Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marksmen threaten Galway anti-war protest

Options
  • 18-01-2010 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hey,

Does anyone remember the local airsoft club threatening to shoot down the 99 red ballons being released by the Galway Alliance Against War in protest of the red arrows air show during the Volvo Ocean Race?

I remember reading about it in the Advertiser and I'm pretty sure this is the same article. Did this actually go ahead? I never heard any more about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Snipers threaten to take out GAAW balloons
    Galway Advertiser, May 28, 2009.

By Kernan Andrews

A group of individuals in Galway have threatened to use airsoft rifles to shoot any red balloons The Galway Alliance Against War releases at its protest against the Red Arrows display this weekend.

The GAAW will hold another of its 99 Red Balloon peace events in the Spanish Arch on Saturday at 12 noon as a protest against the presence of the Red Arrows at the Galway Ocean Race stopover.

However the group received a threatening email which claimed it would sabotage the protest. The email said: “You d**kheads...Those balloons won’t be going into the air on Saturday be assured. A team of six will be at vantage points near the Spanish Arch with airsoft rifles. Any balloon we see will be immediately popped before it reaches five feet into the air.”

In response, the GAAW’s Niall Farrell replied to the email. He said: “Wow, that should make headlines: ‘Marksmen To Protect RAF Killers From Deadly Red Balloons’. Well, I suppose Airsoft Rifles (whatever they are) sound a lot more dramatic than pins or knitting needles. I would suggest you procure automatic airsoft rifles, as we will have a lot of balloons.”

Mr Farrell also went on to say: “I have no doubt you and all your pals - including those who invited the RAF killers -were shocked and disgusted by the revelations of the Ryan report into the abuses in the industrial schools. You are nothing but a bunch of hypocrites as you refuse to face up to what these RAF killers have done to little children and their families in foreign lands.”

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/12818

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 colinireland

did it actually happen though?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

did it actually happen though?
    Not that I'm aware of. Airsoft and the GAAW seem to attract Walter Mitty types in equal numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Airsoft guns wouldn't take 'out' baloons... they're plastic pellets ffs. It would have been hilarious... all these people in combat gear etc. eith their airsoft guns arriving up, shooting at the baloons and watching helplessly as the pellets just bounce off the baloons

Seriously lads, if ye like guns, get a license and get a real one ffs - much more fun

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Seriously lads, if ye like guns, get a license and get a real one ffs - much more fun

If ye like guns, collect pictures of them. Leave the real guns to farmers, detectives and crazy americans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

We don't take kindly to balloon protests around here!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

kodute wrote: »
    If ye like guns, collect pictures of them. Leave the real guns to farmers, detectives and crazy americans.

That's like saying "If you like women, collect pictures of them", or the same could be said for anything.

Gun's are fun and we pass hours every week clay pigeon shooting - Once they're not let into the wrong hands, and locked away securly they're no more dangerous than any other piece of machinery (A car can as easily wipe out 10 people as a gun, if in the wrong hands)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

(A car can as easily wipe out 10 people as a gun, if in the wrong hands)

True....it's a bit difficult to sneak a car into places like super markets, shopping centres and the like though. I'd probably be less likely to be worried if someone was trying to rob me with a car than if they were holding a gun, or like any other real weapon.

EDIT: Yes, anything in the wrong hands can be dangerous and deadly, the difference that sets weapons apart from cars and other potential dangerous objects is that weapons are designed for one thing only, to kill - that's what they are the best at. A car on the other hand, when being designed, is not created with the aim of maximising damage or effectiveness of it's kill ability, a car is designed to be the best mode of transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Mactard wrote: »
    True....it's a bit difficult to sneak a car into places like super markets, shopping centres and the like though. I'd probably be less likely to be worried if someone was trying to rob me with a car than if they were holding a gun, or like any other real weapon.

Blues Brothers made it look pretty easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

That's like saying "If you like women, collect pictures of them", or the same could be said for anything.

Gun's are fun and we pass hours every week clay pigeon shooting - Once they're not let into the wrong hands, and locked away securly they're no more dangerous than any other piece of machinery (A car can as easily wipe out 10 people as a gun, if in the wrong hands)

Nothing wrong with clay pigeon shooting or sport (olympic) shooting. We all need something to pass the time!
    But whats the point of getting a gun if you do none of the above?

In a way i'm glad the airsoft thing exists. Its like an outlet for people who might otherwise be interested in buying guns for other activities. Clay shooting for example. As much as I respect and applaud responsible gun owners, I still think we would be better off with as few guns as possible in the country. IMVHO

P.S. Is there something wrong with collecting pictures of women?! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'd say the army down the road wouldn't have been to impressed if a group of people showed up in military gear and carrying realistic looking guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭forumfiend

Robbo wrote: »
    Airsoft and the GAAW seem to attract Walter Mitty types in equal numbers.

As does boards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

sings 99 red balloons......
    err 98 red balloons......err make that 97......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

(A car can as easily wipe out 10 people as a gun, if in the wrong hands)

Taking out those ballons with a car would have taken incredible skill, especially if they'd already been released!

Could GAAW be done for littering by releasing the balloons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

First off there's nothing wrong with airsoft. I have a couple myself and have fun with a bit of target practice in the back garden. The pellets would pop balloons easily. They can penetrate empty beer cans. But for the information of Niall Farrell and others anyone appearing at the protest carrying an airsoft gun would be immediately arrested as it's completely illegal to brandish even a replica in public. So quite bluntly it was always an idle threat. Even Farrell must have known that.

But he's a great man for the press release, and takes every chance to get himself in the papers. His description of the Red Arrows as 'RAF killers' is ludicrous and hilarious. His linking of the Ryan report on child abuse to the Red Arrows was absurd. He's a legend in his own mind.

The protest went ahead unmolested by the mystery sniper team and mostly unattended by the public who were up in Salthill enjoying the Red Killers doing their thing. I think they held on tight to their balloons in case the airsoft balloon assassins turned up.

Advertisement