Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right, Left, Right, Left, Repeat

Options
  • 18-01-2010 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭

Found a lot of good advice from here last year without actually contributing anything myself so I decided it's time to stop hiding in the long grass and actually join in.

First step set up a log.

Little bit of background. 36 years old took up running early last year with the aim of losing 2 or 3 pounds (stone). I also have arthritis in my back and was told improving my general fitness would be of benefit. After a while found I really enjoyed running for the sake of it and not just as a means to an end.
    Decided to enter a few 5K runs then a few 8ks and before I knew it had signed up for a half marathon in December. Put a bit of a training plan together and managed to stumble round in 1:48 now I'm totally hooked.

This year I want to get some more structure to my training, improve my PB's accross the board.

Ultimate goal this year is to run Dublin Marathon. Im going to set 4:15 as my preliminary time target but I really hope I can revise that downwards as the year goes on.

Main target races for 2010 (so far)
    Fields of Athenry 10K
    Craughwell 10 mile
    Connemara Half Marathon
    Galway 5K Series
    Longford Half Marathon (Possible)
    Dublin City Marathon
    Waterford Half Marathon (Depending on recovery from DCM)

Will obviously be adding more as the year goes on.

Because of sickness and bad weather only really got back into training last week but have managed to clock up 27 miles. So far the longest was just over 6 miles yesterday at 8:30 pace. Not going to break down the rest just a few 4 and 5 milers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck with your training for 2010 - you have plenty of goals lined up to keep you motivated!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭theduke1

best of luck with log

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Thanks for the support. Always have found I needed specific targets to keep me focused in anything. I can be a bit of a slacker at times.

4 miles today @ 8:07 pace. New route for me and had a lot more hills than I expected so happy with the time. Weather was dull and a little cool with a light wind just perfect for running really. Legs felt strong most of the way through just a little heavy on the worst hill. Dont seem to have fully cleared a lingering cold yet though and could feel the effect on my breathing at the end.

All in all a good run. :)

Right that was a disaster of a week. First away from Wednesday to Friday with work and forgot my running shoes so no running. Then down with a bad bug on Saturday so had to miss Fields 10K on Sunday. Hopefully thats the end of the bad luck for a while. thankfully its only January still.

Anyway managed to hobble around for 4 miles today, didn't feel great at all for the first mile and wondered if I should have taken a nother day off. Got into it after the first mile and felt reasonably comfortable for the rest. Wasn't paying any attention tomy time so was very happy to see 8:27 pace when I finished seeing as my aim was just to get the legs moving again. Happy enough with the run but really need to get in some serious work now over the next few weeks, am already behind on my Connemara training.

On another note was good to see the prom busy at lunch again for a change.

Distance: 4miles
    Pace: 8:27
    Weather: Dry, cool, sunny, light breeze
    Gereral Feeling : OK

Not a good day today. Supposed to be doing a tempo mile easy 2 mile tempo and 3/4 mile easy. felt fine for the first mile but just couldnt drive on as hard as I wanted after that, the legs just didn't have it in them. Was aiming to get the tempo miles just under 8 but no joy. On the plus side I did manage to increase the pace from mile 2 to mile 3.
    Still at least I got out.

Mile 1: 8:40
    Mile 2: 8:26
    Mile 3: 8:06
    Last 3/4 8:49 pace

Distance: 3.75miles
    Pace: 8:29
    Weather: Dry, cool, cloudy, strong breeze
    Gereral Feeling : Tired, Heavy Legs

• Advertisement

Nice steady 4 miles today. Felt a lot better than earlier in the week thoug still suffering a little from last weekens bug. Deliberately took it easy most of the way just to try and get some life back into the legs. Pushed on a bit on the last mile and felt fine.

Pace: 8:40
    Weather: Dry, cold, cloudy, strong breeze
    General Feeling : Pretty good, legs just a little tired

4.56 miles today on one of my old hilly routes. Legs were still a little stiff and sore heading out after a mile or so started to feel good and strong again. Was able to up the pace on the way home and still felt fresh at the end. Think I have finally put the after effects of sickness behind me. Hopefully can push on from here now.

Think it might be time to get a new pair of runners though, dont seem to have as much cushioning in these any more.

Distance: 4.56miles
    Pace: 8:20
    Weather: Dry, cold, sunny
    General Feeling : Good

7 milesthis morning. longest rub since the Half in Waterford. As usual now legs were stiff and sore for the first couple of miles but losened out welll after that. felt good and strong for the rest of the run and even felt I could have gone for longer. Definitely feeling the strength coming back now.

Looking back on the month times, while I didn't get a lot of runs in early my times are definitely better than at the same stage in the last cycle so thats a positive.

Not going to set a target time for Connemara yet but should improve my time anyway, just hoping the HOTW doesn't take too much out at the end.

Distance: 7miles
    Pace: 8:41
    Weather: Dry, cold, sunny to start heavy smow to finish

Indoor football for an hour last night. Played at a hard pace as uaual so pretty tired today. Stil got my 4 miles in but really felt hard. Managed to get a decent pace though so got to be happy with that.

Pace: 8:32
    Weather: Dry, cool, cloudy, slight breeze
    General Feeling : Legs tired from football

first interval session for a while today. 6 X .25 miles with .25 mile recovery between. Toughest session I have put in so far this year but also the most enjoyable. Really felt the legs strong and got my lungs fully open. Mile warm up and a mile cool down at easy pace 8:40ish.
    Interval sessions at
    6:59/mile
    6:53
    6:51
    6:36
    6:34
    6:47 - Just couldnt keep the pace for the full distance

Recovery pace of approx 8:30 in between for .25 miles

Felt really good throughout even thoug I did die a little on the last interval.

Distance: 5.15 miles
    Pace: 8:16 (Interval Session)
    Weather: Dry, cool, cloudy, slight breeze
    General Feeling : Very Good. Best session this year.

• Advertisement

Nice easy 4 mile recovery run today. Legs were fairly sore from yesterday so no worrying about time just letting my body dictate the pace. Definitely looking forward to a rest day tomorrow.

Distance: 4 miles
    Pace: 9:07 (Recovery)
    Weather: Wet and windy
    General Feeling : Good.

4.5 miles today. Still suffering from pretty sore calfs. Apart from that a good run. Lungs are doing fine and apart from being sore the legs do feel strong enough. Will keep the trainign intensity as it is for another week and hopefully the legs will come round. Got a foam roller in yesterday as well so will give that a try.

Distance: 4.5 miles
    Pace: 8:27
    Weather: Foggy

Found it hard to get myself out the door today. Managed it eventually after a mental kick up the backside.

Glad I did in the end good solid 8 miles, little tired starting off but got into my stride early and felt good at the end. No major aches or pains for a change.
    did a figure 8 from the house and picked up a water bottle at halfway, carried it for half a mile and picked it up on the way back.Definitely better than carrying the full run.

Didnt realise how strong the wind was heading out, last two miles were straight back into it, felt I was going backwards on the exposed sections.

Distance: 8 miles
    Pace: 8:50
    Weather: dry, cold wind
    General Feeling : Very Good once I got going.

No run yesterday due to work getting in the way. To be honest probably didn't do me any harm at all having an extra rest day.
    Absolutely lovely day for a run. Good solid tempo run, felt strong throughout and was able to pick up the pace when required. No wind and no hills so there were no outside influences on time.
    Splits
    Warmup mile 8:26
    Mile 1 7:57
    Mile 2 7:51
    Mile3 7:45
    Cooldown mile 8:30

New runners today as well definitely felt the benefit of the added support.

Distance: 5 miles
    Pace: 8:06 (Tempo)
    Weather: Dry, Calm
    General Feeling : Very good

Perfect day for a run. Reminded me of what I really love about it. Just went out the door and ran today plan was to take it nice and easy and let the legs recover from Yesterday. Ignored the watch entirely just ran out the prom and back again. Could have easily kept going for longer. Felt great.

Distance: 4.63 miles
    Pace: 8:24
    Weather: dry, calm, perfect day for running
    General Feeling : Great, remembered why I love to run again

Nice easy recovery run today. Had to remind myself a few times to drop the pace back, it seems to be a constant problem I have on recovery/long runs.
    Rest day tomorrow then 8K race in Maree on Sunday will add a mile before and after to keep the distance up.

Distance: 4.1 miles
    Pace: 8:52
    Weather: dry, calm, perfect day for running
    General Feeling : Very Good, feeling strong again

Wasn't overly confident heading for the start. Kids awake a lot of the night so not great preperation. Decided to change tactics a little and go out quicker than I normally would and try to maintain the pace throughout instead of rinning second half a lot faster.
    Felt good throughout even on the two hard inclines around KM 2 and KM 5. Passed a lot of people in the middle section of the race and latched onto a group running similar pace with a coupl eof KM to go. Didn't have my usual kick at the end but not surprising as I had went out harder than normal, still managed the fastest KM last. 5 miles exactly on the Garmin at the finish.

Overall time 37:30 improvement of nearly 2 mins on my previous best and over a hilly course. Got to be happy with that.

Mile warmup and mile cooldown to bring it up to 7 miles for the day.

Distance: 5 miles + 1mile warmup, 1 mile cooldown
    Pace: 7:30 (Race)
    Weather: dry, cold, slight breeze
    General Feeling : Excellent, new PB for the distance

No run yesterday, got a kick in the calf playing football Monday night and was really painful so decided not to risk it. That' stwo Tuesdays in a row now missed.
    Went out for 4 miles today at a nice steady pace calf was sore still but nothing too bad. Apart from that no after effects from last weekend.

Pace: 8:20
    Weather: dry, light breeze, sunny
    General Feeling : Pretty Good, no lasting affects from race

Little bit of a struggle to get out today. Was feeling a bit run down. Lack of chocolate I think. After a sluggish first mile managed to pick the pace up pretty well and actually felt great by the end. Ran each mile faster than the previous (I'm sure there is a name for that).

Distance: 5.26 miles
    Pace: 8:16
    Weather: dry, light breeze, cloudy, cold
    General Feeling : Hard to get going but felt good once I did

Same route as yesterday but an nice easy pace. Seems like around 8:30 is my easy pace now. Good improvement on 6 months ago.

Distance: 5.26 miles
    Pace: 8:29
    General Feeling : Good. Nice easy run

• Advertisement

Long run today, switched from tomorrow as wouldn't have had time. 10 miles at a good pace put in a few miles in the middle at my previous half marathon pace just to see how it felt. They felt fine but a bit of a struggle for mile 9 for some reason. Managed to shake it off and felt fine at the end. All in all a good session.

Distance: 10 miles
    Pace: 8:37

4 mile recovery run today. as usual had to force myself to slow down constantly. I really dont know what pace I should be running these at, I just really find it hard to run at around the 9 min mile mark. Should I allow myself to run a little quicker on recovery days or just ut up with it and stay slow. I did allow myself a bit of a kick on for the last mile today.

Any suggestions most welcome

Pace: 8:49
    Weather: freezing fog
    General Feeling : confused over pace.

Going to add some totals as well

Week
    Miles : 28.52
    Runs : 5

Month
    Miles : 74.9
    Runs : 14

Found today tough. Seemed to have no energy at all, very nearly didn't go out the door. Am hoping it's just one of those days and tomorrow will be better. Kids are sick and I'm not sleeping properly so that's probably having an impact on the energy.

Pace: 8:51
    Weather: dull, windy and freezing cold
    General Feeling : Tired, no energy

Weekly Total
    Miles : 5
    Runs : 1

Monthly Total

Miles : 79.9
    Runs : 15

Supposed to be doing a 5 mile tempo run. Managed to go OK for th efirst 3 miles or so but then just seemed to drop off the pace and couldnt get it back. Just doesn't seem to be a lot in the legs at the moment. Think a couple of really easy days are on the way, try and get the energy back.

I wonder if cutting out the junk food is having an effect? Lack of sugar maybe???

Pace: 8:22
    Weather: dull, cold, breezy
    General Feeling : Still tired, legs not going well

Weekly Total
    Miles : 10
    Runs : 2

Monthly Total

Miles : 84.9
    Runs : 16

Nice easy recovery run today. Felt stiff heading out but by the end was feeling fine. Resisted the temptation to speed up for the last mile. Just want to give the legs a bit of a rest.

Distance: 4.1 miles
    Pace: 8:48
    Weather: bright, cool
    General Feeling : Still a little tired and heavy legs.

Weekly Total
    Miles : 14.1
    Runs : 3

Monthly Total

Miles : 89
    Runs : 17

Very similar run to yesterday took it nice and easy for the first 2 miles but this time pushed on for the second 2 just to see if Ihad much in the legs. There was a bit but if I'm honest not an awful lot.

Pace: 8:38
    Weather: bright, cool, showery
    General Feeling : Starting to feel better
    Weekly Total
    Miles : 18.1
    Runs : 4

Monthly Total

Miles : 93
    Runs : 18

Long run today. Deliberately took it very easy. New route with a lot of good hills in it. Felt surprisingly good for most of the way, around 8 miles started to feel a little off but it passed quickly.

Distance: 11 miles
    Pace: 9:04
    Weather: Mostly Sunny but cold
    General Feeling : Surprisingly good
    Weekly Total
    Miles : 29.1
    Runs : 5

Monthly Total
    Miles : 104
    Runs : 19

Monday recovery run. Legs felt a bit heavy from yesterday but not too bad. Nice evening for it.

Pace: 8:49
    Weather: Sunny, cool
    Weekly Total

Monthly Total

Good tempo session today. Legs felt nice and strong, lungs held up well.

Distance: 5.25 miles
    Pace: 8:12
    Weather: Sunny, cool
    General Feeling : Very Good
    Weekly Total
    Miles : 10.25

Monthly Total
    Miles : 10.25

• Advertisement

Supposed to be doing a nice easy 4 miles today. Felt really good though, sun was shining and just one of those great days. Continued on and did a nice 6 miler instead, kept the pace easy. Could honestly have gone for another 3 or 4 easy. One of those rare days where everything feels good. If only they were all this way.

Distance: 6 miles
    Pace: 8:36
    Weather: Sunny, cool, calm
    General Feeling : Excellent

Weekly Total

Miles : 16.25

Monthly Total
    Miles : 16.25

Advertisement