Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom/Netopia problem

• 18-01-2010 1:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Have had Eircom BB for over 4 years with no problem. Recently moved, BB setup & working well again but phone only ringing once with an incoming call, then it might ring properly if the caller tried again. Then both phone & BB went down. Rang Eircom, they tested line & said there was no problem, that it looked to them like there was a phone off hook. They suggested I look at internal issues first. When I plug the phone directly into the socket it works fine, so the line is ok. When I informed them of this they said it must be that the filter is broken & are sending one out. I bought one in Harvey Norman at the weekend in the hope of getting up & running sooner but it made no difference.

The Netopia 2247 has a flashing green DSL light and the Internet light does not come on. I pressed the reset button when I put them on the new filter, made no difference.

Just wondering if this is a common issue that people have encountered. Could it be a problem with the router rather than the filter or line? I know from searching people don't rate the 2247 highly but Ive never had a problem with it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

Is your internet working?

Do you have a filter on the line into the router?

Can you connect to the router from your pc and run diagnostics on the router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

homer911 wrote: »
    Is your internet working?

Do you have a filter on the line into the router?

Can you connect to the router from your pc and run diagnostics on the router?

Internet is not working

The router is connected to the telephone socket on the wall via a phone/broadband filter.

I'm not familiar with connecting the router to the pc and running diagnostics on it - could you give me a bit more info on this please? Do I just use Ethernet cable to connect the 2?

Thanks for your help

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Yes just connect by ethernet to computer then http://192.168.1.254 will take you to the netopia settings.

Have you tried the Netopia directly into the phone socket without a filter? You could also try changing the telephone cable between the netopia and the socket just in case anything was broken during your move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Thanks. I tried the settings URL but got an error page because I didnt have internet access - didnt realise it would work with a cable in.

I tried plugging it directly in & that didn't work either. Would that suggest it may not actually be a problem with the filter as Eircom have suggested?

I'll try changing the cable as you have suggested...Ive noticed a few things don't work as they should since we moved....2 DVD players including my LG DVD recorder have serious disc tray problems now! :mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

That link is simply to take you to the netopia settings - it is not an internet link.

All routers are accessed by using a link like that - its often http://192.168.0.1 or similar but the netopia uses http://192.168.1.254. It should take you to the basic settings page which shows if you are connect to the net.

There are further settings options on the left hand side of the page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

to add to above.. once on that link see if your router is sync at correct speed, this is usually good indication if your phone line is "clean".

For example if your broadband package is 3Mb then it should show that your router is synchronized at 3074/384

Advertisement