Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right, Left, Right, Left, Repeat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Little chat with myself after Sunday and decided to try and get some pace back into my runs. Looking back the slower I go in general the more I feel my legs. Went out this evening with the intention of pushing it a bit. Felt heavy legged first mile (8:13) but after that a huge improvement. Pushed a little harder each mile and finished with a 7:32.

Mow need to get my weekly miles back up again mid to high 20's, got to keep ticking over until I start Marathon Programme end of June. 5K series will hopefully keep me honest.

Distance: 4
    Pace: 7:58
    Weather: sunny
    General Feeling : Good

Weekly Total
    Miles : 4
    Runs : 1

Monthly Total
    Miles : 50.36
    Runs : 11

Decided to put in another relatively fast run today just to see how the body will react. Felt fine during it all the aches and pains seem to have gone and no lasting major damage. Have managed to pick up two black toenails though, middle on my left foot and one beside the big toe on the right. Never had one before.

Very similar run to yesterday.

Distance: 4.02
    Pace: 7:59
    Weather: sunny

Weekly Total
    Miles : 8.02
    Runs : 2

Monthly Total
    Miles : 54.38
    Runs : 12

4 miles again today at very similar pace. Got to admit I am liking these fastish runs (by my standard). Not taking as much out of me as I thought. Maybe I was taking things too easy training for Connemara. Something to consider anyway. Slight pain around the knee again but nothing major I think.

Pace: 8:01
    Weather: cloudy but warm

Weekly Total
    Miles : 12.02
    Runs : 3

Monthly Total
    Miles : 58.38
    Runs : 13

Easy enough run yesterday, just out clearing the head after a few beers Friday noght. Felt good really wasn't keeping an eye on the time at al just running at what I felt was comfortable. Very surprised att he end to see the pace was actually fairly good.

Distance: 4.55
    Pace: 8:10
    Weather: cloudy but warm

Weekly Total
    Miles : 16.57
    Runs : 4

Monthly Total
    Miles : 62.93
    Runs : 14

Nice longish run yesterday. Legs were a little sore for the first few miles but OK then. Went a little quick again just to see how it felt. Dont feel any major after effects today so think after the week now I'm going to try an increase the speed in general on my runs.
    As an experiment took no water with me this time. Did notice it in the last few miles alright.

Managed to get a resonable amount of miles in this week as well.

Distance: 10.1
    Pace: 8:37
    Weather: cloudy but warm, failry breezy

Weekly Total
    Miles : 26.67
    Runs : 5

Monthly Total
    Miles : 73.03
    Runs : 15

• Advertisement

Tuesday Night.
    First 5K race since last August sometime. Was a bit tired from last week and a hard football session Monday night. Didnt have much idea on how to pace it and probably went off too fast. Got caught futher back than I hoped and tried to make it up too quick. All in all an enjoyable run, looking forward to the shorter distances now over the next 5 weeks. Nice new PB 22:35 as well, although since my old one was somewhere in the mid 24's I would have been fairly upset not to beat it.

Race Distance: 3.1
    Pace: 7:12
    Warmup/Down : 1 mile
    Weather: breezy and light shower
    General Feeling : OK

Weekly Total
    Miles : 4:1

Monthly Total
    Miles : 77.13
    Runs : 16

Today
    4 miles recovery run. Legs were pretty wrecked to be honest. Had to stop at half way to stretch the calfs out. All in all not a good day but suppose it was to be expected after upping my speed last week and a fairly hard race (by my standards) Tuesday.

Pace: 8:57
    Weather: breezy and sunny
    General Feeling : Wrecked

Weekly Total
    Miles : 8.1

Monthly Total
    Miles : 81.13
    Runs : 17

Decided to give myself the weekend off just to let the body recover properly, was nursing a pretty nasty cold as well and didn't want to make it worse. Last week definitely the lowest mileage week all year so far. Back out today for a nice easy 4 miles. Nothing major felt pretty good all the way round.

Pace: 8:27
    Weather: breezy and sunny
    General Feeling : good

Weekly Total

Monthly Total

Legs were feeling fresher this week than last but was still trying to clear the last of the weekends cold. Started a bit closer to the front this time just in the hope of getting more room early on. Seemed to work out fairly well.
    Went off at a good clip and apart from struggling to get my breathing sorted out for the first mile it was a good run. Pushed pretty hard throughhout and didnt have a whole lot left for the last 200 meters.

Delighted with a new PB 21:26 (nearly a minute 10 off last week) and over 4 minutes off my first ever 5K last July.

Distance: 3.1
    Pace: 6:54
    Weather: cool and bright
    General Feeling : great

Weekly Total
    Miles : 7.1

Monthly Total

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Great running, doing serious damage to those PBs!

• Advertisement

Thanks Ronan. One of those days yesterday everythign seemed to go to plan. Don't know if I will improve the time over the next 4 though. If I could get it under the 21 mins though I would be thrilled. Had targeted getting under 22 for one race at the start so probably being a bit optomistic , nothing new for me though.

Am not really built for speed!

Sitting at home bored last night so went out for a nice easy run in the rain. Just listened to my body and ignored the watch. Was actually refreshing feeling the rain for a change and not worring about the time made a nice difference.

Pace: 8:30
    Weather: Wet
    General Feeling : great

Weekly Total
    Miles : 11.1

Monthly Total
    Miles : 11.1

Still feeling a litte under the weather so a nice easy 4 miles today just to open the lungs up. Was fairly breezy out the prom but felt good all the way.

Pace: 8:29
    Weather: Breezy

Weekly Total
    Miles : 15.1

Monthly Total
    Miles : 15.1

Decided to push myself a bit today on my longer run. took the first 5 miles handy enough then pushed on at around 8 min mile pace on average for the last 5. Felt pretty tired for the last mile but overall not too bad.

Starting to seriously think about what training plan to use for DCM. Some of th ebeginner ones seem a little light on mileage but at the same time I dont want to burn myself out by going for too high a mileage plan. May have to try and tailor something inbetween myself.

Distance: 10
    Pace: 8:27 (Last 5 at 8:05)
    Weather: Bright and Sunny

Weekly Total
    Miles : 25.1

Monthly Total
    Miles : 25.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Just read your log for the first time BrokenMan. Same races as me (but different league:p). Well done on all the pbs... wasn't Tuam great :D.
    How's the back been holding up?

Tuam was great alright, looking forward to Craughwell now tomorrow.

My back's pretty good as long as I remember to take my injections weekly. If I forget I know about it fairly quickly.

Another brilliantly organised race. Was feeling much more tired coming into this one than last week as had put in a hard one over the weekend and was at football night before. Still thought I would give it a good go and set off at a quick pace. All fine until the turn at the bottom of the village and the start of the hills. While they were not severe there just didn't seem to be the willingness in my legs to keep turning over at a good pace. Kept going as quick as I was able but was definitely feeling it a lot more than in Tuam. Lask K being mostly downhill was very welcome.

Overall time 21:46, 20 seconds off Tuam time but all in all got to be fairly happy with it, certainly could have been a lot worse if I gace into the temptation to just cruise through from the 2nd K.

Looking back at the mile splits (forgot to switch Garmin to K's) I definitely went off too fast, that's something I am going to have to get out of the habit of doing.

Pace: 7:00
    Weather: Cool and Showery
    General Feeling : Bit Tired

Weekly Total
    Miles : 3.1

Monthly Total
    Miles : 28.2
    Runs : 6

Took yesterday off as my right foot was very sore around the ankle and didnt want to agrivate it. No idea where it came from, hopefully just a kick from football.
    4 miles today at a nice pace. Felt good again. No pain in the ankle. Definitely noticing an improvement on my comfortable pace now.

Pace: 8:11
    Weather: Cool and Showery

Weekly Total

Monthly Total
    Miles : 32.2
    Runs : 7

Nice easy run today. Took things handy. Felt good all the way. Lot of runners out this evening as well.

Will try get two good runs in over the weekend now.

Distance: 3.07
    Pace: 8:25
    Weather: Mostly Sunny but Breezy

Weekly Total
    Miles : 10.17

Monthly Total
    Miles : 35.27
    Runs : 8

First run with the club today. Paid no attention at all to the pace just ran around nice and handy. Made a great change to have people to talk to. When I checked back it was a slow first mile but did pick up nicely as we went along and the last 2 were at a nice clip. guess that is the proper way to run anyway :)

Overall a really enjoyable run.

Distance: 5.8
    Pace: 8:30
    Weather: Mostly Sunny but Breezy

Weekly Total
    Miles : 15.87

Monthly Total
    Miles : 41.07
    Runs : 9

• Advertisement

Same run as last Sunday. Planned to take it handy but just couldn't seem to run at a slow enough pace. Calfs were tught and had to stop twice to stretch them out.
    Seem to be coming up with more questions than answers lately. Really am going to have to get my pacing sorted out before mid June. I seem to be running all over the place pace wise.

Distance: 10
    Pace: 8:35
    Weather: cloudy, warmer than recently
    General Feeling : Bit stiff

Weekly Total
    Miles : 25.87

Monthly Total
    Miles : 51.07
    Runs : 10

Decided to go out a little slower than recently this week and see what happened. Hill during the second mile really set me back though. Didnt have a lot left for that nice downhill finish. Was a little disappointed with my finish time 21:58 but finishing position was best so far so I guess everyone was suffering a bit.

Pace: 7:01
    Weather: wet
    General Feeling : Bit stiff

Weekly Total

Monthly Total
    Miles : 54.17
    Runs : 11

Legs were pretty sore today again heading out. Stopped after a couple of miles and gave my calfs a good stretch. definitely seemed to help on the way back. Took it fairly easy just enjoying the sun on my back for a change.

Pace: 8:36
    Weather: Sunny and warm
    General Feeling : Legs sore

Weekly Total

Monthly Total
    Miles : 58.17
    Runs : 12

Nice group run again today. didnt know the route at all but was very nice. Felt pretty good at a reasonably quick pace. Did feel the heat pretty badly alright though.

Distance: 6.22
    Pace: 8:09

Weekly Total
    Miles : 13.32

Monthly Total
    Miles : 64.39
    Runs : 13

Well that was a bad day at the office.
    Took Sunday as an addition rest day to prepare for a good run. Felt great all day and was in good form at the start. I knew there were hills on the course but I was feeling pretty confident of beating last weeks time at least. As soon as we started off though I knew something it wasn't gping to be good. I just couldnt get into any rythem at all. My legs didn't seem attached to my body and my lungs were burning from the first K. The long hill in the second half nearly killed me glanced at the watch a couple of times and my pace was all over the place. Got over it eventually and tried to kick down towards the finish but just couldnt maintain any proper speed.

No idea at all what went wrong. Hoping its just one of those days. finished in 22:30 ish which was pretty disappointing.

Pace: 7.15
    General Feeling : Disappointed

Weekly Total

Monthly Total
    Miles : 67.49
    Runs : 14

4.1 easy iles today. Felt a little tight in the right calf again. Didnt seem to have any real problems though.

Distance: 4.1
    Pace: 8.33
    Weather: Sunny and breezy
    General Feeling : Fine

Weekly Total
    Miles : 7.2

Monthly Total
    Miles : 71.59
    Runs : 15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

RE Loughrea.
    Sounds identical to my race (apart from a 6 minute difference but hey it's all relative:p). It was just a really tough course.

littlebug wrote: »
    RE Loughrea.
    Sounds identical to my race (apart from a 6 minute difference but hey it's all relative:p). It was just a really tough course.

A lot of people seemed to suffer alright. Not totally convinced that it was just the course profile in my case. I just never felt right from the start. Its happened once before last year, just think it was one of thse days.

Dangan should be interesting next week at least its pretty flat I think.

Ran the reverse of my route from yesterday. Pushed it a bit more today, almost a mini tempo run. Felt fine again actually enjoyed the passing shower I got caught in.

Distance: 4.1
    Pace: 7.59
    Weather: Showery
    General Feeling : Fine

Weekly Total
    Miles : 11.3

Monthly Total
    Miles : 75.69
    Runs : 16

• Advertisement

Recovery run today. My least favourite runs for some reason. Always seem to have pains and never get into a proper pace. As usual found myself constantly having to force myself to slow down.

Distance: 3
    Pace: 9:06
    Weather: Dry, breezy
    General Feeling : Bit sore

Weekly Total
    Miles : 14.3

Monthly Total
    Miles : 78.69
    Runs : 17

Advertisement