Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Normal cold - no hot

• 18-01-2010 9:50am
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,529 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Strange one at the minute. I have full cold water pressure. Tanks are full and no issues there. Problem is that there is no hot water. If the taps are left, pressure is normal for a few seconds then goes down to a trickle at most. What could be causing this? Ive tried clearing the pipes thinking it was an air lock (tuve from cold to hot, and also finger over hot tap and turn on).

Is this a general pressure issue, due to the recent water shortages? Or is it something like a pump?

Any ideas welcome,

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Is there a pump on your hot water? Are all hot water taps the same?

If no for the pump then it does sound like airlock. Dont know what tuve is so dont understand your method of removing the airlock. What I would do is either
    1 - if your kitchen tap is a mixer of cold mains and hot, then turn tap lever where both hot and cold would be coming out of tap. Put the palm of your hand under tap to stop the flow and turn on and leave run for a few minutes. The mains cold should push the air back up (providing you have enough pressure given the water issues lately).
    2 - if not a mixer, use a hose and connect cold mains to hot tap. Turn on hot and cold together and leave run for a few minutes.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,529 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Sorry, tuve was meant to be tube :o Similar to what you said about the hose.

I will try the mix of taps in the kitchen. All taps are the same. I did try that in the bathroom, but the pressure was low all round at the time (was last week).

I dont know if there is a pump, as Im only renting, but the hot water taps genearlly have quite low pressure, so Im assuming there isint...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

That won't work from a bathroom as they are normally fed from a tank. You need to use something with better pressure than tankfed. Either mains or something pumped.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,529 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

bazwaldo wrote: »
    That won't work from a bathroom as they are normally fed from a tank. You need to use something with better pressure than tankfed. Either mains or something pumped.

I shall try it from the kitchen so and let you know how I got on. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 40 nodnod

Hi have similar problem and no pump on system
    tried putting hand on Cold mixer in kitchen still getting no pressure
    will try to get tube and retry might get more reverse pressure .
    I have cold water but no hot water, there is water in the hot tank in attic so i think there may be an airlock , but look for any hints or tips
    thanks guys or girls

• Advertisement
Advertisement