Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Douglas Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

small world !! hope your little girl enjoyed the concert.. we loved it .

I'm hero Dad of the year !! - even got a mention from the school principal lol - thanks again ( yeh yeh it's off topic but this lady saved my life)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Announced this morning on RedFM that 150 jobs are to be created between M&S opening in Douglas Shopping Center and some other Window company in Cork.

So its defo a go-go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

if i told you i would have to kill you :):) but i heard it from a very reliable source.

fair play to yah:), you had the info days before the news did,

m&s for douglas village, i was there tonight and they were doing work on a unit,could they be starting work already:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

Thank you Curly from Cork. It's brilliant news. I love the place. Will they have a food store - that's a MUST for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭dextero

Anyone know how to apply for a job there? I have tried their site but there is no mention on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

I think for jobs in Ireland they only advertise in Store and through agency's i think their website is uk based only.

Still that's great news for douglas esp as i live across the road!! :D

i was hoping they would get more shopper friendly chain stores in there, those boutiques are Rubbish!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Great to see M&S in Douglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Btw, Is there an approximate date for Marks coming to Douglas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

they are hoping to be open in Nov. It will be mainly food but will have some clothes.
    Jobwise maybe c.v s into patrick st might work ? no idea but just a thought.

The new shopping centre on the corner by tesco's/dino's/Four star pizza just flooded, water was seeping through the emergency exit doors by the baby aisle, they closed it off from the fish counter to the back of the new stairs! :eek:

they clearly didn't check flood management when developing the new site and building over the stream!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It was all flooded on Saturday night too at about 9, just outside Tesco/KCs/Topaz.

All this is related to a burst water main. Has nothing to do with the river overflowing. All grange area had water cut today.

2 watermains burst in the last 3 days.

Hogzy wrote: »
    All this is related to a burst water main. Has nothing to do with the river overflowing. All grange area had water cut today.

2 watermains burst in the last 3 days.

nope that was totally different, mains burst in grange yesterday so they had no water all day,

Douglas was fine until the rain started,it was so heavy it knocked out tv, blocked flood drains and flooded the road outside (we live in the village by johnno's itself) the river was gushing not flooding, i was just pointing out since they built it on a stream the would have some kind of flood management there. (or drainage to get water in the shop out) but htey had nothing! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I have never seen rain in Ireland before like there was last night from 8 til around 8.20. It was crazy in the douglas/rochestown area. I can see why it would have caused flooding as there was so much of it in such a short period of time. VERY unusual event.

100 jobs created by the new Marks and Spencers and they'll be open in November!

curiously right next door to tesco's! :confused:

Any idea how to apply for the jobs?

id say apply in the one in town! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

curiously right next door to tesco's! :confused:
    Seriously? I thought they were going to be down the other end by the lifts? It'd be pretty crap for them to be up by tescos as no one will ever go down to the front-village side of it now.

JohnK wrote: »
    Seriously? I thought they were going to be down the other end by the lifts? It'd be pretty crap for them to be up by tescos as no one will ever go down to the front-village side of it now.

http://www.douglasvillage.ie/brochures.aspx

well the unit 62 page 6 on the brochure has been painted green, has green shelves and is the only unit currently being worked on!

odd thing is its a tiny unit compared to some of the others! i heard there will be no clothes section but its tiny enough all the same! :confused:

I've seen them do a bit of work on MSU 1 in the last few weeks so I was thinking that's where M&S would go. Size wise, I'd have thought that to be a much better fit as 62 looks to be small for a clothing & food shop and allows them very little room to grow.

• Advertisement

I've seen them do a bit of work on MSU 1 in the last few weeks so I was thinking that's where M&S would go. Size wise, I'd have thought that to be a much better fit as 62 looks to be small for a clothing & food shop and allows them very little room to grow.

there won't be a clothing section according to the rumor mill around Douglas the same mill said it was coming long before it was announced!

i haven't seen them do any work on the other units, im hoping you are right though because we need more shops there and if the one i see them working on is another shop then brilliant!:D

96FM are reporting that "The store will sell food , womenswear , lingerie and accessories and will also feature an 80 seat cafe"

I'm thinking the unit next to tesco might be a wee bit cramped for all that :D

http://www.96fm.ie/news/news-item.aspx?arti_guid=10fe7516-ee3d-499c-b9ff-d2691dd53685

96FM are reporting that "The store will sell food , womenswear , lingerie and accessories and will also feature an 80 seat cafe"

I'm thinking the unit next to tesco might be a wee bit cramped for all that :D

http://www.96fm.ie/news/news-item.aspx?arti_guid=10fe7516-ee3d-499c-b9ff-d2691dd53685

it would be totally cramped for all that! :eek:

it must be else where, although if they are opening in November they would want to get a move on, the unit i saw people working on has been worked on since august, they are such massive empty shells when handed over everything would have to be put in from floors to electrics/walls/divides/shelves...etc

"The store will sell food , womenswear , lingerie and accessories and will also feature an 80 seat cafe"
    They announced the same thing on facebook.

+1
    Iv passed MSU1 every night for the passed few days and the lights are constantly on in there with workers doing various things. Lots of work left though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Reconnect

I think the new center is Massive! way better than it used to be, the new Tesco's is nicer, the new sports shop is nicer, if Roxy opened more often, i can't wait for marks & sparks to open their pink champagne is lovely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

Check out the updated floorplan

http://www.douglasvillage.ie/floorplans2.aspx

Maxi Zoo are going up next to Tesco, M&S are down the far end.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

You'd have to wonder about Management in the centre. How are they putting a large petstore like Maxizoo in there when there's already a small pet store in there? Doesn't seem fair to that tenant who's been there for as long as I can remember.

My guess is Maxi Zoo will bring in a hell of a lot more rent than the existing small shop so if that closes then the owners will lose a bit of money but they'll still be up overall. As you said its not exactly fair but from what I've heard in the past the owners of the centre arent exactly concerned with fair.

• Advertisement

Yeah the one i saw them doing up is a maxi zoo, a tad disappointed..

also the big empty unit across from tesco's had a guy in there measuring up, so marks must be bringing in a lot of other companies too!

Obriens is re-opening under new management so alot more is happening there lately it could get better in there! :)

Advertisement