Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying records in Ireland

Options
  • 18-01-2010 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

with Plugd in Cork now closed where is left to buy records in Ireland? The last time I was in dublin record shopping (a while back) I was in Spindizzy, In Dub, Borderline and Freebird. are these places still open or are there others im not aware of? what about around the country? Waterford,Tralee,Galway,Donegal, etc? Thanks for any info, I dont like to shop for records online but dont mind traveling to shops around the country

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

There's a record shop in Mary Mall in Dublin called Fuzzy Logic Records. They're moving to Templebar soon though.

The guy who owns the shop is also involved in Record Fairs Ireland, who arrange a record fair in different towns in Ireland most weekends. They're not like the old fairs that used to travel the country and charge admission, these fairs are free in and consist of a number of record sellers so there's a good selection of records.

I don't have contact details but search for Fuzzy Logic Records or Record Fairs Ireland and you might find them. Not sure when next fair is but I know there's one in Athlone on the 6th of March in the Prince of Wales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

They sell records in Third Wave Music in Sligo... although that might be a bit far to go if you're from Cork!

The record fairs that Clum mentioned are good as well, I was at one of them last year and they had a lot of records/cds on show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 casimir23

Dublin:

George's Arcade has Spindizzy (shop) and Trout (stall.) The guys from Trout opened RAGE around the corner on Fade St. This set of shops has the best selection (and turnaround) of used vinyl.

Freebird and Tower, both on Wicklow St, are the best shops in Dublin for new records. They are the only shops that tend to stock any higher quality vinyl. In some of the other shops, the 'new vinyl' section contains more crappy bootlegs than legal product. Bugs me every time I see it. (The crappiness, not the illegality.)

In Temple Bar my regulars are Comet, Borderline and Mojo's.

Other shops that I rarely visit: City Discs in Temple Bar. A nearby shop that sells skateboards or something like that (my mind just screens it out) but has a few boxes of records. Oxfam on Georges St, and on Parliament St. Stalls on Temple Bar Square on some Saturdays.

This is all from a rock/jazz/soul perspective. Someone else might have advice on dance etc. I've also ignored CDs.

Not sure if I'm forgetting any.

The next big fair is March 19-20. A series of smaller free fairs in the evening (part of a larger regular event) seems to be starting up too:

http://www.irishrecordfairs.com/upcoming%20fairs.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Would the mods consider a thread for "music purchasing resources"?
    I see threads like this a lot.
    In Dub

Is that the place in Crow St, Temple Bar, is it any use?

I find it hard to get Dub stuff on vinyl or even "albums", I'd be looking for stuff like Augustus Pablo, Scientist, Lee Perry, Linval Thompson, nothing too off-kilter... usual suspects.

The only stuff I can find are CD compilations... although I got some Dub vinyl in the aforementioned record fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

What's the cost of a vinyl album in comparsion to cd? Is the sound that much better. Conan O'Brien always introduced the bands on his show with using their latest vinyl release

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Jus.Me

new albums are roughly the same price as a cd.

the sound thing is debatable but vinyl is a much nicer listening experience. i like being able to drop the needle anywhere i want in the track (forwarding through tacks on cds is a headwreck)

cds are more delicate than vinyl and theres nothing more annoying than a skipping cd. alot of times if theres a scratch on a cd the whole thing wont play.

I like the big artwork on vinyl, being abel to speed up or slow down tracks slightly, and the way records work still fascinates me.

at the end of the day if you want a cd to play in the car or whatever you can just rip it from the record.

go vinyl, you wont regret it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Jus.Me wrote: »
    at the end of the day if you want a cd to play in the car or whatever you can just rip it from the record.

Anyone have "1000 Hurts" by "Shellac" on Vinyl? it comes in a box and there's a CDR of the album without a cover, haphazardly thrown into the package without any regard for it's condition, handy to have, but it's also a cheeky statement by Albini and Co about their regard for the CD medium, made me chuckle.

Vinyl with free download token is a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

casimir23 wrote: »
    Dublin:

Other shops that I rarely visit: City Discs in Temple Bar. A nearby shop that sells skateboards or something like that (my mind just screens it out) but has a few boxes of records. Oxfam on Georges St, and on Parliament St. Stalls on Temple Bar Square on some Saturdays.

City Discs is meant to be closing down in the next couple of weeks according to Hotpress so there could be some bargains left in there maybe?

sad news. the cork shop kept me steadily broke for many years. best of luck in the future

btw this REALLY deserves its own thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

Well, Comet Records opened in 1984 in Chatham Street ,
    True but what about Base X ? I have a fair few records bearing the Base X stamp on the inner sleeve. Base X on the Quays and Freebird on Grafton St was the golden age of record buying in my books :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭francois

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    True but what about Base X ? I have a fair few records bearing the Base X stamp on the inner sleeve. Base X on the Quays and Freebird on Grafton St was the golden age of record buying in my books :-)

Used to frequent both a lot-At one stage I held the sign for Freebird on Grafton St.
    Basement was great, picked lots of stuff up there -Gerry though had all the records stinking of camel cigs!

francois wrote: »
    -Gerry though had all the records stinking of camel cigs!
    Part of the whole vibe! He was last seen working in Tower, without the Camels.
    The selection of records in Dublin went downhill with the demise of Base X and when Freebird moved it got even worse.

And I love the idea of a "free" digital download if you buy vinyl, that would get me back to buying it again.

Hope Borderline don't close , not the greatest selection but deffo worth having.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭francois

[QUOTE=PaulieBoy;73287778
    And I love the idea of a "free" digital download if you buy vinyl, that would get me back to buying it again.
    [/QUOTE]

Last six or so of Lp's I bought came with exactly that-a card with a redemption number and a link

francois wrote: »
    Last six or so of Lp's I bought came with exactly that-a card with a redemption number and a link
    And was that indicated on the outside ? I must keep a eye out for that in future. Cheers.

there's usually a little sticker on the LP that says download link included

Advertisement