Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Offenders to clean city buildings of graffiti

Options
  • 18-01-2010 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭

Convicted offenders will be cleaning graffiti from city centre buildings in the coming months under a pilot project between the Probation Service and Dublin City Council. Labour will be provided free to the council. Its waste management department will pay for any chemicals or paints necessary to remove the graffiti.

The operatives will be offenders who have received a community service sentence. Under the pilot project graffiti which requires removal will be identified in five parts of the city. All of the sites will be at ground-floor level, preferably on a laneway, underpass, Luas line or railway line.

(c) Irish Times

I'm not sure how this differs from existing community service sentences (I'm not familiar with them) but it seems like an eminently sensible idea. I wonder what the minimum age limit for community service is? Making teenagers clean up graffiti might discourage some of them from doing it in the first place.

Advertisement