Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right, Left, Right, Left, Repeat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Last run before the Half on Sunday. Easy 4 miles in lovely sunshine along the prom. Days like this were made for running. Legs are a little tired as havn' thad a proper taper but sure there is no point worrying about it now.

Distance: 4
    Pace: 8:53
    Avg HR : 163
    Max HR : 176

Weather: dry sunny
    General Feeling : Legs a little heavy

Weekly Total
    Miles : 14.92
    Runs : 3

Monthly Total
    Miles : 148.16
    Runs : 19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Good luck BrokenMan. Hopefully the prom will be just as pleasant in those last few miles on Sunday!

Thansk littlebug, I'm just hoping I will be in a better state than last time I raced through Salthill

From a personal point of view a very good race but I can't allow that to cloud my judgement on what was overall I'm afraid a poorly organised race. From the start things were not looking good, the race pack had your runber a few safety pins a chip and flyers, not even a bottle of water or a mars bar, simply not good enough for the entry fee.

Race morning then a 15 minuite delay so that Ocean Fitness could go through their pre reace warm up. this was annoyng nearly everyone, I can only imagine what the World 50K field were thinking.

The MC at the start/finish area was terrible, at the start was telling people that if we wern't 50K elites then we were 'just making up the numbers', well those of us making up the numbers were the ones actually paying for the event.

Race got underway eventually and I got into a good rythm fairly quickly and the first mile passed nice a quickly at 7:40 pace couldnt have been better. Credit where its due here the road was well sectioned off with bollards and the marshalls were good mile 2 was a little slower with the drag out the dublin road but still running very comfortably. Between mile 2 and 3 I got into conversation with one of the guys doing the marathon and we wound up running the next 10 miles together which was a really nice change for me. First water stop then and we were back to the problems, I knew the water was going to be in cups but these were like bowls, just couldn't drink from them. From here to the square at half way was the most undulating part of the course but managed to keep going at a good pace. Water station on Eyre Square was slightly better, at least the cups were the normal size. Slowed right down then to try and get some fluids on but didn't really get enough. I started to feel the pace a bit from mile 7 or so and the wind was into us at this point so the pace dropped off to around 7:55 for a couple or mile. Once I got to the top of Threadneedle road and took the right hander I started to pick it up again. Field was thinning out quiet a bit at this stage and we wern't passing too many people but there was still always a target up ahead to go for so was able to keep myself going. Last water station a total disaster area you basically had to help yourself from the table, I can obnly imagine it was chaos later on with bigger groups coming through. I took a sip from the cup and tried to pinch the top of it so that I could carry it a little but the cup split and spilt. Nothing for it but to plow on. Along the prom there was good support and it was really familiar roads for me but I was really starting to feel the pace now. I backed off a little for a mile so that I would hopefully have something left at the end and once we passed mile 11 I started to pick it up again and was surprised that I had seemed to have recovered the feeling in my legs. worst section of the race was the out and back the causeway, I hit it a the wrong time just as a rain shower hit, was very glad to see the 12 mile marker out at the furthers point and figured I may as well see just what was left in the tank, tried to bring the pace down around 7 but nearly strainght away started to feel light headed and the muscles were tingling (only real way I could describe it) so I had to back off. Still managed to pass 2 or 3 more runners on the way in but didn't finish as strong as I had hoped. Was told later that it was the lack of fluids that had probalby caused it. Rounded the last corner and had to try and finish with a bit of a sprint, not as good as my usual efforts but still managed something.

Finish time on my watch 1:41:30 so absolutely thrilled with it PB by around 5 mins. 13.26 on the Garmin so must improve my best line running

This has potential to be a very good race but the organisation really needs to be sharpened up. The worst thing of all that I saw was a runner who collapsed just after the finish line, it took 10 minuites to get an ambulance to them, that is simply inexcusable.

Distance: 13.26
    Pace: 7:40
    Avg HR : ?
    Max HR : ?

Weather: dry sunny spells
    General Feeling : Fantastic

Weekly Total
    Miles : 28.28
    Runs : 4

Monthly Total
    Miles : 161.42
    Runs : 20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Fair play on the PB, BrokenMan, sounds like you ran a good race. Was toying with doing this, but with a 65 euro late sign-up fee, I couldn't really justify it. Sounds like a few things need to be ironed out for 2011, if there is a 2011.

• Advertisement

Thanks Ronan, definitely needs a lot of work to bring it up to standard. Hopefully the get their act together though it has the potential to be a good one, route is very good.

well done on a great pb Brokenman! The water stations were a bit of a disaster alright:rolleyes: I'd heard about the man collapsed at the finish line. There was an ambulance crew tending to a girl back at the causeway when I was coming through and I heard that it took a long time for them to get to her too. Whatever about that, or goody bags or food or all the rest of the issues:rolleyes: to not have a medical crew at the finish line all the time is really really bad form.

Back to the DCM training today. Was scheduled for a 5 miler but decided just to do an easy 3 to see how everything was after Sunday. its a high mileage week and just wanted to get a feel for the body. Surprisingly my legs didn't feel too bad, a bit heavy and a few aches around the hip and knee but nothing major at all.

Distance: 3
    Pace: 9:04
    Avg HR : 157
    Max HR : 166

General Feeling : Pretty good

Weekly Total
    Miles : 3
    Runs : 1

Monthly Total
    Miles : 151.16

Wednesday. 10 mile midweek run. Longest midweek run of the program. Doesnt seem that long ago when this counted as my LSR. Out in a group, felt a bit heavy legged and lacking a little in energy but plenty of chat and managed to get around. ungs were fine just some leftover tiredness from the weekend.

Distance: 10.08
    Pace: 8:58
    Avg HR : 160
    Max HR : 173

General Feeling : Bit Tired

Weekly Total
    Miles : 13.08
    Runs : 2

Monthly Total
    Miles : 10.08

5 miles this evwning. Found it fairly hard going. Legs just didn't seem to belong to me. Definitely think its time to book in another massage

HR seemed a bit all over the place as well

Distance: 5
    Pace: 9:05
    Avg HR : 154
    Max HR : 176

Weather: dry
    General Feeling : Not great

Weekly Total
    Miles : 18.08

Monthly Total
    Miles : 15.08

• Advertisement

10 miles this morning. First 3 or 4 were a disaster, legs wouldn't work properly and just wasn't getting into any kind of a stride at all. Settled down after that for some reason though, just seemed to find my stride again and the rest of the run was actually very enjoyable. Managed to get 4 PMP miles in even

20 due tomorrow, if I feel as bad starting out it's not going to be fun

Distance: 10
    Pace: 8:30
    Avg HR : 163
    Max HR : 175

Weather: dry, warm
    General Feeling : Not great at start but got going

Weekly Total
    Miles : 28.08

Monthly Total
    Miles : 25.08

Well managed to get the 20 miles done without killing myself. Fuirst couple of miles were a bit tough but got into it after that. Last 3 were rough though. Just seemed to be dragging myself along. Tiny hills that wouldn't normally be given a seconds though seemed like mountains.

Delighted that I finished it though, but really couldn't see myself going any further today, hopefully will feel stronger at this point race day.

Distance: 20.12
    Pace: 9:06
    Avg HR : 161
    Max HR : 172

Weather: dry, overcaat, humid
    General Feeling : Tired for the last few miles

Weekly Total
    Miles : 48.20
    Runs : 5

Monthly Total
    Miles : 45.20

5 miles yesterday at a slow pace. Legs were just worn out. It was probably the least enjoyable run I have had in a while. Oh well cant all be good ones I suppose.

Distance: 5:00
    Pace: 9:06
    Avg HR : 153
    Max HR : 161

Weather: wet
    General Feeling : Very Tired

Weekly Total
    Miles : 5

Monthly Total
    Miles : 50.20

Had totally forgotten about this race until I got a reminder email. Had entered it for the original date back in July. Was going to give it a miss but decided that I may as well run it and add a mile and a half on before and after to get me the required 6.

Delighted that I did in the end, managed to run it a a good pace and got a good confidence boost out of it. Not totally sure about my time as I forgot to reset my watch at the start and didnt knowc it off for a while after finishing. Think it was around 21:30 but could have been closer to 22:00. Not too bothered about the time really just glad to have had a good run under the belt.

Distance: 6.13
    Pace: 7:53
    Avg HR : 167
    Max HR : 195

General Feeling : Much better

Weekly Total
    Miles : 11.13

Monthly Total
    Miles : 56.33
    Runs : 6

5 miles this morning. Amazing the difference a few days makes and the confidence of a good race. Felt really good and got into a nice stride right from the start. Ran mostly the Streets of Galway route with a small deviation to get back to the office.

Pace: 8:44
    Avg HR : 158
    Max HR : 169

General Feeling : good

Weekly Total
    Miles : 16.13

Monthly Total
    Miles : 61.33
    Runs : 7

Wasn't due a 20 miler this weekend but got the oportunity to run a group one today to took it. figured it is another one in the bank in case of any problems in the next few weeks. Went well really enjoyed the company, usually run my long runs alone. Pace was nice and easy and felt pretty strong most of the time. few little niggles above the knees but they passed.

Picked up the pace a little for the last 3 miles just to see how it felt. was tough but managed to keep it around the 8:30s

Distance: 20.15
    Pace: 9:14
    Avg HR : 159

Weather: showery

Weekly Total
    Miles : 36.28

Monthly Total
    Miles : 81.48
    Runs : 8

Sunday. With the LSR out of the way Saturday just went out for a 6 mile run yesterday. Felt a bit heavy in the legs butno real pains. Tried to keep the pace reasonably quick and managed OK apart from one mile where it just dropped off by 30 seconds from average. No real idea why and it came back grand again after that.

Distance: 6
    Pace: 8:18
    Avg HR : 159

Weather: showery

Weekly Total
    Miles : 42.28

Monthly Total
    Miles : 87.48
    Runs : 9

5 miles today, just wanted to run at a steady pace. Felt really good today, just seemed to have a lot of energy once I got going. Picked the pace up for the last 2 miles. Only down side was the wind :mad: I hate the wind

Pace: 8:29
    Avg HR : 165
    Max HR : 182

Weather: windy

Weekly Total

Monthly Total
    Miles : 92.48
    Runs : 10

Last night 10 mile run. All going grand up to mile 7, nice steady pace and feeling grand. For the last 3 though my knee just started to feel sore right at the top of the kneecap. New one for me, hopefully it's nothing but it is still a little tender this morning.

Distance: 10.06
    Pace: 8:47

Weather: windy
    General Feeling : sore knee

Weekly Total
    Miles : 15.06

Monthly Total
    Miles : 102.54
    Runs : 11

5 mile run at lunch time. Knee still a little sore but nothing major, rest day tomorrow will hopefully sort it out. Nice run in good wather again for a change.

Pace: 8:50

Weather: dry, sunnyish
    General Feeling : OK

Weekly Total
    Miles : 20.06

Monthly Total
    Miles : 107.54
    Runs : 12

• Advertisement

Really tough run today, both calfs were very sore and tight for the first 4 miles, had to stop 3 or 4 times to strecth them. No reason for it that I can think of they felt fine walkign around all day. They did ease out eventually but I couldnt get any real pace going. Ice packs on both for the evening now.

Pace: 8:57

Weather: wet, windy
    General Feeling : Sore

Weekly Total
    Miles : 30.06

Monthly Total
    Miles : 117.54
    Runs : 13

Long run yesterday and I got a bit lost, wound up doing 22 miles instead of my planned 20. I was running at a nice slow pace anyway so it wasn't too hard to get the extra 2 in. Had not intended to go beyond 20 but now that it's done I'm glad that I did.

Calfs were stiff and sore for the first few miles but not as bad as Saturday and they did ease out.

Downside is I have a nice big blister on the side of my foot now, got my feet wet early in the run and guess this caused it, didn't feel it when I was running though.

Distance: 22
    Pace: 9:33

Weather: damp but mild

Weekly Total
    Miles : 52.06

Monthly Total
    Miles : 139.54
    Runs : 14

5 miles this morning. Still gelt the legs from the weekend so headed out at a nice steady pace and kept the eyes off the watch. Found that I was feeling better after a couple of miles and managed to get around without any major mishaps.

Weather: cloudy and breezy

Weekly Total

Monthly Total
    Miles : 144.54
    Runs : 15

10 miles last night. Easy pace fo rth efirst 5 but picked it up over the last 5 to PMP for the last 3. Felt pretty good overall, lungs were fine just still some tiredness in the legs. No major aches or pains either so still on track.

Pace: 8:33

Weather: cloudy and breezy
    General Feeling : Good

Weekly Total
    Miles : 15.1

Monthly Total
    Miles : 154.64
    Runs : 16

Gentle 5 mile recovery this morning. Everything felt good on the run but have a bit of a niggle above my hip now. Not really sure what is causing it but have an appointment for a massage tomorrow anyway so hopefully that will straighten it out. Got a relatively easy weekend coming up anyway.

Pace: 8:53

Weather: bright and breezy
    General Feeling : OK, bit of a hip niggle

Weekly Total
    Miles : 20.1

Monthly Total
    Miles : 159.64
    Runs : 17

Saturday. Good PMP run. No sign of the hip bothering me so thats good. Didn't quiet get right up to PMP but not going to complain over a few seconds.

Distance: 6.21
    Pace: 8:05

General Feeling : Fie

Weekly Total
    Miles : 26.31

Monthly Total
    Miles : 165.85
    Runs : 18

First short LSR in over a month. found it hard to get going but as usual after a few miles was grand. Little soreness in the calf but nothing new. Enjoyable run all told.
    More importantly though that's the 1000 mile challenge completed :) not bad for an ex-fattie who couldnt run quarter of a mile 18 months ago.

Distance: 12.65

Weekly Total
    Miles : 38.96

Monthly Total
    Miles : 178.5
    Runs : 19

Well done on the 1000 miles Brokenman:)

5 miles in the wind and rain. No pains or anything just not much fun it that weater.

Pace: 8:44

Weather: wet and windy
    Weekly Total

Monthly Total
    Miles : 183.5

• Advertisement

10 miles last night 5 at 9 min mile average and 5 at 8 min mile average. For some reason the faster 5 seemed more comfortable. Was struggling pretty badly early on trying to get into a rythm. That's the last of the 10 mile midweek runs out of the way. It's getting real now.

Pace: 8:26

General Feeling : Good second half
    Weekly Total
    Miles : 15

Monthly Total
    Miles : 193.5
    Runs : 21

Advertisement