Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hello everyone, just picked up a puppy

Options
  • 18-01-2010 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

hey names gary, my housemate picked up a pup pomeranian thre a couple days ago. shes12 weeks old and shes gorgeous:)

anyways i just have a few questions for ye about training her if thats ok?

basically what i want to know is any tips on teaching her to stay in her bed at night. most of the time shes in the sitting room, but at night when we put her into the kitchen, she starts yelping and barking like mad. you know yourself. so its uncomfortable to sleep and makes us feel uneasy. but if we leave her in the sitting room on her own she seems perfectly fine. only thing is that we cant leave her in there at night because she is starting to chew the legs off of the couch.:(

have ye any tips as to how we can train her to stay on her own in the kitchen over night without going mad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

A good option would be a crate, it keep her safe (what if she chewed on a cable during the night?) and give her a safe secure place to sleep in day and night.
    I have the crates in the hall, at first it was near the bedroom door, so the pup would know were I was and moved it out of they way after couple of weeks. My dogs sleep in them at night and the doors are open during the day so they can use them if they want (or the cats use them in the mornings when the dogs get up having warmed them up for them)
    There are quite a few threads on crate training, just use the search option.
    It also helps with toilet training.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

I was about to post the exact same question today, we got a Dashund on Thursday and the thing is so playful and so good. It stays in the sitting room with us when we are around and at night we put it in the room next to us, we have set the room out with lyno on the floor, a bed, a blanket, paper for her, toys and water. But when we leave her there she yelps like mad, first few nigths were not too bad but last night she yelped for hours, brought her out to the toilet twice but didnt seem to need to go. We've been bringing her out to the green next to us 4 times a day to hopefully ware her out so she will sleep better. ANy advise? We didn't really want her into the bedroom with us.

Have i already got her in a bad habit with the living room?

I see alot of people talking about crates, is this just a cage, and if yes how big would you get for a small dog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 dublindogcare

HI Guys ,
    yes a crate is just a cage. It must be big enough so your full grown dog can stand sit and lie comfortably both of you would be getting the same small size one.

Poms tend to be quite yappy in general, its the comfort of the living room shes obviously liking. Start feeding her in the crate , put nice comfy bed in there , give her treats in there etc , hot water bottle and she will soon love it there as she know good things happen there.

Beacuse the pups are so young you will need to just be strong and not give in to the noise....they will learn to associaite barking and yapping to getting you into them.

What I highly reccomend is KONGS they can be stuffed with some treats , kibble . the dog works away on it for ages as they are concentrating on getting the food out - hence not barking or chewing legs of couches !!! You can pick them up in any pet store

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Any photos yet??? My Granny used to have Poms and they were adorable ....

Advertisement