Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Douglas Shopping Centre

Options
  • 18-01-2010 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Anyone had a slip or fall on the escalators / moving walkway that connects the car parking to the shops? Noticed it gets kinda slick
    when cars bring rainwater inside and people walk through the water
    on the way to the shops.

Just curious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Max001 wrote: »
    Anyone had a slip or fall on the escalators / moving walkway that connects the car parking to the shops? Noticed it gets kinda slick
    when cars bring rainwater inside and people walk through the water
    on the way to the shops.

Just curious.

I think i've been in that shopping centre like once since it opened. I try and stay away from Douglas if at all possible. Can't stand the place. But i can see how those escalators could get slippy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

When you say New Douglas Shopping Centre, do you mean the old one but with the new Tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

^NoDice you pedantic langer ya

I haven't slipped on it yet and I'm in there every week or so.

A friend of mine was running with a trolly onto the escalator and the auto brake things on the trolly kicked in. He mashed his sack into the yoke you put your euro into and had to sit on the ground he was in so much pain.
    I nearly fell over myself laughing at what had happened :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Sorry but thats is F**king funny! LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

Ha ha ha, must be fairly common I'd say.

• Advertisement

Ha ha ha wow I've never been called a pedantic langer!! :cool:

I really wanted to know! I haven't been in D-las in ages so was genuinely asking! The new tesco, only been there once when it opened cause they had all their drink for dirt cheap! Came out with a trolley of cans and spirits! Delighted!

Felt like cattle though. You're shoved in one end and shuffled out the other. So weird!

Hilarious story btw! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

NoDice wrote: »
    Felt like cattle though. You're shoved in one end and shuffled out the other. So weird!

What do you mean?
    Its the same layout as any other tesco!

And tbh if your only experience is from the first week it opened then go back again. First week was mayhem!

Hogzy wrote: »
    What do you mean?
    Its the same layout as any other tesco!

And tbh if your only experience is from the first week it opened then go back again. First week was mayhem!

Actually you make a really good point here man. You're absolutely right. It felt like that because the place was so packed you really had to follow a line and not stop and not go left or right cause everyone kept moving in one direction! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

What annoys me is when you go up to the clothes section in tescos, and the automated voice says... 'please prepare to push your trolley off the escalator' My fella finds it fierce funny to push me off!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

actually its " please prepare to push your trolley off the end of the conveyor belt " !!!!!!!!!! but yeah soooo annoying. imagine working there, you d be driven demented.
    noticed lifestyle sports is closed down. apparently it went over night not even the staff knew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

Are Marks and spencer going to Douglas?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Bill-e wrote: »
    A friend of mine was running with a trolley onto the escalator and the auto brake things on the trolley kicked in.

What I want to know is why do all the people without trolleys step onto the travelator and stop walking?!! It's ridiculous. They do the same in Mahon Point too and it drives me nuts. Does the mechanical device remove the power of their legs from them or something? And if they're tired of walking, can they not stand to one side so the rest of us can get on with going to where we want to be?*

* Sorry for the rant - I had to go into Mahon Point this afternoon 'cause I forget to post a letter elsewhere and was reminded once again how utterly infuriating this is!

What I want to know is why do all the people without trolleys step onto the travelator and stop walking?!! It's ridiculous. They do the same in Mahon Point too and it drives me nuts. Does the mechanical device remove the power of their legs from them or something?

I do that :) When I go to Mahon Point (rare enough as I'm in Galway Monday to Friday) I would be there in a big relaxed chilled out mood :D Apologies :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

Everyone knows you stand on the right, if you wanna pass me go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

DamienH wrote: »
    Everyone knows you stand on the right, if you wanna pass me go for it!

Nah, they dont unfortunately. I have notice this a lot in MP also.

The only people who know to stand on the right are those who have been on the London Underground where you get mowed down if you don't stand on the right :D

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Ludo wrote: »
    Nah, they dont unfortunately. I have notice this a lot in MP also.

The only people who know to stand on the right are those who have been on the London Underground where you get mowed down if you don't stand on the right :D

Same applies in Germany:

Links gehen, rechts stehen. (move on the left, stand on the right).

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

I shout "ON YOUR LEFT!!!" as I march past them all. :)

Just heard that Welch Sports are opening in May , in the old Lifestyle unit. woooo hoooo. The centre needs a few more tenants, I like the feel of the centre though, some nice new shops in it now. Any up date on the Marks and Spencers rumour anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Was chattin with a friend who leases one of the units and she's been told nuthin regarding M&S for some time and has no idea when or if they're moving in.

marks are def coming :D:D:D yippeeee. opening pre christmas !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I feel sorry for the traders in there though. They've had to endure building works, and now with the lack of tenants no one bothers going through the centre to browse. They come down the escalator, into Tesco, maybe in to the Coffee Shop next to Tesco, and then back up the escalator. The design is terrible and must be costing the various businesses there a fortune. The planners should have just put the escalators coming down into the middle of the centre to encourage footfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

marks are def coming :D:D:D yippeeee. opening pre christmas !

to douglas village:confused:
    where did you hear that?,

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

I really hope that is true!

M&S dreary, rotten clothes (for men anyway, much like Debenhams) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

M&S has been rumoured for ages. Hopefully they'll be there soon, least it would brighten the place up a little and make people walk from one end to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

they should be in douglas, or at least somewhere outside the city,
    although i cant find any mention of them opening in douglas,

edit: i think paintdoc has a good point there, i usually go down the escalator turn right into tesco, get what i need and go back out, i wouldnt even know what shops are in the centre, at least in douglas court you have to walk through the centre to get into dunnes,

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

bladebrew wrote: »
    edit: i think paintdoc has a good point there, i usually go down the escalator turn right into tesco, get what i need and go back out, i wouldnt even know what shops are in the centre

Maybe that's what tesco wanted, no doubt they had an influence on the design, they can't have you buying your veg in the fresh fruit & veg shop or your meat in the butchers and so on can they :p Or even worse wandering to the other end of the centre into the village and maybe even over to douglas court for a look...

bladebrew wrote: »
    to douglas village:confused:
    where did you hear that?,

if i told you i would have to kill you :):) but i heard it from a very reliable source.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

if i told you i would have to kill you :):) but i heard it from a very reliable source.

I'd trust this lady's info ;) - thanks for the Westlife tickets btw

I'll mean a lot of lonely husbands in the Douglas area on Saturdays .......:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

small world !! hope your little girl enjoyed the concert.. we loved it .

Advertisement