Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nixer - How much?

• 18-01-2010 12:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭

Im thinking of asking someone if they want a nixer of painting my hall, stairs and landing in my house but im unsure of what to charge.

Its a 3 bed terraced house, not huge, just average size. Was going to paint it myself but might be worth asking someone who knows what they are doing to do it as a nixer. Only thing is i cant afford to pay too much but wouldnt have a clue where to start on offering/charging a price.

I know its hard to know what to charge if people dont know what the house looks like but would anyone have any idea what would be the least i could offer?:confused:
    Just wouldnt want to offend someone by not offering enough and then them feel under pressure to having to do it.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

are u looking for the walls ceilings and woodwork done 2 coats every where or just looking to change the colour of the walls?

and is the person u are gona ask a painter or just some1 who can paint and has a bit of spare time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Thanks for the reply Robbie. Its only the walls, no wood work or ceilings and all the same colour, not sure if it will need 2 coats, prob just one as its painted already.

Was going to ask a lad i know whos profession is a painter but as a nixer in his spare time. Just dont want him to feel under pressure to say yes and if he does say yes im wondering how much would be an ok amount to give him. I havent loads of money to hand over, thats the thing, so dont want to insult him by offering too little.

The fact that u are only doing the walls and the same colour as before I'd say 1 coat would do it once you know the exact colour.

I'd say €100 for the labour would be a fair price for both parties.
    But to be honest if you offered slightly less you would'nt be insulting him
    especially as you say you are tight on cash.

Pressuming the preparation is minimal it would only take a proffesional around 4 hours to do the job from putting down the dust sheets to packing stuff in van.
    Just remember if you atempt it unless u have a ladder to get up to the high bit above the stairs it can be tricky and dangerous.

You have to add in the cost of a tin of paint tho aswell.the fact you are going 1 coat it would be better to buy a ready made 5 litre tin of the colour in dulux or crown which ever it is in woodies or homebase.
    I find the ready made ones have better coverage.
    they are around €40 might be slightly less with sales on at the moment.

Thanks so much for your reply. I was thinking of around 100-150 but wasnt sure if that was too low or not, just didnt have a clue what would be a fair price to offer without insulting the guy.

I would be covering cost of the paint so he wouldnt need to get that, it really is only the actual painting that id need doing.

I dont have a special ladder to reach that area over the stairs on the landing which could be tricky, thats why i was thinking of getting someone to do it.

Thanks so much for your replies, it really helped me:)

Now i just need to decide on the colour and see does he want the nixer.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

I'm not into doing painting, but I do remember when I painted the same areas.

For eighty snots, they guy isn't going to be masking stuff up, he is just going to find the biggest roller he can buy, and have at it.

Rough work at best.

• Advertisement

Sorry im a bit confused at your post?:confused:

What do you mean "80 snots" and "have at it"??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭thebiglad

andreac wrote: »
    Sorry im a bit confused at your post?:confused:

What do you mean "80 snots" and "have at it"??

He means pay peanuts get monkeys:p

You are gonna get exactly what you pay for.

Oh right:P, but no one mentioned paying him cheap, thats why i asked what would be a reasonable amount to offer without insulting someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Surely the tradesperson in question will be telling you how much he wants, not the other way around.

T-Square wrote: »
    I'm not into doing painting, but I do remember when I painted the same areas.

For eighty snots, they guy isn't going to be masking stuff up, he is just going to find the biggest roller he can buy, and have at it.

Rough work at best.

^^^^^
    :confused::confused::confused:

She is going to be asking a friend who is a proffesional.
    Big roller,80 snots ? have you been on the vino

The lad will be more than happy with what you are thnking of giving OP.

To be honest if you opened the golden pages and pick anyone at random in it and offer €150 to paint 1 coat of the same colour on your walls you wont have to ring many numbers.
    These are quietest weeks of the year for nearly all painters.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Had a lad paint an entire converted attic.Was one days work €150
    Very good job . Sure I would have spent €50 between brushes trays & rollers.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

robbie1977 wrote: »
    ^^^^^
    :confused::confused::confused:

She is going to be asking a friend who is a proffesional.

You are wrong, she never said he was a professional.

andreac wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Robbie. Its only the walls, no wood work or ceilings and all the same colour, not sure if it will need 2 coats, prob just one as its painted already.

Was going to ask a lad i know whos profession is a painter but as a nixer in his spare time. Just dont want him to feel under pressure to say yes and if he does say yes im wondering how much would be an ok amount to give him. I havent loads of money to hand over, thats the thing, so dont want to insult him by offering too little.

Advertisement