything yet?? jus wonderin if it might be possible to get them on d net sooner since they are out in the post on thurs??? jus wanna get ot over and done with now cos i hate the waiting.....

Yeah completely agree with you muirthemne, can't believe we all may have just tomorrow to wait......the waiting game really is no fun! If you applied online (like me) will PAC contact you via e-mail? That would be really handy.......no postal delays!

Avery I'm hoping to teach Leaving Cert. Biology and Science to Junior Cert. I think I have about 48 points based on last year's points calculation. How about you (& everyone else)?? Also hoping for a place in my old uni NUI, Galway.

Fingers crossed for everyone!
    BB

Just got this from the PAC.....can u believe it.....
    The first round of provisional offers will now be issued on or after 06 April 2010. Apologies for the delay.

Arrrrrrgggghhhhh! Am sickened! More waiting..............yeesh :(

Hey all,

Anyone know what time the offers are out today by e-mail?? Anyone get a postal reply yet??!

BB

Anyone hear anything yet?? How long will we be kept hanging??!

Thanks

BB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nicki710

offers out today, check on the pac website n it'l tell you if your being offered or not! unfortunately i didnt get it, so dissapointed :(:(
    any ideas wats the story with the changes to application process next year, i heard you have to have a masters done to get in????

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

If you do a masters you're more likely to get it and you start on a higher salary if you get a teaching post. Any other teaching experience is also a bonus. If you're interested in charity/missionary work, maybe you could teach abroad for a year?

Realistically, you're very unlikely to get a teaching job in the next few years anway so you shouldn't be in a hurry to do the PGDE. My dad used to get one or two applications for every teaching job he advertised, now he gets about a hundred.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nicki710

yeah been teaching pretty much cosistently since oct or nov, my plan is to get the pgde and then go travelling, i was too late for applying for masters this year and realistically i cant afford to take time out of work to do the pgde and a masters unless i can find a parttime one to interest me!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 marnieb

Think it's going a bit too far i you now have to have a masters before trying to apply to a h dip to teach up to leaving cert level. It's just getting crazier and crazier and does not mean the most suitable people get through either. I mean a masters in a chosen subject is normally so focused on one area so what that can give to the leaving and junior cert exams is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

marnieb wrote: »
    Think it's going a bit too far i you now have to have a masters before trying to apply to a h dip to teach up to leaving cert level. It's just getting crazier and crazier and does not mean the most suitable people get through either. I mean a masters in a chosen subject is normally so focused on one area so what that can give to the leaving and junior cert exams is beyond me

A Master's probably doesn't give an awful lot extra to a teacher academically (relevant to the secondary school anyway) but it provides six extra points towards the points for the PGDE which is why it is being mentioned here.

Advertisement