Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to setup a UK bank account for Irish resident?

Options
  • 18-01-2010 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm just wondering is it easy to setup a UK bank account? I'm living in Ireland and the only address that I have in England is my gran's, who has been living there all her life.
    I'm visiting next week, so any feedback appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

dbentham wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm just wondering is it easy to setup a UK bank account? I'm living in Ireland and the only address that I have in England is my gran's, who has been living there all her life.
    I'm visiting next week, so any feedback appreciated.

the halifax bank

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I doubt it very much for a basic retail-bank deposit account - Anti-money laundering legislation prevents financial institutions from doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

You'll need proof of UK address to open a UK account.

So if you can get a bank statement posted to your grans you should be able to sort it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭brinepacer

I've just been through this with tonnes of UK banks, you need a current bill or bank statement in your name to a UK address. Best thing is call into your bank, change your address to the UK address (should be no problem). Then ask them to issue a statement to that UK address (check this the day after - i waited a week for one from BOI before ringing. They hadn't sent it out). Once you get the letter, it's job done. With MBNA you can change your address online easily, but they'll only issue a copy of your last CC statement which will have your old address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

You need paperwork. Dealing with English banks is like a Little Britain sketch sometimes; if the computer says no for whatever reason, logic is no use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dbentham

brinepacer wrote: »
    I've just been through this with tonnes of UK banks, you need a current bill or bank statement in your name to a UK address. Best thing is call into your bank, change your address to the UK address (should be no problem). Then ask them to issue a statement to that UK address (check this the day after - i waited a week for one from BOI before ringing. They hadn't sent it out). Once you get the letter, it's job done. With MBNA you can change your address online easily, but they'll only issue a copy of your last CC statement which will have your old address.

Many thanks for all the help on this one. I've requested MBNA to change my statement address. So hopefully next month I'll be able to 'get the ball rolling' when the statement arrives.
    Only thing is.. would they notice or even care if it's a EURO statement that I'm presenting to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I opened a bank account in the north with a driving licence and a passport. However expect to be asked lots of questions concerning your activities (as in what the a/c is for). In fairness they dont know what your motive is. I would just open an a/c in the north as its a lot easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

dbentham wrote: »
    Only thing is.. would they notice or even care if it's a EURO statement that I'm presenting to them?
    I don't think so. It's the address bit that they're interested in. And once you have one bank account open over there, wait for a statement and then you can open as many as you like. So don't worry if the bank that you want won't give you an account first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭muffinhead

If you don't mind having a very basic bank account (no chequebook, overdraft, etc) with only a Visa Electron card try this one:

http://www.halifax.co.uk/bankaccounts/easycash.asp

They only asked to see my passport, nothing else.

Advertisement