Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dampness

• 18-01-2010 10:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭

hi. im building a new house at the moment and its fully plastered in side and dried out fully.but i was in there yesterday and i noticed a damp patch on the wall starting at the floor. does anyone know how this could be happening and how could i go about fixing it???? thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Could be anything or nothing at all, sometimes plaster in certain areas takes longer to dry out, other times it might be slab nail in pipework, I would'nt say its rising damp or lack of DPC under wall as it takes a long time for dampness to show but having said that anything is possible.

Mark top of damp spot, side of damp spot etc with pencil to monitor if dampness is increasing or decreasing, if increasing have a look to find out what could be behind wall, rads close by? toilet? kitchen?, if its rads then check heating pressure gauge for loss of pressure, plumbing pipes might be hard to tell without opening up wall.

If you have slab nail in heating pipe but heating has not been turned on yet, when you turn on heating you'll find the dampness turning into a flood of water.

One last thing, if dampness is at bottom of wall that could be where leaking water is accumulating, meaning water can leak from anywhere above but only show signs at lower levels, can sometimes turn out a head ache finding a leak, rule out all obvious stuff first, check all plumbing above and around dampness, exposed pipes and fittings, toilets, showers, basins and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭joeduggan

thanks for your reply items but its definitely not plumbing cos theres no water connected yet. the plaster is drying out over two months and the patch where the dampness is , was dry . its only since the very heavy rain that ive noticed it. thats why i think its rising dampness. there isnt a leak in the roof either. so really i need a solution for rising damp. thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭gillad

If the dampness is under a window,it could be a problem with the windowcill.Seal the cill with a good paint-on sealant.
    Is the outside plastered? Check for a crack in the plaster outside.Rain can go through a small crack and cross to the inside on a dirty walltie or other cavity bridge.
    Is the ground level/footpath outside lower than floor level?
    If there is a radon barrier,water can pool below floor level.Drill a hole outside,2 inches below floor level to drain any water buildup in the cavity.

Advertisement