Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax relief on childcare fees

Options
  • 18-01-2010 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭

Why don't we have this?

Some people are in the situation where it makes more financial sense to quit working because their wages minus childcare is more-or-less the same as what they'd receive in welfare benefit.

It would create jobs in the childcare industry and would create an incentive for others to work.

Would this be an easy step in the right direction for the govt. to make or is it a flawed idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Why don't we have this?

Some people are in the situation where it makes more financial sense to quit working because their wages minus childcare is pretty more or less the same as what they'd receive in welfare benefit.

It would create jobs in the childcare industry and would create an incentive for others to work.

Would this be an easy step in the right direction for the govt. to make or is it a flawed idea?
    Have often wondered this myself, my partner is thinking of reducing her hours due to this very problem but she prefers to work as she likes her job. She already works weekends when I take care of the kids but working during the week no longer makes sense due to the cost of childcare. Perhaps the early childcare supplement was supposed to cover it, I know this is now gone and CB also is a help so maybe the gov feel that is enough. Anybody know of stats that compare cost of childcare in IRL compared to elsewhere. It seems very expensive to me.
    Also the subvention program seems to be aimed at the wrong people. Unemployed and those on very low incomes can apply for subvention i think, why would you need childcare subvention if you dont work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

This is what we should have had all through the boom, when there were more jobs than people to fill them.

Now, it would go directly in the face of government policy - all current measures are aimed at dis-incentivising two-income families.

Why else all the tax punishments for working parents?

This would mean the jobs available are shared out more evenly, and there would be fewer people on the live register.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Why don't we have this?

This was called for during the boom but it was resisted by some on the basis that it discriminated against stay at home parents.

The government came up with a mix of the Early Childcare Supplement and increases in Child Benefit as a way to help towards childcare.

The early childcare suppliment is now being phased out in favour of a free pre-school year, a much better solution imo.

You have to hand it to the government; they have no shortage of ideas - they just have a bit of difficultly in picking one and sticking to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I don't see how it could be viewed as discrimination against stay at home parents!?

With a free preschool year would people not just take advantage of the free year and then stop working?

Advertisement