Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Workmanship?

• 18-01-2010 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I was digging through the planning regulations to see exactly what needed to be covered when building a house. It defines an entire section for "Workmanship" which from what I can tell means best practices.

I was just wondering what this part of the planning regulations actually covers and is it purely subjective? For example if insulation is fitted incorrectly or a ceiling is off does this fall under workmanship?

As an ordinary joe, how do I know what is good / acceptable workmanship?

Thanks
    Fred

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

You hire a professional to check it...

And from a layman's view... best bit of advice I was given - 'The eye never lies' if it looks wrong then it is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

JuniorB wrote: »
    You hire a professional to check it...

And from a layman's view... best bit of advice I was given - 'The eye never lies' if it looks wrong then it is wrong.

Agree 100 per cent with this. In my case, my fears about the shoddy workmanship on my house were proven correct when I got a new engineer in to check the build. Don't be afraid to voice your concerns to a builder or better yet, get your engineer in to affirm/allay your fears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 stertman

I've bought my house off the plans, the developer allowed us to increase the spec beyond a builders finish, that the other units were provided, we agreed a price.

The walls don't look right, the fire place doesn't look right. The ceiling jumps when we close the door.

The staircase looks strange against the walls, the skirting and coving really draws attention to the flaws in the walls. Whats worse the painter has done two rooms in a vinyl/sheen paint (sorry not 100% sure what it's called, basically not matt). This again reflects the light off the walls showing it's in a bad condition.

We are set to make the final down payment at the end of February, but we fear that it's gone too far now that these things can't be fixed. All along we've been told it will all be sorted in the big picture (by the developer and their engineers).

Just a little frustrated that after 2 years of waiting for this development to be completed that it's turning out as it has. My own engineer that I have brought onboard claim that the workmanship isn't up to scratch and that it was rushed towards the end to get towards the next phase of payments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

stertman wrote: »
    I was digging through the planning regulations to see exactly what needed to be covered when building a house. It defines an entire section for "Workmanship" which from what I can tell means best practices.

I was just wondering what this part of the planning regulations actually covers and is it purely subjective? For example if insulation is fitted incorrectly or a ceiling is off does this fall under workmanship?
    It's got nothing to do with planning regulations. It's the building regulations. Part D.
    stertman wrote: »
    Just a little frustrated that after 2 years of waiting for this development to be completed that it's turning out as it has. My own engineer that I have brought onboard claim that the workmanship isn't up to scratch and that it was rushed towards the end to get towards the next phase of payments.
    Hire somebody to make up a snag list.

Advertisement