Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPAR in blanch hiking up price of beers

• 18-01-2010 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭

Have been buying Corona in my local spar since before christmas when they had it priced at €10 for a 6 pack (on offer), in the week coming up to christmas the offer expired and the price reverts back to €12 (surprise surprise).

Went in on friday past and picked up a case and the paper and brought it up to the till and the guy behind the counter says €14 please, as the paper is €1 i queried the price as i assumed it would be €13 to which im told the price of corona went up last week. I asked to speak to the manager but he was not there so i told him to void the corona i only want the paper as im not paying the extra for the beer and wont be buying any in the future. Its only a euro but this is taking the mick considering that this is the second increase in the space of a month so i wasnt prepared to justify this obvious gouging by paying it.

Went to molloys and they had the same 6 pack for €9.50.

Spar = Ripoff.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

But its not the second increase in a month.

You say it was "on offer". Anything on offer generally sells for a cheaper price.

You also say "the offer expired and the price reverts back to €12 (surprise surprise)." What did you expect it to do ????

Come on, think about what you are saying. Now, I dont know why it went up, and its none of my business (or yours actually). The decision is this; The retailer offers Corona at €13. If you want it, BUY IT - if you dont, LEAVE IT.

:rolleyes:
    Jaysoose wrote: »
    Have been buying Corona in my local spar since before christmas when they had it priced at €10 for a 6 pack (on offer), in the week coming up to christmas the offer expired and the price reverts back to €12 (surprise surprise).

Went in on friday past and picked up a case and the paper and brought it up to the till and the guy behind the counter says €14 please, as the paper is €1 i queried the price as i assumed it would be €13 to which im told the price of corona went up last week. I asked to speak to the manager but he was not there so i told him to void the corona i only want the paper as im not paying the extra for the beer and wont be buying any in the future. Its only a euro but this is taking the mick considering that this is the second increase in the space of a month so i wasnt prepared to justify this obvious gouging by paying it.

Went to molloys and they had the same 6 pack for €9.50.

Spar = Ripoff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

And your point is? do you take pleasure in running around this forum shouting...ITS NOT A RIPOFF...Spar are sticking up their prices when everybody else is bringing them down and this is ok apparently...i didnt buy but im gonna tell as many people as i can about the gougers.

And your point is? do you take pleasure in running around this forum shouting...ITS NOT A RIPOFF...Spar are sticking up their prices when everybody else is bringing them down and this is ok apparently...i didnt buy but im gonna tell as many people as i can about the gougers.

My point?

Half the threads here are not ripoffs at all. Indeed, someone recently had to define from a dictionary what rip off means.

You have the hump because something went up twice (It didnt, as explained it went up only once, as you already know a special offer finished.), so ultimately, you have the hump something went up one euro.

The shop offered something at a price. You dont have to buy it.

Thats my point.

My point?

Half the threads here are not ripoffs at all. Indeed, someone recently had to define from a dictionary what rip off means.

You have the hump because something went up twice (It didnt, as explained it went up only once, as you already know a special offer finished.), so ultimately, you have the hump something went up one euro.

The shop offered something at a price. You dont have to buy it.

Thats my point.

I have the hump as you put it as the shop saw an oppurtunity to gouge extra money from their customers after returning it to the original price, are you trying to tell me that the wholesale price increased in line with the retail?

Its gouging pure and simple no reason for the increase other than they thought they could get away with it.

I am well aware that i dont have to buy it but at the same time it doesnt make it right and i will be letting as many people know as i can so they dont get away with it.

I have the hump as you put it as the shop saw an oppurtunity to gouge extra money from their customers after returning it to the original price, are you trying to tell me that the wholesale price increased in line with the retail?

Its gouging pure and simple no reason for the increase other than they thought they could get away with it.

I am well aware that i dont have to buy it but at the same time it doesnt make it right and i will be letting as many people know as i can so they dont get away with it.

I have no idea if the wholesale price, the shop rent, or the staffs wages went up. How would I?

This is an excellent forum for discussion and allows people to discuss issues and perhaps get an insight into things they may not be aware of.

Suggesting that an offer finishing, (which is natural), followed shortly afterwards by a one euro increase, is a double increase, and is gouging is frankly, sensationalism. Indeed, it may be very expensive at that price, but your description of gouging and a ripoff is OTT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

bit of a shame Tho if someone is upping the price of drink even after the budget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

its corona.
    maybe try a beer that doesnt attempt to be the most premium brand in the country?

I ended up paying 6.50 or so for a 330ml bottle of corona in some hovel in temple bar on a quiet Sunday evening.
    (For someone else i was meeting up with. I wouldnt touch the muck. I was on the black stuff)

At that price its obviously a sign that people who drink it have more money than sense.
    And maybe el Spar is thinking the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

I have no idea if the wholesale price, the shop rent, or the staffs wages went up. How would I?

This is an excellent forum for discussion and allows people to discuss issues and perhaps get an insight into things they may not be aware of.

Suggesting that an offer finishing, (which is natural), followed shortly afterwards by a one euro increase, is a double increase, and is gouging is frankly, sensationalism. Indeed, it may be very expensive at that price, but your description of gouging and a ripoff is OTT.

super...
    this can be valid for ..well everything.
    if no one would bother posting this type of threads boards would be empty, traffic would be zero and mods would be useless.
    board members can judge by themselves if this falls into what they consider a ripoff or not.

its corona.
    maybe try a beer that doesnt attempt to be the most premium brand in the country?

I ended up paying 6.50 or so for a 330ml bottle of corona in some hovel in temple bar on a quiet Sunday evening.
    (For someone else i was meeting up with. I wouldnt touch the muck. I was on the black stuff)

At that price its obviously a sign that people who drink it have more money than sense.
    And maybe el Spar is thinking the same.

What does this have to with spar putting their prices up for no reason?

On a side note i think you will find that corona is not the only overprice beer in temple bar and more fool you for paying that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

I think its a RIP OFF!

Thanks for the post \ heads up Jaysoose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

What does this have to with spar putting their prices up for no reason?

how do you know it was for no reason?
    unless you run a similar shop yourself, you're not going to know the ins and outs of such a business.
    and its 1 product out of several thousand, so it's not rfair to isolate it and cry rip-off, for all we know he might have recently reduced the price of 100 other items

I never mentioned the shops costs or wages so i dont get this reference, offers end of course they do but it cant be denied that the additional increase in price is unjustified and the only reason they can get away with it is if people dont complain.

Its gouging in my eyes so if you think im being OTT then thats up to you but then you are in the industry so maybe your a touch biased towards the shopkeeper.

Im not going to boycott the shop or anything like that as im quite happy to pop in and buy the paper etc but wont be handing them extra money for the craic of it. I have communicated my complaint to them and made them aware that i wont be buying any more beer from them as their prices are out of line with whats out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

OP, it's a fairly mediocre rip-off to be fair. A small price increase - less than 10%. Also, Spar is not an off license, or a supermarket. It is a convenience store - and you pay extra for said convenience if you want to avail of it.

how do you know it was for no reason?
    unless you run a similar shop yourself, you're not going to know the ins and outs of such a business.
    and its 1 product out of several thousand, so it's not rfair to isolate it and cry rip-off, for all we know he might have recently reduced the price of 100 other items

Are you serious?

nipplenuts wrote: »
    OP, it's a fairly mediocre rip-off to be fair. A small price increase - less than 10%. Also, Spar is not an off license, or a supermarket. It is a convenience store - and you pay extra for said convenience if you want to avail of it.

Ok so this makes it ok..what was i thinking.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Good man. You know it makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭collegemum

You will prob find a much better deal in the Carry Out Mulhuddart :)

collegemum wrote: »
    You will prob find a much better deal in the Carry Out Mulhuddart :)

Molloys had 6 pack for €9.50 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Op I think you failed to realise Supercourse point on this:

Special €10

Normal €12

Now: €13

The beer technically only went up by €1 not €3. As it was previously on Special at the €10 the price increase only affects the standard price in this instance. As the special came to an end it was obvious the price was going back to the original cost of €12.

Maybe you and others feel this is a ripoff but it hardly is. A 2% increase on the original price hardly constitutes as a ripoff though. But hey each to their own. Convenience stores like Spar generally are never favourable for the average Joe's pocket.

Op I think you failed to realise Supercourse point on this:

Special €10

Normal €12

Now: €13

The beer technically only went up by €1 not €3. As it was previously on Special at the €10 the price increase only affects the standard price in this instance. As the special came to an end it was obvious the price was going back to the original cost of €12.

Maybe you and others feel this is a ripoff but it hardly is. A 2% increase on the original price hardly constitutes as a ripoff though. But hey each to their own. Convenience stores like Spar generally are never favourable for the average Joe's pocket.

I think YOU are missing the point i never contested that the offer ended and €1 increase on €12 is 8.3% not 2%.

Its a ripoff as the price increase cannot be justified, also the spar is not 8.3% more convinient all for me of a sudden.

• Advertisement

I think YOU are missing the point i never contested that the offer ended and €1 increase on €12 is 8.3% not 2%.

Its a ripoff as the price increase cannot be justified, also the spar is not 8.3% more convinient all for me of a sudden.

Then don't shop there. Why do the Spar have to justify their increases? As I said already convenient stores are not the most affordable places to buy. They never were. Whether its 2% or 8% it still hardly a ripoff.

Oh by the way thank you for pointing out my Math Skills. Im off back to school now as it seems I fail at a simple percentage conversion. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

Hi op. Was it the Spar in Waterville ??

Then don't shop there. Why do the Spar have to justify their increases? As I said already convenient stores are not the most affordable places to buy. They never were. Whether its 2% or 8% it still hardly a ripoff.

Oh by the way thank you for pointing out my Math Skills. Im off back to school now as it seems I fail at a simple percentage conversion. :D

Already posted that i wont be buying any beer in there and communicated as much to the staff, i only pointed out your percentage error as you were using it to make a point so it was relevant.

Spar dont have to justify anything to me but if i had bought it i would be part of the problem which is why i took my money elsewhere, the size of the increase doesnt change the fact that its a rip-off.

will1977 wrote: »
    Hi op. Was it the Spar in Waterville ??

yep

Already posted that i wont be buying any beer in there and communicated as much to the staff, i only pointed out your percentage error as you were using it to make a point so it was relevant.

Spar dont have to justify anything to me but if i had bought it i would be part of the problem which is why i took my money elsewhere, the size of the increase doesnt change the fact that its a rip-off.

That's why I thanked you.

I guess this is going to be one of those things where I don't think it's a ripoff and you do and both our opinions wont change. I wouldn't buy it at that price myself either because I'm a big fan of finding the right price. But I don't deem it a ripoff or feel Spar have to justify said increase. In the end it must work for them as people still buy from places like Spars and pay their ridiculous prices. Convenience for me has always come at a cost and shopkeepers know this.

That's why I thanked you.

I guess this is going to be one of those things where I don't think it's a ripoff and you do and both our opinions wont change. I wouldn't buy it at that price myself either because I'm a big fan of finding the right price. But I don't deem it a ripoff or feel Spar have to justify said increase. In the end it must work for them as people still buy from places like Spars and pay their ridiculous prices. Convenience for me has always come at a cost and shopkeepers know this.

Fair enough lets agree to disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Its a ripoff as the price increase cannot be justified,
    It probably can be. These price increase/decreases have to be justified by somebody, usually the guy setting the prices will have to justify it to the owner, or his superior. Probably something like
    • "so why did you put the corona price up again",
    • "I found we can make more overall profit selling at €13 than on offer at €10, and since the main reason of being in business is to maximise profits I changed to €13. The lazy feckers don't even realise it can be got frequently at €1 per bottle in supermarkets"
    • "good work"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

nipplenuts wrote: »

So 10% increase isn't that great a hike to you?
    Their would be uproar if petrol or deisel increased by that! Also, I took a ten percent CUT in my salary in 2009 and I considered that to be major!

I constantly see the same names appearing on the rip of forum, that belong to the "how is it a rip off" brigade!
    Simple, the last budget reduced the excise duty on alcohol, it was stated CLEARLY that unless retailers passed this vat reduction to the end users, ie US! the govt would reverse the reduction.

If these little shops keep trying to rob the average joe soap in Ireland, average Joe soap will simply stop shopping there, increase his alcohol purchasing up north!

I'm well aware that small businesses need to survive, but their is simply no excuse for some of the price hikes applied to beer post budget!
    I'm sick of hearing excuses from the spars and centras of this world!
    I for one, won't, actually I refuse to buy beer from these greedy lowlifes who think that as it's a local shop, they won't mind paying that bit extra! Well guess what? We do! And I for one will continue giving my hard earned cash to Aldi Tescos or even O'Briens off licenses who don't fleece me each time I walk through their doors!
    The times are changing lads, conmen in Ireland open your feckin eyes pleAse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

think I need a beer after reading all of this :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement