Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right, Left, Right, Left, Repeat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Easy 5 this morning. Legs felt a little heavy from last night. Tried to keep the miles slower than normal and just enjoy it.

Distance: 5
    Pace: 9:04

Weather: dry, breezy
    General Feeling : ok
    Weekly Total
    Miles : 20
    Runs : 3

Monthly Total
    Miles : 198.5
    Runs : 22

Saturday.
    Just 3 miles to keep the legs loose before Athlone. Major aches and pains in the calfs though. Didn't know what was going on and a real confidence hit before the race.

Distance: 3
    Pace: 8:46

General Feeling : very sore
    Weekly Total
    Miles : 23
    Runs : 4

Monthly Total
    Miles : 3
    Runs : 1

With major doubt about even being able to finis this after Saturday the start was faced with fear for a change. Thankfully it proved to be unfounded and whatever was going on Saturday had left the system totally.

Carparking, registration, warmup all went easy with no issues at all. Beautiful setting by the lake and a fantastic morning.

Had decided that today was going to be decision day for my target time in DCM and I lined up woth the 3:30 pacers, I either finish with then or revise the target....no pressure then. Interestingly we were all walked up to the start from the hotel carpark together with about 5 mins to go to the off. Once we were on the road we were away and down a nice little hill into the village, first mile was slow but the road was narrow and crowded but after that there was no problem with pace for the first 1/3 of the race. Pacers kept a nice steady pace going and there was plenty of chat. Everyone seemed nice and comfortable. The hills were worrying though, we were told it was a rolling course but these seemed a little more than rolling to me.

Over the timing mat ath 1/3 distance (1/4 marathon) and it was time to pick up the pace, I had moved slightly ahead of the pacers at this stage as I didn't want a sudden jump in pace and had picked it up slowly over the previous mile with the intention of lettign the group catch me back up as they sped up. No need to worry the pace was brought up nice and gradual and it wasn't really noticable. the hills just seemed to be going on forever though with very little flat ground everything was either up or down. I was living comfortably at the new speed and feeling pretty confident. At the 12 mile water station I found myself after pulling ahead a bit again, I seemed to get through the station very quickly, but I knew the next 1/3 was coming up soon so I just kept my speed and waited for the pacers to catch up again. Over the timing mat and picked it up to PMP then knowing that this was the section that would tell how the training was going. First few miles were grand with a few little hills but from around 15 miles in the hills just got worse and I could feel myself starting to struggle. Somehow though I was still ahead of the main pace group so I was feeling that I was still on target. That changed though at the last big hill aroung mile 18, I was really struggling up it when one of the pacers and another runner went by me like I was stopped, I tried to latch on but my legs just refused to listen. I barely made it over the hill wothout having to walk feeling sorry for myself but my legs fairly quickly came back to me. I managed to get back up to speed again and set myself a target of catching the two guys ahead. Dug in and gritted my teeth and slowly brought them back catching up just as we neared the gate back into the finish area.

All in all delighted with myself especially the way I was able to come back after nearly collapsing on that hill. Guess all the training has paid off in some way.

Im going to have a go at the 3:30 in Dublin, I don't know if I can get it but I think I can be close anyway.

Distance: 19.75
    Pace: 8:27

Weather: sunny/showery/cloudy
    General Feeling : Great
    Weekly Total
    Miles : 42.75
    Runs : 5

Monthly Total
    Miles : 22.75
    Runs : 2

So after all the hard weeks its time to taper.

5 miles this morning out a blustery prom. One of those runs that I didn't have to think about just seemed to get through the miles without any real effort. Strange as I though I would be feeling some hang over from a fairly tough run on Sunday. Guess it's a good sign.

Weather: windy
    General Feeling : Good
    Weekly Total
    Miles : 5

Monthly Total
    Miles : 27.75

Last night feeling pretty good so decided on one last mid week 10 miler. Went well overall bit of soreness in the first few miles at the bottom of my foot, thats a new one, but it was grand after that. Took it nice and handy and felt pretty happy afterwards. Now thats definitely it for the longish midweek runs.

Distance: 10
    Pace: 9:00
    Weather: dry, calm
    Weekly Total
    Miles : 15

Monthly Total
    Miles : 37.75

• Advertisement

Nice handy run this morning. Bit breezy out Salthill but all in all fairly ejoyable. No song of the pain in th efoot from last night either. Felt very warm out as well.

Distance: 4.75
    Pace: 9:48
    Weather: dry, breezy, warm
    Weekly Total
    Miles : 19.75

Monthly Total
    Miles : 42.50

Programme called for 4 miles today at PMP. Very off form for the first half mile, just couldn't get into it at all. Strong wind out as well wasn't helping. got it together after that tough and managed to get through it. Really couldn't imagine having to do 22 more today. I'm sure it will be different in 2 weeks when I am properly rested.

Distance: 4.
    Pace: 8:03
    Weather: dry, windy
    General Feeling : OK
    Weekly Total
    Miles : 23.75

Monthly Total
    Miles : 46.50
    Runs : 6

12 miles today, shortest Sunday run for a long time. Felt really good most of the way, just seemed to pick up a bit of pain around my ankle at one stage but it went again fairly quickly. Managed to get a blister on the inside of my heel somehow as well, didn't really bother me but could just feel it there over the last 3 miles.

Pretty good run really, legs and lungs felt fine.

Week 1 of taper over. Time to get a last massage now next week and iron out the kinks in the muscles.

Distance: 12
    Pace: 8:50
    Weekly Total
    Miles : 35.75

Monthly Total
    Miles : 58.50
    Runs : 7

4 easy miles this morning. Had a sports massage yestrday and the legs were pretty sore this morning. Just took it handy. Apart from just the genreal soreness nothing seemed too bad.

Distance: 4
    Pace: 8:55
    Weather: foggy, cool
    Weekly Total
    Miles : 4

Monthly Total
    Miles : 62.50
    Runs : 8

Last night. Just over 6 miles. Firs tmile at a very handy pace then picked it up to near 8min miles for the next 5. Felt a little heavy in the legs first quick mile but was grand after that. That's pretty much it now for the quicker runs, maybe just a short one next week. Easy miles from here on in.

Distance: 6.2
    Pace: 8:13
    Weather: foggy, cool
    General Feeling : Little tired
    Weekly Total
    Miles : 10.2

Monthly Total
    Miles : 68.70
    Runs : 9

• Advertisement

4 easy miles this morning. Felt that niggly pain under my foot a bit again at the start but it went away again. Apart from that pretty uneventful really.

Pace: 8:43
    Weather: cool, dry
    Weekly Total
    Miles : 14.2

Monthly Total
    Miles : 72.70
    Runs : 10

Finished my last longish run this morning. Was planning to go out at the normal LSR pace but I just kept finding myself going faster. gave up trying to slow down in the end and just ran at the pace that felt right. Turned out it was faster then MP for the last 3. I'm guessing its the taper kicking in and making the legs stronger. One of thise days I just felt I could keep going for ever.

going to make a more consious effort to run slower for the rest of them though.

Distance: 8
    Pace: 8:09
    Weather: cold, foggy
    General Feeling : Great
    Weekly Total
    Miles : 22.2

Monthly Total
    Miles : 80.70
    Runs : 11

Typical. Everything that was good about yesterdays run was bad today. Couldn't get going properly at all. Legs were pretty tight in the calfs as well.

Think the madness is definitely setting in though. Mystery aches and pains so far today, in no particular order of severity
    Righ Hip
    Left Knee
    Right Calf
    Right Foot
    Lower Back

I'm hoping its all in my head though

Pace: 8:31
    Weather: damp
    General Feeling : Not good
    Weekly Total
    Miles : 26.2

Monthly Total
    Miles : 84.70
    Runs : 12

Easy paced 3 miler this morning. no sign of any of the mystery pains from Sunday thankfully. Legs were not working quite right though, just felt a little sluggish.

Pace: 8:49
    Weather: sunny, cool
    Weekly Total

Monthly Total
    Miles : 87.70
    Runs : 13

Couldn't get into todays run at all. Just felt sluggish all the way around. Right calf was really tight as well. Was really hoping I would be feeling pretty good now, hopefully it will improve by Monday

Pace: 8:24
    General Feeling : Sluggish
    Weekly Total
    Miles : 7

Monthly Total
    Miles : 90.70
    Runs : 14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

BrokenMan wrote: »
    hopefully it will improve by Monday

It will.... the pain will dissipate in the first mile along with all the rest of the taper madness :)

Thanks littlebug, that's what I keep telling myself. Just 4 more days and I get my sanity back (well the little bit I had anyway)

3 miles this morning, felt better than yesterday but still a bit heavy in the legs. Im begining to think it may actually be down to my body being used to running longer and I'm not even getting properly warmed up on these runs. Often on the longer ones I would feel bad going out but would be a lot better after a few miles.

Pace: 8:54
    General Feeling : Bit Off form
    Weekly Total
    Miles : 10

Monthly Total
    Miles : 93.70
    Runs : 15

That's it, all done, next run Monday morning in Dublin. Just 2 miles today at PMP, felt nice and comfortable no signs of any tiredness or heaviness in the legs. No aches or pains either thankfully. Just got to try and keep my mind occupied now and make sure I pack all the essentials.

Distance: 2
    Pace: 7:78
    General Feeling : great
    Weekly Total
    Miles : 12

Monthly Total
    Miles : 95.70
    Runs : 15

Firstly this is long and rambling in places, so apologies to anyone reading. Synopsis at the bottom :D

Race Morning.
    After a restless night sleep the alarm went off at 6:00 and down for the early breakfast in the hotel. Back to the room and got the essentials out of the way. Rechecked the kit for the 10th time since checking in yesterday, surprisingly no one had crept into the room in the middle of the night and swiped it. Taxi was booked for 7:30 and we headed into the start area. The day was looking like it was going to be perfect, nice cool crisp morning without a breath of wind. Met up with some more friends at the start area and passed the time in nervous chat until it was time to head over to the bag drop and make our way to the start. Bag drop was easy and well manned, no problems at all. Kept an old top and hat and gloves on me to the start area, one last pit stop before heading over then I worked my way in just back of the 3:30 pacers. As soon as the wheelchairs went off I got the od gear off and over to the side, last check on the laces and tried not to think about what was coming.

First 10 miles
    I told myself that whatever happened over the first 3 miles I was just going to go along with the flow, I wasn’t going to try and force my way around people to make up time, just stay as close as I could to the balloons but not to swerve too much. The first turn was very tight and I lost a good 10 yards but didn’t let it worry me, plenty of time to get backing position. My legs were feeling fine, none of the problems that were there during taper. Only issue was that I knew I was going to have to pit stop, figured I may as well get it over with as soon as possible so pulled over at the first water stop. When I came back out the balloons were still in sight but probably the best part of a minute down the road. No problems, just bring hem back slowly as we went through the park. Running through the park was amazing,, the colours on the trees and the beautiful clear morning made the running feel effortless. By the exit gate I was back up with the pace group and the support going out the gate would make the hair stand on your neck, just awe inspiring. I knew the drag was coming now and was prepared for it, but I still started to feel in more than I should. First little warning signs were playing in my mind, I should have been comfortable at this pace still. By the time we reached the 10 mile point I had a bad feeling starting to play on my mind. People had been telling me that you should be just out for a jog for the first 10 miles but I was actually starting to feel the strain. Those catch up miles in the Park were just too fast, even though I didn’t realise it at the time.

Miles 10 - 20
    Told myself to hold on pace to the half way point and have a rethink on strategy then depending on how I felt. Started to feel more comfortable again and decided it was just a little early crisis and not to worry about it. I missed the water station at mile 12, it came up on my unexpectedly and I found myself on the wrong side of the road, decided to wait until the end of the station to cut across but the last tables were just sports drink and I left it. Organisation wise that’s my only gripe of the day, particularly in the pace groups there was a lot of congestions, water stations should have been on both sides of the road always, some were and some weren’t. I wasn’t feeling overly worried though and pushed on. Through half way in 1:45 and was feeling OK again so decided to keep on pace. I knew starting out that I probably wouldn’t be able to stay on pace all the way but would hang in as long as I could. By mile 15 I knew it was time to ease off and hold something for the final push in the last few miles. Dropped back to 8:30’s but for some reason it wasn’t feeling any easier. I started to try and interact with the crowd and let my mind get away from the growing pain which seemed to work for a while but by the time I hit 20 miles (the half way point) I knew that I was in for a world of pain for the next hour.

Last 6.2
    I knew the roads out here from my time living in Dublin and had often walked them, I had heard people talking about the hills here but I couldn’t picture them in my mind. Well they were there alright mountains appearing in front of my laughing at my pain. Pump your arms, shorten your stride, don’t look at the top just run. My legs were thrashed by now, pain in every muscle and my knees were in agony. Just run to the next mile marker. Up the UCD flyover and suddenly there were giant hurdles in front of me (ok they were only kerbs, but they looked like Beechers Brook to my frazzled brain). Suddenly without any conscious decision on my part I stopped somewhere after mile 23, one second I was running and the next I was stopped on the side of the road one knee on the ground and my head spinning. A lady was over to me asking if I was ok and telling me to keep going only a few miles left. I took a gel then and just gritted my teeth and got moving again, not really a run just a slow shuffle towards the finish. About a mile later my hamstring decided that it had enough and seized up totally. Once again spectators came to my rescue and stretched out my leg for me and got me moving again. By now all thoughts of time were gone it was just a matter of finish. At no time though did the thought of quitting occur to me. Walk 30 seconds run for as far as I could until a cramp somewhere would stop me again, stretch, walk, run again, and repeat. The crowds were deep by now and every time I stopped the encouragement was unbelievable. The last half mile was just amazing, the support just made the pain bearable and I managed to run (well hobble really) the last half mile at something resembling a reasonable pace. The finish line just couldn’t come fast enough though. Such a feeling of relief to get over it. 3:43 on the watch.

As soon as I stopped moving my legs just gave out and every muscle seemed to go into instant spasm. Some friends had finished just ahead of me, they passed me in the last mile and were waiting for me at the end. They helped me through the finish area and baggage claim.

Aftermath
    I have to say I was disappointed at myself in the hours afterwards. I had been determined not to stop but I really had no choice in it my body just refused to go on. Looking back now I am delighted just to have finished and in a time I would not have thought possible 12 months ago. My first time target was 4:15 back when I started in January and to be over half an hour better than that is an achievement. A few lessons learnt though The pacers are great, but if they don’t fit in with your times don’t try and make them. I really should have tried to run steady 8:15’s and I more than likely wouldn’t have had the collapse that I did in the last 3 miles and would have posted a better time. Run your own race. I ran through the park at an average pace of 7:40, it felt grand at the time but it was really what killed me at the end. Also I never understood what people meant by 20 miles is half way, well it’s true, the mental strength needed for that last 10K is something that will stand to me forever. If I got through that I can get through anything.

Will I do another one? I think so, I am proud of what I did but I think I need to apply what I learnt and run a ‘proper’ marathon.

Apologies for the ramblings again.

Synopsis.

Ran Marathon.
    Blew up.
    Finish 3:43
    Will do it again.

Distance: 26.2
    General Feeling : exhausted
    Weekly Total
    Miles : 26.2

Monthly Total
    Miles : 121.90
    Runs : 16

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Fair play, BrokenMan, a phenomenal run and a phenomenal fight to the end. That sounds like hell at around mile 23, but to finish and come comfortably under 3:45 is fantastic (and especially considering the original target of 4:15!!).

Congratulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Great result Brokenman. You hit the wall and battered your way through it! Great stuff! To be so far ahead of your original predictions shows the ability you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

great report. just after mile 23 was my nightmare mile too! congrats on great race and fantastic time.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

well done - 3:43 is nothing to be sneezed at - fantastic job.

Its amazing what you read and think - "yes I remember that". In your post it was how fabulous the phoenix park was, and yes I went through there too quickly too and paid for it - and the hurdles at the UCD flyover - nearly killed me - remember thinking, why - why would they make us do that :)

Must write up my own story soon....

First tentative steps back jogging last night just to see what damage was done. Took it really easy as the legs were still very stiff. Happy to report though that there doesn't appear to be any lasting damage, just the expected aches and pains.

Thoughts were turning to what to do next. Am seriously considering going for the full in Connemara this year. wont make a decision for a week or so though.

Distance: 2
    Pace: 10:14
    Weather: wet, windy
    General Feeling : sore
    Weekly Total
    Miles : 28.2

Monthly Total
    Miles : 123.90
    Runs : 17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Great report BM and well done on a great marathon debut. Best of luck if you go ahead with Conn

Thought I would try a little longer run this morning to see how thins were going. the legs seemed to have returned to somethign like normal just walking around but after 2 miles I could feel the aches in the old familiar places from Monday. brought a flood of bad memories back to me. Was well out on th eloop at that stage though so decided to keep going. they actually eased out slightly after a mile but for the last mile coming back in they really were aching. Was actually surprised at my pace at the end because I hadn't been watching it at all.

good news though is that its just stiffness. Must get a massage booked in for later next week to help things along.

I think it's the mental scars that will last longer than the physical pain.

Distance: 5
    Weather: cool sunny
    Weekly Total
    Miles : 33.2

Monthly Total
    Miles : 128.90
    Runs : 18

3 miles last night at a handy enough pace. Legs still feeling the same. Tried to pick it up a bit for the last mile to see what it felt like. Not a good idea quads and calfs just gave me a lot of grief.

50+ mile weeks just seem an imposability now

Pace: 8:47
    Weather: damp and windy
    Weekly Total

Monthly Total

• Advertisement

Back to one of my usual short routes at lunch today. Legs are still away on holidays but they seem to be responding a bit more. I think there is some light at the end of the tunnel. Took it very handy again.

Pace: 8:59
    Weather: dry and windy
    General Feeling : Not too bad
    Weekly Total

Monthly Total

Advertisement