Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Bravia tv boken .. help needed !

Options
  • 18-01-2010 6:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭

Hi all, i need help trying to pursue my local Sony center about a fault which has appeared on my bravia tv..it is a k series 40" lcd
    3 small vertical bleed lines have appeared on the lcd
    The lines are a few mm in diameter and are roughly 100-120 mm apart
    When i contacted the Sony center where i purchased it they informed me it only has a 1 year warranty.
    The tv was purchased in jan 2008 and is not 3 years old yet!
    I stated i would check out my consumer rights and have since learned that even though the manufacturer warranty was only 1 yr i am still protected under the consumer protection act of 1980.
    I need advice on how to pursue this matter and seek clarification with regards to the fact that the retailer i purchased the tv off are an outlet of the manufacturer ?
    When i reported this problem to the sony center i was fobbed off with the usual excuses but this tv cost me 1800 euro and it has not lasted 3 years..
    Surely a TV of this caliber could be expected to last longer?
    If i seek a permanent repair or replacement what are my chances of success without taking this to the small claims court?
    Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.
    regards, Noel.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

If the shop are stonewalling you, send a letter (via registered post) to the manager of the shop, stating your problem and what remedy you would like. State in the letter that if you aren't offered this then you will lodge a case with the small claims court. Unfortunately, there is no other way if the shop are stonewalling you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Go to the store you bought it in, in a normal voice report the problem and the fact that goods under the SoG 1980 act should have a reasonable life and that you consider a TV for 1880 should have more then 2 year's life in it. If they disagree or go with the 1 year warranty ask for the manager in a normal voice, repeat it and if they give the same spiel send a written complaint letter to the store stating that they have 10 days to come back to you or you'll start a SCC case.

The key thing is not to make a scene out of it and get a manager to say no (note down his name for the SCC proceedings). Sony will normally not dispute it once it goes SCC but yes, you may have to go that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Messed Up Mind

You're better off contacting a Sony Authorised Service Centre to help with your problem. Most of them will come out to your house to solve the problem within your warranty where as if you were to go through your Sony Centre, it would take longer to resolve the problem. Just give one of them in your locality a ring and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

You're better off contacting a Sony Authorised Service Centre to help with your problem. Most of them will come out to your house to solve the problem within your warranty where as if you were to go through your Sony Centre, it would take longer to resolve the problem. Just give one of them in your locality a ring and see what they say.

That maybe but any future issues may not be resolved as his contract is with the store (I believe it is a franchise) and they are within their rights not to touch something that has been repaired elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Op your contract of sale is with the shop so why not force them to do all the leg work on this as you have paid dearly for their after sales care! They are obliged to sort this out for you and can not tell you to go through sony with this.

Also as the sony warrenty is up using any sony authorised repair centre is not an option unless you want to pay for the repair! Go with the small claims court as most of these shopkeepers will not let it go that far but they will usually insist right up to the court steps that you have no Rights apart from the sony warrenty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Ok.. Thanks for all the advice so far!
    I went to the shop where i purchased the tv today.
    By pure chance i spoke to the manager about my problem and the fact that i was stonewalled by his staff pre xmas and that i was seeking a repair or replacment.
    He rattled out the old " out of warranty" line and claimed nothing could be done!
    SO....
    I informed him i was fully aware of my rights under the 1980 act with regards to this and i requested that the shop act on this matter or i will have to take action against them...
    SO..... He suggested that they take the Tv to a sony engineer to diagnose the fault... but he insisted i have to pay a 70 euro deposit to the shop for the engineers report which would be refunded if the fault was not deemed to have been caused by me!
    I stated that i was considering an independent Engineers report on the Tv but i would contact the shop in due course about this..
    The manager was bullish until he knew i had full info on my rights..
    In an attempt to further clarify that i knew my rights and that i am willing to act on them, i stated that i am fully aware an independent Engineers report is sufficient for the SCC if it is necessary to take this matter that far.
    At this point the manager the manager became very helpful and indicated the shop would do everything possible to resolve this problem.
    I will let the shop take the Tv to their engineer but is this 70 euro deposit a normal request or are they trying something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

barney 20v wrote: »
    Ok.. Thanks for all the advice so far!
    I went to the shop where i purchased the tv today.
    By pure chance i spoke to the manager about my problem and the fact that i was stonewalled by his staff pre xmas and that i was seeking a repair or replacment.
    He rattled out the old " out of warranty" line and claimed nothing could be done!
    SO....
    I informed him i was fully aware of my rights under the 1980 act with regards to this and i requested that the shop act on this matter or i will have to take action against them...
    SO..... He suggested that they take the Tv to a sony engineer to diagnose the fault... but he insisted i have to pay a 70 euro deposit to the shop for the engineers report which would be refunded if the fault was not deemed to have been caused by me!
    I stated that i was considering an independent Engineers report on the Tv but i would contact the shop in due course about this..
    The manager was bullish until he knew i had full info on my rights..
    In an attempt to further clarify that i knew my rights and that i am willing to act on them, i stated that i am fully aware an independent Engineers report is sufficient for the SCC if it is necessary to take this matter that far.
    At this point the manager the manager became very helpful and indicated the shop would do everything possible to resolve this problem.
    I will let the shop take the Tv to their engineer but is this 70 euro deposit a normal request or are they trying something?

Its fine IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

What Sony Centre is this OP?

The Wexford Sony center, main street Wexford town..
    In fairness they we're good to deal with at point of purchase and even delivered the TV after hours ..
    but.... i will hold my judgement on this particular shop until i get this issue sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

That sounds reasonable.

If it turns out you knackered it, the shop wont be out of pocket.

Looks like you are getting sorted. Keep us posted please.

• Advertisement

Will do...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

It sounds fair enough. If the fault was shown to be form weear and tear as opposed to an existing manufacturing flaw you may not get any satisfaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

TBH I would be present when this diagnosis is being done, one will look out for the other in regards to business and you can still get screwed, I'd go the independent route if I were you!

Advertisement