Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duffff-Man's Reading Log

Options
  • 18-01-2010 3:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭

So finally I have started to read. It's been a few years since I read a book and to help me to get back into it I am reading a chapter a night and am going to start my own reading log!

Unsolved Nine Irish Murder Files Still Open by Barry Cummins

Got this book yesterday in Easons and have been reading a bit of it. I am finished my second chapter and going on to my third tomorrow night. Chapter 1 was about a 10 year old girl, Bernidette Connolly. She went missing from her home in 1970. Her mother asked her to run an errand and cycle down to a neighbours house a couple of miles down the road. She never made it. Her sister was sent out looking for her and discovered her bike on an embankment.

As with all of the murders in this book, none of them have been solved. This particular murder is saddening because of the age of the victim. Barry Cummins tells the story of how it happened, and what was done at the time to try and solve the case. He also has quoted passages from the young girls English copybook which shows how smart and aware she was at such a young age. It was a good opening chapter and was looking forward to reading the 2nd.

Tonight I got onto the 2nd chapter. It's about a woman, Marie Kilmartin, who was lured from her house and murdered by an unknown male. Marie suffered with a psychiatric illness. She got pregnant when she was young and her daughter was adopted by relatives in her family. Aine, the daughter did not find out about this until she was in her 20's. Maries body was found in a bog in Port Laoise 6 months after she was reported missing. The story tells of how Aine is fighting for her mothers killer to be brought to justice. Gardai examine the posibility that she may be linked to other murders of women around the same time in the Leinster area, but nothing is conclusive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Well after well over a year, I am back to my reading log. never finished the above book. i bought a kindle recently and have been reading what everybody is saying by Joe Naverro. Update to come soon

So far have read two books since Joe Navarro and bought myself a kindle.

I have finsihed reading no back up needed by James Kavanagh, and am starting the secrets of being happy by Richard Bandler.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

While I read a lot, I'm not very good at reviewing the books or keeping a log. So I have to admire those that do. Well done, on getting back to the reading. I find it's a struggle to find the time to record the number of books that I am reading, never mind anything else!

My Booky Wook Russell Brand

Lindwood Barclay Never Look Away

Dublin Dead Gerard O' Donovan

Buried by Mark Billingham
    Too close to home Linwood Barclay

• Advertisement
Advertisement