Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son doesnt want his cot

Options
  • 18-01-2010 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

We have an 11 month old who we initailly moved into his own room in a crib around 7 months. He was good and he only woke occasionally. Roll forward a few months and after he got various sickness and teeth we have now have the situation were we put his to sleep in his cot but when he cried at night we would bring him into our bed and he slept sound for the night.

The problem is now that when we put him down in the crib he will sleep for 1 to 4 hours and then wake and wants to sleep beside us. If its say 9 at night and we are not in bed the only option to get him to sleep is to bring him into our bed and get hms to sleep and pop him back into the crib.

Any ideas how we should correct this? We dont want to let him cry it out and it must be traumatic for the them.

Thanks

J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

My son is older but i had a similar problem, not entirely solved yet. What helps is holding his hand while he falls asleep and giving him an item of my clothing to go asleep with.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭supermum1

I know crying it out is a touchy subject but I think there's a lot to be said for it.

My son is 8 months and has slept through the night since he was 4 months in his own room.

We did let him cry it out but used small things to comfort him.

I made sure when I was putting him to bed that I had something to do upstairs (laundry etc.. there's always something!!) I used to sing as i worked so he knew I was there. We use a soother so I would go in every 2-3 mins and make sure he had it.

If he got too worked up I would pick him up until he was settled and put him straight back down.

I did this for a week and have not had to do it since even through teething and sickness.

I don't agree with letting a child cry for a prolonged period of time, what mother could listen to that!! I do although think they're too clever sometimes!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Cry it out advice here too. It's really hard, really, really hard but worth it. Think mine went for about 3 hours at the age of 4 months (ish). It did work though and quite a growing up experience for a parent, never mind the child. It did empower me in the whole kid/parent relationship as once you can do that to (and for) your child you can do anything. It taught me that I'm the grown up, they're the kid and grown ups are in charge.

It's a tough road but when through it the parents become masters of their domain and are on top of the parenting malarky from an early start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭lyndak082

you really need to let him cry it out and BE PERSISTANT!! keep putting him back in his own bed.... ive got 4 young kids and believe me u dont want to have to share your bed with one let alone all of them...........and if one is left in theyll all want in!! but seriously you will be suprised how quickly he will get the message if u keep putting him back in. youll be tired for a while but its worth it in the end :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

My son loves his own bed and I didnt let him cry it out. He just needed to know someone was there. Do what you think is best for your child's nature. I took the cry it out advice for a little while and I ended up with a neurotic child during the day. Every child is different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks guys I think we'll have a go at crying out or pick up put down

Advertisement