Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help Looking for a Spare from Boards.ie members

• 18-01-2010 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hey everyone,
    i'm currently struggling to get a second hand lambda sensor for my 03 mkiv 1.6 golf. ive been around to a few breakers and to no avail. Dont have the cash for a brand new one or to let a garage fit it. any help or direction will be hugely appreciated.

Collie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Is iot worth getting a second hand one? How much is a new one? €100.00 + labour? The second hand part may only last a few hours and you would still have to pay labour to have it fitted and re-fitted. How many wires are on the Golf sensor?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Why do you need a new one anyway? Did your car fail the NCT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 collieh86

pretty certain i seen four when i removed it. im so stoney broke im willing to try anything, its a risk i know. but one place i tried in south county dublin asked for 150 for a new one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bf

Try here - i have found them cheaper & parts are new

http://www.lambdasensor.com/main/vw2.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

collieh86 wrote: »
    pretty certain i seen four when i removed it. im so stoney broke im willing to try anything, its a risk i know. but one place i tried in south county dublin asked for 150 for a new one

Again, how do you know it's the lambda sensor that's the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 collieh86

VAGCOM and engine light telling me its bank one sensor one so its the one in the engine bay. car is due for nct in a couple of months i dont want it making the cat sick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Maybe Ottoparts are worth a go. Heard there cheaper than main
    dealer. Think theres one in Tallaght if its any good to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

collieh86 wrote: »
    VAGCOM and engine light telling me its bank one sensor one so its the one in the engine bay. car is due for nct in a couple of months i dont want it making the cat sick

If you are really keen to save money then I would suggest you look further into this. It is possible that you had a fault code which suggests the sensor is faulty but in most cases a fault code which mentions this sensor just says the sensor signal is wrong. This can be caused by a number of issues aside from the sensor.
    Post the code if you can.

Maybe you have had it positively diagnosed by someone who knows what they are at. If so ignore me :)

forgot to say, a lot of cheap sensors don’t work in those. Bosch from a motor factor is the best value quality one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

O2 Sensors are parts that wear and fail, Ive replaced about 5 in the last 5 years of car ownership. Each time, the sensor was faulty, wasnt some symptom of some other issue (which I accept can happen).

OP, whats the Part number (VAG and or Bosch) of the sensor you need?

• Advertisement

The vast majority of O2 sensors that are fitted are not required. The vast majority of O2 sensor codes are logged because of a fueling issue. I base this on years of experience fixing hundreds of these.

Considering the OP is very strapped for cash, would it not be better for him to try and establish if he needs the sensor or not?

The vast majority of O2 sensors that are fitted are not required. The vast majority of O2 sensor codes are logged because of a fueling issue. I base this on years of experience fixing hundreds of these.

Considering the OP is very strapped for cash, would it not be better for him to try and establish if he needs the sensor or not?

I tend to research my repairs and purchases quite well, as I said, Ive changed several of them on high mileage cars and they were most definitely at fault. I can only speak from my experience, not sure what you want here...

On the cost, I may have one to spare, but GSF will sell a non-Bosch one (which I too would generally avoid) for less than EUR50.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    I tend to research my repairs and purchases quite well, as I said, Ive changed several of them on high mileage cars and they were most definitely at fault. I can only speak from my experience, not sure what you want here...

On the cost, I may have one to spare, but GSF will sell a non-Bosch one (which I too would generally avoid) for less than EUR50.

I was just trying to help the OP and I still fail to see the point in him fitting an expensive part he cant afford until he knows he actually needs it.

I was just trying to help the OP and I still fail to see the point in him fitting an expensive part he cant afford until he knows he actually needs it.

Good for you. Im just trying to find out the PN of the part and assume since he has a VAGCOM he has done his homework.

Advertisement