Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right, Left, Right, Left, Repeat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Steady 4 miles today. Still feeling pretty good. Didn't want to overdo it though so kept it at the planned 4 miles. Has actually been a good week so far.

Distance: 4 miles
    Pace: 8:32
    Weather: Sunny, cool, calm
    General Feeling : Excellent

Weekly Total

Miles : 20.25
    Runs : 4

Monthly Total
    Miles : 20.25

Long run today. 12 miles. Second furthers distance I have ever run and the longest in training. felt tired and a bitoff heading out but after around 3 miles it passed. felt strong after that even through the hilly sections. Same route as last week just did a little out an back at the start to make up the extra mile. Pushed the pace a little more just to see what it felt like.

On another note I think that could be the most miles ever for a week.

Distance: 12 miles
    Pace: 8:52
    Weather: Sunny, cool, calm
    General Feeling : Very good after shakey start

Weekly Total

Miles : 32.25
    Runs : 5

Monthly Total
    Miles : 32.25

5 mile recovery run today. Legs felt pretty heavy and didnt have much in the lungs. Think the combination or long run Sunday and indoor football last night had an impact.

Start a mini taper now for Craughwell on Sunday.

Distance: 5 miles
    Pace: 8:40
    Weather: Sunny
    General Feeling : A little tired and heavy legs

Weekly Total

Miles : 5
    Runs : 1

Monthly Total
    Miles : 37.25
    Runs : 6

Shortish tempo session today planned just around 30 mins, actually went a little over it. Nice easy half mile to start with then 3 good miles at 7:45, 7:45 and 7:42. Little over a half mile easy at the end. Surprised that I was able to hit the times consistiently.
    Sore left knee for first half mile just below the kneecap, not something I ever had before but it disappeared totally once I got going. Probably nothing but will keep an eye on it.

Distance: 4.11 miles
    Pace: 8:00
    Weather: Fantastic
    General Feeling : Very good

Weekly Total

Miles : 9.11
    Runs : 2

Monthly Total
    Miles : 41.36
    Runs : 7

4 miles recovery run today. Should have been yesterday but just didn't have time. As usual on last run before a race calfs were tight and shins sore. Never fails. Still hopefully it follows usual pattern and there will be no sign of them Sunday.
    No sign of the sore knee though so that was a relief.

Weather: Cloudy and cool
    General Feeling : A bit sore and stiff

Weekly Total

Miles : 13.11
    Runs : 3

Monthly Total
    Miles : 45.36
    Runs : 8

• Advertisement

Firstly must congratulate Craughwell AC on a fantastic event. Well done to all concerned.
    Race itself went better than I could have imagined. Number pickup quick and without problems. Nice half mile jog down to the start line to get the legs moving. Once the race got going it was a gentle downhill stretch for th efirst few hundred yards, found some space early enough and no real bunching to worry about. Settled into what felt like a nice comfortable pace and at 1 mile a quick glance at the watch showed 7:28, little bit faster than planned but was feeling good so didn't worry about it.
    Settled into a nice pace for the next few miles legs felt great and no sign of the aches from earlier in the week. Through the first water station and then a left hander around 4 miles, could see a hill stretching out ahead not overly steep but seemed to go on for ever. Was expecting this one though so dug in and tried to hold my position. Was really starting to feel in in the legs about 3/4 the way up, early fast pace was telling, so eased off the pace just a little to conserve some energy. At the 5 mile split pace was 7:46 so was happy with it after the climb. Nice predominitely downhill section then for most of the next mile let the legs recover and was feeling good again. Round a bend then and there was the second of the main hills, wasn't expecting this one and again seemed to go on for ever, though it probably wasnt much over half a mile in reality. Surprisingly felt a lot better going up this one than previous and didnt feel the need to drop off the pace much. Even managed to pass quite a few people on it.
    Water station around mile 7 and from then to the end just tried to gradually bring the pace up and see what I had left. Was Surprised that managed to increase the pace on each mile to finish with a 7:04 and a sprint from the turn into the school.
    75:42 on the Garmin so absolutely delighted with that. Official time will be a little slower as it took 15-20 seconds to cross the start line. Was always going to be a PB but never really though I would be mid 70's. Pace per mile was only 4 seconds slower that an 8K 4 weeks ago. Training must be working.

Distance: 10 miles
    Pace: 7:34
    Weather: Perfect
    General Feeling : Excellent.

Weekly Total
    Miles : 23.11

Monthly Total
    Miles : 55.36
    Runs : 9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Fair play, BrokenMan, always good to run quicker than expected! I have to look at the "sprint at the end" element of these races... I was hammered by a rake of people in the final strait!

Thanks ronanmac. When I say sprint what I really meant was a slightly faster shuffle. Thin it was the thought of the cakes in the tent that got me moving.

Indoor football last night as usual. Felt pretty sore starting off but took it handy for the first half hour. Damn competitive nature kicked in then and flat out for the rest. Still no damage done.

4 miles today at recovery pace. Nice and easy. Felt pretty stiff and sore heading out, my thighs more than anything else. After a mile or so started to loosen out but resisted the temptation to push up the pace. Finished feeling good. Im hoping its a sign that things are going well.

Distance: 5 miles
    Pace: 9.05
    Weather: Cold and Windy
    General Feeling : good.

Weekly Total
    Miles : 4

Monthly Total
    Miles : 59.36
    Runs : 10

Interval session yesterday. 9 X 400m. Good mile or more warm up to get the blood flowing and around the same after. Tried to keep the recovery in between much the same time wise as the intervals but towards the end just had to lengthen it slightly. All in all a tough session but felt good after finishing knowing that I had stuck with it.

Intervals Pace

Distance: 6.14 miles
    Pace: 8:14
    Weather: Cold and Windy
    General Feeling : Pretty Good, tough session though

Weekly Total
    Miles : 10.14

Monthly Total
    Miles : 65.5
    Runs : 11

• Advertisement

4 mile recovery pace today. Very windy day as well which didnt help. Seriously tired legs from yesterday. Badly needed rest day coming up tomorrow.

Pace: 8:56
    Weather: Very Windy
    General Feeling : Tired

Weekly Total
    Miles : 14.14

Monthly Total
    Miles : 69.5
    Runs : 12

6 miles. supposed to run the last 3 at PHMP but just didnt have it in me. Legs and lungs were just not cooperating at all today. first mile felt grand but after that the wheels just came off totally, couldnt push the pace up to the required level.

Was one of the first times in a long time that I went straing out after getting out of the bed so might be that. never caused a problem before though.

Distance: 6 miles
    Pace: 8:26
    Weather: sunny, calm
    General Feeling : A bad day

Weekly Total
    Miles : 20.14

Monthly Total
    Miles : 75.5
    Runs : 13

Ok looks like yesterday gets filed under 'One of those days' Much better today.Long run of 12.7 miles probably should have pushed it up to the 13 but just couldnt bring myself to run past my front door and back again.

Was a good run, fairly hilly route. Last 2 miles felt tough, but just the normal that you would expect at the end of a hard week. No aches or pains worth noting either.

Distance: 12.70 miles
    Weather: showery
    General Feeling : Much Better

Weekly Total
    Miles : 32.84

Monthly Total
    Miles : 88.2
    Runs : 13

Nice steady paced 6 miles today. Felt pretty good again so no complaints. New route as well just to freshen things up a bit.

Pace: 8:36
    Weather: Windy
    General Feeling : Good

Weekly Total
    Miles : 6

Monthly Total
    Miles : 94.2
    Runs : 14

5.5 mile tempo run. Didnt feel great going out today, had a late night and was pretty tired. got going though and felt pretty good. Was able to up the pace mile on mile without suffering too much. Eased back for the last half to warm down.

Distance: 5.5 miles
    Pace: 8:02
    Weather: Windy, Sunny

Weekly Total
    Miles : 11.5

Monthly Total
    Miles : 99.7
    Runs : 15

4 mile run. Way tougher than it should have been. Just seemed to have no energy at all. Felt like I was sweating way more than I should have been for the pace as well. Nice easy rest day tomorrow so hopefully that will recharge the batteries.

Pace: 8:54
    Weather: Windy, Sunny

Weekly Total
    Miles : 15.5

Monthly Total
    Miles : 103.7
    Runs : 16

Ok confession time first. missed my 6 miler yesterday. Just had absolutely no energy. Was struggling just to stay awake all day. Been travelling a lot in the last week and not sleeping great, think it just caught up with me. Its only the second day I have missed in the last 2 months though so not going to be overly hard on myself.

back at it today though 12.7 mile LSR again. Deliberately took it slower than I have been just in case, felt it was important to actually get it in, but felt fine all the way. Extra days rest was definitely needed. Thats the last 'long' one out of the way now before Connemara.

Distance: 12.7 miles
    Pace: 9:04
    Weather: Bright and breezy

Weekly Total
    Miles : 28.2

Monthly Total
    Miles : 126.4
    Runs : 17

6 miles at an easy pace in the wind and rain. No major problems, felt good.

Pace: 8:40
    Weather: Cold, wet and windy

Weekly Total

Monthly Total
    Miles : 132.4
    Runs : 18

4 miles last night at tempo. Was feeling tired so couldn't push as hard as I should have done. Generally feel like I realy need a rest now. Going to ease the mileage back nore than I intended now. Want to make sure I hit Connemara fresh.

Pace: 8:12
    Weather: cold

Weekly Total
    Miles : 10

Monthly Total
    Miles : 136.4
    Runs : 19

3 mile recovery today. Nice easy pace.

Distance: 3 miles
    Pace: 8:46
    Weather: cold, sunny
    General Feeling : OK

Weekly Total
    Miles : 13

Monthly Total
    Miles : 3

• Advertisement

2 runs to catch up on. In serious taper mode now

Monday : 3 mile tempo run. Very windy but felt good at the pace.

Pace: 8:04
    Weather: very windy

Tuesday : 3 mile (again) easy run. Felt fine no niggles or anything so far.. Makes a nice change in week leading up to race.

Weather: very windy, sunny

Weekly Total

Monthly Total
    Miles : 9

Just over 4.5 miles last night. Nice easy pace. Still feeling good, no niggles to worry about. Was a beautiful evening for a run.

Feeling reasonably confident for Sunday. Target of 1:40 might be a little ambitious but will give it a serious go. 1:45 was the initial target.

Distance: 4.56 miles
    Weather: sunny, little cool

Weekly Total
    Miles : 10.54

Monthly Total
    Miles : 13.54

Last run today before Sunday. 2.3 miles at a nice easy pace. Still no aches or pains to report so hopefully all is good. Little anxious about the weather as it looks liek it could be fairly warm. Still beats the wind and rain from last week anyway.

Distance: 2.3 miles
    Pace: 8:46
    Weather: sunny, breezy
    General Feeling : Fine

Weekly Total
    Miles : 12.84

Monthly Total
    Miles : 15.84

Best of luck tomorrow, Brokenman. Between the weather, the buzz of a race and running with other people, you'll get that 1:40 no bother! Enjoy the day...

24 hours later now and the body is starting to feel like it’s my own again, my mind will catch up eventually I hope. A truly memorable day from start to finish.
    On the bus out you could feel the anticipation of what was to come. Light hearted conversation and nervous tension was the order of the day. Once the bus turned right at Maam Cross conversation died away and people were taking it all in. Last mile nice and flat, bit of a downhill before that…all looking good so far. Then its over the hill and looking down the HOTW, personally this is where reality hit home, seeing what actually lay ahead. I knew it was there all along but had deliberately tried not to think about it. Well there was no avoiding it now. Instantly my optimism on time was gone, 1:40 with that hill at the end and the hottest day of the year so far, who was I joking. Rest of the way into the start was up and down what looked fairly minor hills until the last one down into the village, looked longer than expected.

2 hour wait for the off but time passed quickly chatting to some friends that I ran into and making some new ones. Weather was fantastic if you were going sightseeing but sure it beats the rain anyway. Up to the start and settled in about ¼ the way back. Once we were off I realised quickly that I was being held up badly and had to pick my way through a lot of traffic in the first mile, 9 mins even for the first was a full minute off what I had planned. Reasoned that it was ok though as it was mostly uphill and I would be glad of the easy start later. Cleared the first hill and settled into a nice rhythm for the next 3 miles or so, some gentle hills but nothing really to worry about, time was recovering and I was still passing people without over exerting myself. Around mile 5 a hill that I swear wasn’t there when we came in on the bus and I started to struggle, managed to dig in though and once I got over it I didn’t feel too bad. Little downhill then just to open the legs out again. Coming near Maam and again a ‘new’ hill, is it the fairies or the sheep that built them when we went by earlier? Around this point you begin to see the HOTW over to the right, and try as I might I couldn’t stop glancing over. It looked even worse from here. Turned right at Maam and crossing the bridge I knew I was in trouble, right calf was starting to tighten up and my pace had just been to high, was really starting to feel the heat as well. I had only been drinking about half bottles at each water station and pouring the rest over my head. I wont be making that mistake again. At the water station around mile 9 took 2 bottles and drained one, drank the other on the go. Round the bend then and it’s time to get up that little hill. First section is probably the steepest ant it just saps whatever is left in the legs, in my case not a whole lot. The rest is not overly steep but just seems to go on for ever, my unending thanks to the people who came out to cheer us on, there is no way in hell I would have made it over without them. I really hope people realise what a difference they do make to the runners. Eventually after what seemed like an eternity I fell over the top and saw the road opening out ahead to the finish. On the downhill I was on autopilot just let my legs turn over at whatever speed they could manage, but once I hit the level section I had nothing left, I came closer at that point to stopping than I had all day or ever had before in a race. I just ran from bend to bend on to the next group of spectators just picking out landmarks and aiming for them. Eventually the finishing chute was there and I stumbled across, and over to the side of the road. I just had to sit for a few mins. Someone handed me water and after a short time I managed to get myself going again. Checked my watch then and saw I had actually set a new PB by over a minute 1:46:31. Absolutely could not believe it and I wont really until I see the chip time.

All said and done I have to say I enjoyed the challenge, I have never had to dig that deep before and I learnt a lot about how far my body will go (it’s a hell of a lot further than I thought it was). Biggest lesson from it is you can never take on too much fluid when its hotter than you have trained in.

Distance: 13.25 miles (accordin to Garmin)
    Pace: 8:02
    Weather: sunny, hot
    General Feeling : Good before, exhausted after

Weekly Total
    Miles : 26.09

Monthly Total
    Miles : 29.09
    Runs : 6

BrokenMan wrote: »
    once I hit the level section I had nothing left, I came closer at that point to stopping than I had all day or ever had before in a race.

Strangely enough, exactly how I felt. Not sure why, probably because you've gone up the hill, you've gone down the hill, and surely, that should be that!?

Out last night for a nice easy 2.5 miles just to see how the legs felt. Pretty tight in the thighs and calfs but apart from being stiff I don't think there is any lasting damage. Not physically anyway. Ease myself back into it gently now for the week and see where things go from here.

Distance: 2.5
    Pace: 9:38
    Weather: sunny
    General Feeling : Not too bad

Weekly Total
    Miles : 2.5

Monthly Total
    Miles : 31.59
    Runs : 7

Nice easy run at lunchtime. Still a lot of soreness to get rid of but managed to up the pace just a little for the last mile.

Distance: 3
    Pace: 9:14
    General Feeling : Not too bad

Weekly Total
    Miles : 5.5

Monthly Total
    Miles : 34.59
    Runs : 8

Tried to bring the pace back up slightly today and increase the distance. Thighs felt absolutely fine but the calfs were really playing up still. All in all though recovering pretty well from the weekend.

Distance: 4.07
    Pace: 8:48
    General Feeling : Getting back to normal

Weekly Total
    Miles : 9.57

Monthly Total
    Miles : 38.66
    Runs : 9

• Advertisement

A meduim distance run yesterday. thought recovery was going OK but not sure now. Started off Ok but as soon as I had a hill to go up, about 2 miles in, my left calf started screaming abuse at me. Felt as if it was going to cramp up any second. Lasted right through to the top, about half a mile. Settled down once I leveled out but on the next hil was exactly the same. Managed to carry on and again eased once I got back on the flat. Had intended a 10 miler but took the short way home in the end.
    Think a sports massage is called for.

Distance: 7.7
    Pace: 8:57
    General Feeling : Pretty Bad

Weekly Total
    Miles : 17.27

Monthly Total
    Miles : 46.36
    Runs : 10

Advertisement