Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tens Machine

• 18-01-2010 11:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭

Hi girls,
    Can those of you that have used a TENS machine in labour give the brand/model name and say whether you recommend it or not?

I suffer from very bad back pains and my physio has suggested buying a tens machine for that, I was hoping to combine it for labour also (due in 4 months) but from what i've seen online there are specific tens machines purely for labour. Some of them are very dear so I want to make sure I don't blow my money:rolleyes:
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

I don't know much about them, but I saw LIDL's were selling them at a good price this last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭emmiou

I bought this one http://www.physio-med.com/modules/shop/view.asp?Prodcode=TPN%20400%20D&catid=1&rangeid=14
    its an obstetric TENS - I think the difference is the boost button for use during contractions. I've used it for two labours and have loaned it out to a few friends - some of whom have previously rented devices from Medicare and thought this TENS had the same effect. It costs the same to buy this as to rent one here!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭beachbabe

I got one which was great. Have lent it to a freind so can not check the brand, but on the website www.2as1.ie there is a link to it. It was about 10 euro more expensive than hiring one, so well worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 BigBelly

You can hire one from Boots, they're not expensive and if you decide its not for you, you can bring it back and will receive a partial refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭woggie

Thanks for that - didn't know you could rent from Boots, might try that option out before buying :D
    Thanks again

• Advertisement

The only problem with hiring is you want to make sure you have it in advance in case you go early, and then if you go over it's more expensive. That's why I purchased one.

Good point beachbabe, my only problem with buying is I need one - probably permanently - for continuous back pains, but i'm not sure if these can be used in labour also. Any of the ones i've seen online for labour seem to be specifically for labour. Obviously i don't want to end up with 2:confused:

The one I got was for labour and other things like back problems, you just have to use different settings.

Thanks, appreciate that;)

• Advertisement

No prob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

beachbabe wrote: »
    Used this company's product also (an older model). Bought it new via Ebay, about €90 or so in 2005 - was nearly that to rent one for 2 weeks if I recall.

Did you find it good Dfens? Would you recommend it for labour/other pain?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭emmiou

Likewise, the TPN400 I bought can also be used for back pain. It is a dual channel TENS machine i.e. you can attach two sets of electrodes. In addition, it has a boost button on a seperate lead you can keep held in your hand during contractions - you can keep the TENS unit attached to your clothing, and once you are happy with the settings you don't have to mess around with the controls again unless you want to increase the intensity - I wouldn't get one to use during labour without the boost facility - I think it in itself acts as a distraction of sorts during the contractions.

If you attach the electrodes to your lower back and feed the wires up under your bra strap at the clasp, over your shoulder and into the TENS, it stops the wires getting in the way when using the toilet, being examined etc.

I found it here for much less than I paid http://www.gymworld.co.uk/prodpage.asp?ProdID=2448 . I was able to get a bulk order of extra electrode sticky pads online from Australia for a very good price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

woggie wrote: »
    Did you find it good Dfens? Would you recommend it for labour/other pain?

I found TENS brillant for both of my labours, this old thread might be informative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I bought a labour TENS but didn't get a chance to use it.

I'll probably never use it if you'd be interested in buying it off me? PM me if you are :)

This is the one I bought:

http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=1008&storeId=90&productId=322651&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=&top=&top_category=&fromPage=Search&hotspot_prefix=

thanks guys,
    I ended up buying one of the meditens and have been using it on my back pains already - seems to be giving some relief so thats a good start.
    haven't tried the boost facility on it yet, may try it out on the husband first ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

I thought about buying one but was told that you need to get a special one suitable for labour. Was this info wrong, because if I can get one that can be used generally afterwards, i would buy rather than rent.

FI1979 I was under the same impression. However I think the issue is the TENS that are exclusively for labour are no good for regular backache etc but the regular TENS machines don't have a 'BOOST' facility and this is what you need for labour. So if you can find one that does both then it seems yer sorted!!!;)
    I bought the one recommended by beachbabe http://www.neurotech.co.uk/meditensxp_home.php and have been using it for my backache for the last week and really have found relief from it. It has a boost function for labour but won't know how good that is until May :-):P

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sun cream

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone had bought the tens machine from lidl and used it for labour? I see they are going on sale this week and was just wondering if they were strong enough? thanks. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

sun cream wrote: »
    Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone had bought the tens machine from lidl and used it for labour? I see they are going on sale this week and was just wondering if they were strong enough? thanks. :D

No, they're not suitable for labour. Well, they might give you a bit of relief from period-like pains in early early labour, but they are in no way comparable to the ones that are specifically designed for use in labour. They don't have the boost function that is necessary to deal with the sudden intensity of contractions and are really only designed to act like a Slendertone - hopeless for contractions! I'd save my money and either rent one for the birth or pay a bit more and get a proper one.

Advertisement