Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Douglas Shopping Centre

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

TBH usually shops have a condition in their contract to say that they will be the only shop of that type in the center. If the clause isnt there then thats their own fault for not negotiating one into their contract with management.

We all know who runs the center and what they are capable of doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

This maxi zoo is apparently going to be their smallest store, not even sure if it will have animals, possibly just supplys, I know someone who had an interview with them and was asked how they would feel if there were no animals in the store.

I also know the management are not exactly helpful to the smaller shop.

Hogzy wrote: »
    TBH usually shops have a condition in their contract to say that they will be the only shop of that type in the center. If the clause isnt there then thats their own fault for not negotiating one into their contract with management.

We all know who runs the center and what they are capable of doing.

Years ago I worked in a shop in one of their other centres, shop was doing very badly after an initially susscessful year or two, footfall in the centre was very low as well. It went on for months, owner contacted them saying that he wished to close the unit (I worked weekends there and often the takings wouldn't cover my wage, was worse during the week), they said he had a 30 year lease and he had to keep paying the rent. Turned out he actually had no lease, so we shut the shop one day and f'd off :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

babo9 wrote: »
    This maxi zoo is apparently going to be their smallest store,

i figured it was a small unit...:D

well its all go in Douglas at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Marks & Spencer opening in this shopping centre on 25th November. Mentioned on Ireland AM (I'm laid up after back operation) just there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

M&S are actually doing interviews at the moment for senior management, so it looks like everything's falling into place for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

just back from the opened today o'briens/bagel factory...

all bagels any filling €1 for the day!

have to say i couldn't fault the company, the food was nice, the tables and chairs were nice, the staff were VERY helpful in catering for me and my daughter 10/10! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭rob316

JohnK wrote: »
    My guess is Maxi Zoo will bring in a hell of a lot more rent than the existing small shop so if that closes then the owners will lose a bit of money but they'll still be up overall. As you said its not exactly fair but from what I've heard in the past the owners of the centre arent exactly concerned with fair.

You would think that about the rent but it wont happen. Maxi zoo have committed to open a load of stores over the next few years and part of there expansion plan is taking advantage of the huge amount of empty retail units about which I have on good authority they are paying ridicously low rates of rent on some rent free for up to 2 years. They will still be slapped with high maintenance and rates charges though in a shopping centre like douglas.

Places like maxi zoo and marks will bring in huge traffic to the shopping centre and in turn fill much more idle units. They couldnt care if a small pet shop closes down.

Advertisement