Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slightly different looking for a camera - For a DSLR user looking for a compact

• 18-01-2010 12:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭

Posting this as its a slightly different angle on the whole recommend me a camera thread. I am in the market for a camera that I can carry at all times because the old 40D is not the smallest of units and I am fed up missing capture opportunities from day to day.

The main thing I would like is High ISO and the ability to use the camera in Manual, Aperture Priority or Shutter Priority. This of course I need to come in at a budget of around €200.

I have looked at a few but am very interested in hearing what models some of you guys are looking at and any things I should watch out for, pitfalls etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

A good choice would be either the Canon powershot G11 or the S9.

These are fantastic cameras with super sharp results.

Not cheap though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

Fuji F30 or F31fd second hand

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭pft

I've just bought a Panasonic LX3 on ebay for much the same reasons. It has all the things you are looking for except the quality is not so good at high ISO. Still got a lot to learn about is but loving it so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I did this same thing at the end of 2008. Bought the Canon G9 & carry it everywhere. You could look for a used G9 or add some extra €'s and get the G11 which looks like a great little unit. Anything with a small sensor is not going to be great with high ISO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

+1 on the Canon G9

Got one second-hand before Christmas to save carryining the SLR around. Works like a charm.

• Advertisement

Has everyone forgotten the budget of €200 the G9/10/11 and the LX3 are all upwards of €350

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

duffarama wrote: »
    Has everyone forgotten the budget of €200 the G9/10/11 and the LX3 are all upwards of €350

Well the more I think about it the more I am coming to the conclusion that I need to up the budget. I also want to shoot in RAW so that is leaving me around the S90, G11 or LX3 models. I guess its going to be a week or two with no food then :)

I do realise that the low light shots are not going to be to the level of my 40D but I have discounted others that do shoot in RAW because the CCD is too small. A 1/1.63 or a 1/1.7 would do nicely I reckon.

Anyone else got any thoughts or different recommendations?

(oh I want to buy new and not 2nd hand)

Some of the Lumix TZ cameras are pretty good, no RAW but cheaper than an LX3

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Leica M9, great, little camera:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

duffarama wrote: »
    Fuji F30 or F31fd second hand

I have one of these and its great. Doesn't have all the features hes looking for though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I had the same problem, I decided I wouldnt be happy with the image quality from a small sensor, especially at high iso's so I now carry film compacts

my aperture priority compact is an olympus xa 35mm f2.8

for evening/night I use an olympus mju1 with neopan1600 rated at 3200. I much prefer the results from this than from my dslr @iso 3200 when converted to b&w

both of these cameras weigh around 200g and fit in trouser pockets. my lightest compact is a nikon AF600, weighs around 165g with a 28mm lens.
    I'd use it more often only the viewfinder is tiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I got the Canon S90 for 'everyday carrying around'. Got it from the USA for about €270.
    The Panasonics are TZ range are very good, great zoom. Mightn't have RAW though...
    10 or 12x optical zoom.

review here:
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-cameras/review/2007/03/20/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-TZ2/p1

Gets best all round compact here:
    http://www.cameralabs.com/buyers_guide/compacts/best_compact_digital_camera.shtml

Great prices to be found on Ebay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Cosmo K wrote: »
    Leica M9, great, little camera:P

Also great on the wallet :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Didnt nikon bring out a g9 killer ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

My brother is buying a compact in the states next week
    Based on the info in this thread, his best bet is to look out for a panasonic lumix and second choice canon G11 ?

ye would agree ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well I have made my decision and the Lumix LX3 is definitely the one I will go for. Unfortunately it won't be for a few months as I cannot stretch to that price for now.

Thanks everyone for your input you helped clarify my thoughts on this greatly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

whats the lumix like for indoor shots ?
    do you know?

Have a look at the Canon S90 as well, that's what I have.
    There's multiple sites doing comparisions between the Canon and Panasonic, like this andthis

here's a size comparision. Don't know if the Panasonic fits in jeans pocket (people say at a very, very tight squeeze) but the Canon does no problem.

Basically the LX 3 has wider lens, HD video recording, macro 2cm, while the Canon is more pocketable, bigger zoom,faster performance

Panasonic LX3
    24 mm wide angle lens
    Hot shoe for flash for external viewfinder or other accessories
    HD video recording vs standard video recording
    Max 2 cm focusing for macro photography compare to 5 cm
    Better build quality and casing

Canon S90 IS
    Pocket-able size
    Versatile zoom lens 28-105mm f/2-4.9
    Cleaner image in high ISO setting
    Two round dials, one is customizable
    Fast performance, solid interface design
    $70 Cheaper (based on MSRP)

(from some site:)
    In conclusion, the choice is a hard one. The Panasonic LX3 is a near classic camera with great reviews, and an amazing lens, if you’re looking for a walk around/landscape camera. Unfortunately, it is still difficult to find, and also more expensive than the S90 (possibly much more). Playing catch up is the S90, but it seems to offer most of the benefits of the LX3, with a potentially more useful lens and for a lower price. Possibly more important, it’s likely to be available, and that’s a good thing, because with its spec sheet and the “S” line history, I get the feeling it will do well. My take is the LX3 has the edge here, but the S90 might be the smarter (and easier) purchase. Still, I can’t help feeling that lately Canon appears to be following Panasonic’s lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭ladgie353

If you can live without a zoom, the sigma DP1 or DP2 would be ideal for low-light.
    They have an SLR size sensor in a compact body.
    I think the DP1 is getting near(er) to the LX3 price point.

• Advertisement

ladgie353 wrote: »
    If you can live without a zoom, the sigma DP1 or DP2 would be ideal for low-light.
    They have an SLR size sensor in a compact body.
    I think the DP1 is getting near(er) to the LX3 price point.

They are 2 great cameras, unfortunately they are not so good in low light! Nor are they the quickest at auto-focussing.

Good for landscape, possibly studio, and some street shooting if you manually focus and scale for distance rather than subject.

As for the LX3, try www.photoagora.gr and click english in the top right, they had an LX3 there recently at €329 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

I just bought an Lx3, they are cheaper online than the s90, after reading a lot of comparisons it came down to the lx3 vs the s90, i had a look at the leica dlux4 and the s90 in a shop and preferred the leica (which is the same as the lx3) the s90 is a bit too small and hard to hold and i don't like the ring control on the back of it, it does seem very loose as mentioned in reviews.

rowanh wrote: »
    the s90 is a bit too small and hard to hold and i don't like the ring control on the back of it, it does seem very loose as mentioned in reviews.

This custom grip will solve the problem of the ring control and awkard holding

Advertisement