Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly in/Fly out mining work.

Options
  • 18-01-2010 5:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any experience with this? i have been talking to a company based in perth but with sites in regional WA (as in 1000km from the nearest shop). The problem is i have no idea what the going rate is and what packages should include. I dont want to take a job and then find out that i could have gotten work in the next mine over for an extra $20,000!

If any of you can give me some info about the work it would be great.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

So you just leave and go to the next mine over if that happens - they poach from each other daily! The turn over is unreal.

It's unlikely anyway in rural WA. You may be working for a recruitment agency or an 'arm' of the company but it's all either run by or producing for Rio Tinto, BHP Billiton or Fortescue.

From what friends in my town have told me - a scientist or geologist for the mine should be getting 140K and up per annum.
    Dump truck operators seem to get around 80 to 90K in WA. General operatives a little less. For FIFO, meals and board should be paid for or subsidised via a mess hall. Travel arrangements should also be arranged so that you have adequate sleep before starting work or they're in breach of health and safety.
    And you're in breach of H&S if you don't take that time to sleep and don't submit to the random drug tests etc too but you probably know all that.

Town I live in is run by Rio Tinto. They keep a pretty tight lease on the FIFOs as they cause the most accidents by partying too much, but other towns don't have as much control.
    From what I have heard BHP are good to work for and give the most money back to their towns, but Tinto are OK in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Don't mind me butting in here, just curious, what are they mining for??

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

scudzilla wrote: »
    Don't mind me butting in here, just curious, what are they mining for??

whatever the chinese want.
    generally its iron ore, coal, gold, bauxite. they have uranium too in oz but i dont think i'd like working in a uranuim mine.

kittex wrote: »

Thanks for that. they are sponsoring my 457 visa so i dont know how easily i can switch employers. the money seems good its just that there are 0 adds for my level with the salary given. think i'll just take it.

Ah, 457, yes, on one myself.

Even if the salary is slightly lower (and it won't be a huge amount if it is) then there's the benefit of the visa.

What's the role? How experienced are you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

just wondering guys.where do they advertise these mining jobs?Sound like great money.
    Is most of this type of work on the east or the west coast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Do you need experience for these mining jobs, or are they low-skilled labour ones ?

Ah, 457, yes, on one myself.

Even if the salary is slightly lower (and it won't be a huge amount if it is) then there's the benefit of the visa.

What's the role? How experienced are you?

1 have one years experience at home as a civil engineer. i will be working in a similar role here. don know too much about it yet ut they are very keen to get me out there.

just wondering guys.where do they advertise these mining jobs?Sound like great money.
    Is most of this type of work on the east or the west coast?

There are mining jobs everywhere there are mines. The pay is good in some because the work is hard and you are stuck in the middle of nowhere.
    Dave! wrote: »
    Do you need experience for these mining jobs, or are they low-skilled labour ones ?

There are some of these but i dont know how you get them. maybe kittex can add some info. I think to work for the actual mining companies as unskilled labour you need to get lots of safe-pass type qualifications. There are also unskilled bar/cleaner/chef type jobs in the mining towns. i think they pay very well for the work done and you get free board so its good to save money.

uglyjohn wrote: »
    There are some of these but i dont know how you get them. maybe kittex can add some info. I think to work for the actual mining companies as unskilled labour you need to get lots of safe-pass type qualifications. There are also unskilled bar/cleaner/chef type jobs in the mining towns. i think they pay very well for the work done and you get free board so its good to save money.

In this town anyway, there are very few unskilled jobs openly advertised. The only people with no experience that I know, were here anyway with husbands working in the mine. They did their dump truck training at the local TAFE then left their jobs for the mine. And yep, you need all you health and safety things regardless.
    Chefs etc, tend to get poached from restaurants and areas around the town. Our local restaurant only just got a chef, after being closed for 2 years as the mine kept taking their staff!
    Tinto also have links with all their local schools for pre-apprenticeship and apprenticeship programs, with so and so's son getting placed etc.

There are employment agencies and sub-contractors who employ staff specifically for the industry.
    There's Hogan,
    http://www.hogan-mining.com.au/jobs-unskilled-mining-jobs.html
    and DT for example:
    http://www.dtworkforce.com/

There's some info here which is good. http://www.minesource.com.au/Unskilled_Mining_Jobs_Available.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

There are employment agencies and sub-contractors who employ staff specifically for the industry.
    There's Hogan,
    http://www.hogan-mining.com.au/jobs-unskilled-mining-jobs.html
    I have just registered with Hogan..have you any previous experience dealing with them.

Advertisement