Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meanwhile over in "equestrian"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Holy ****! Horses can kick to the side? I always thought that was the only place where they couldn't get you with kicks or bites (from the respective ends, obviously)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

Yeah, unfortunately the common saying 'one end bites, the other end kicks' neglects to metion that a horse can also cow kick (kick to the side). Maybe it should be changed to 'one end bites, the other end kicks, and standing at their middle isn't be best idea either'?!

FYI, safest place to stand/be near a horse is at it's shoulder. Just incase you should ever find yourself standing beside a horse :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭buffalo

Aye, as the thread said, I was out yesterday. Never come across them up the mountains before, but there's obviously a school or something east of Blessington.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

convert wrote: »
    FYI, safest place to stand/be near a horse is at it's shoulder. Just incase you should ever find yourself standing beside a horse :)

Or not near them at all by the sounds of it. I'm also pretty sure I couldn't out-cycle them so the question is, could Mockler?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

briano wrote: »
    Or not near them at all by the sounds of it. I'm also pretty sure I couldn't out-cycle them so the question is, could Mockler?

Horse > Roadie
    Mockler > Roadie
    Mockler > Horse? Mockler = Horse?

Who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Met my first Horse(s) yesterday, came around a corner to find two of them standing there.. scared the **** outta me. Met 30 lads out running about 200m later up the road, thought I had come across a race... but after closer inspection of the runners build I think it was a GAA training session.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If anyone wants to race their horse against me, I'll gladly oblige.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

el tonto wrote: »
    If anyone wants to race their horse against me, I'll gladly oblige.

Tonto what distance would you want. I know a lovely 1 mile circuit of tarmac that runs inside a race course.:DMay even have a horse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Yeah, unfortunately the common saying 'one end bites, the other end kicks' neglects to metion that a horse can also cow kick (kick to the side). Maybe it should be changed to 'one end bites, the other end kicks, and standing at their middle isn't be best idea either'?!

Not if it rears up or decides to take a chunk out of you with it's teeth.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'm game

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »

Horse > Roadie
    Mockler > Roadie

Who knows.

So Mockler's a horse of a man but can he sh1te while trottin?:eek:

I'm game

If we could get a horse and permission to race around a track, I'll ride the horse.

By the way a real horse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Esroh wrote: »
    Tonto what distance would you want. I know a lovely 1 mile circuit of tarmac that runs inside a race course.:D May even have a horse
    Closed circuit? He will still get lost.

Vélo wrote: »
    If we could get a horse and permission to race around a track, I'll ride the horse.

By the way a real horse!

I'll ride it meself.:D

I'll ride it meself.:D

happy_20horse.jpg

Neigh, Neigh!!

I know of a racecourse with over a mile of a tarmac roadway on the inside and grass just beside it for the horse to gallop on.

Have you decided on a distance? I have a horse who'd be suited to a longer distance - 2 mile +, so if you wanted a shorter distance we'd have to rely on Esroh to provide the horse.

I also have my racing licence so would be happy to race the horse :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Christ this should be fun. I could lone you my bike tonto (and a gps!)
    Horse.jpg

I know of a racecourse with over a mile of a tarmac roadway on the inside and grass just beside it for the horse to gallop on.

Have you decided on a distance? I have a horse who'd be suited to a longer distance - 2 mile +, so if you wanted a shorter distance we'd have to rely on Esroh to provide the horse.

Not Ballinrobe is it.
    Me and the horse are semi retired and he'd want sloppy ground:D over 3 miles.
    Tonto what your 2 mile TT like

If Tonto crashes and breaks a leg, can I shoot him?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Horse > Roadie
    Mockler > Roadie

Who knows.

Did anyone else notice how the rider went straight into the horses slipstream?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Look at all the wonderful sports here on boards, we need to sign El Tonto up for the horse race, but then:

Can he outsprint an airsoft pellet (aimed at him)?
    Can he beat a wide receiver and make the winning TD?
    Is he faster than an arrow?
    How will his Oakleys last 5 rounds against the boxers?
    Can he make a 7-10 split while still clipped in?

It's probably a good thing I can't see an orienteering forum, I can see this one being his downfall.

Did anyone else notice how the rider went straight into the horses slipstream?
    Horse stayed with the peloton a bit longer in this one... towards the end one of the riders seems to be exploiting the situation by trying to break.

As far as I know the longer the race the greater the advantage to the cyclist, the shorter the race the greater the advantage to the horse... need to balance it somehow, I think it would have to be reasonably long but not like a 40km TT (horse would have no chance.)

blorg wrote: »
    I think it would have to be reasonably long but not like a 40km TT (horse would have no chance.)

He would with a pointy hat.

Not Ballinrobe is it.
    Me and the horse are semi retired and he'd want sloppy ground:D over 3 miles.
    Tonto what your 2 mile TT like

Punchestown. It'd be perfect. The Rally Masters was held there a few years ago.

Esroh, I think we could have a race between our two horses while also having a race with Tonto. What do you think?

Esroh, I think we could have a race between our two horses while also having a race with Tonto. What do you think?
    While ye are all racing around with your girly horses on girly horse shoes this will be Mockler007:

jump.jpg

All racecourses have tarmac on the inside, it's to allow the ambulance follow the race incase any jockeys fall off and get injured.

Never mind El Tonto, Mockler (or even Blorg) wouldn't stand a chance against a fully fit thoroughbred over 1-2 miles.

Never mind El Tonto, Mockler (or even Blorg) wouldn't stand a chance against a fully fit thoroughbred over 1-2 miles.

I ran some numbers. 750W on a TT bike for a couple of minutes ought to do it. I reckon it's doable, but not by me.

I ran some numbers. 750W on a TT bike for a couple of minutes ought to do it. I reckon it's doable, but not by me.

It all depends on the horse. It's not like cycling where it's all about the rider. In horse racing the jockey or trainer has alot to do with it but ultimately it's the horse, it's either good enough or it's not....but I'd still put my money on the horse.

This is why we need a middle distance. Short distance, horse wins. Long distance, Tonto wins. What is the point in the middle that it is a competition that has a chance of going either way?
    All racecourses have tarmac on the inside, it's to allow the ambulance follow the race incase any jockeys fall off and get injured.
    Cool, after we do it with Tonto on the bike then we can reverse it with Tonto on the horse :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

blorg wrote: »
    Cool, after we do it with Tonto on the bike then we can reverse it with Tonto on the horse :D

Jesus, give the horse a break after all that...stick him on El Tonto.

Approx time by the winner in any race in Thurles today was in and around 2min 4 sec for a mile.All these races were over Steeplechase fences And Thurles is not flat by any standard it has a nice hill.

Approx time by the winner in any race in Thurles today was in and around 2min 4 sec for a mile.All these races were over Steeplechase fences And Thurles is not flat by any standard it has a nice hill.

I guess the ground wouldn't exactly have been good either.

All these races were over Steeplechase fences

Now that I'd like to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

There's a point-to-point in Bray on the 27th:-

http://www.p2p.ie/content.php?key=Fixtures%20Autumn%2009

But it could be done as a "team chase" -

"The competition consists of teams of four riders from each hunt, riding relay fashion, against one another, using a hunting crop as the baton. The teams must be composed of one lady rider, one male member, one hunt staff and one heavy weight male member."

There'd be no problem getting the heavyweight male member!

For the cyclists:-
    Lady rider :- Caroline
    Male rider :- Blorg (on the fixie)
    Staff:- Lumen
    Heavyweight:- ???????

Now that I'd like to see.

Actually, I would have thought that you the ideal candidate for that challenge:

IMG_1057.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

It all depends on the horse. It's not like cycling where it's all about the rider. In horse racing the jockey or trainer has alot to do with it but ultimately it's the horse, it's either good enough or it's not....but I'd still put my money on the horse.

We all said that about the last race, and look who won...

We all said that about the last race, and look who won...

Racecourses in Ireland are all round. I can't imagine anyone getting lost.:D

Jawgap wrote: »
    There's a point-to-point in Bray on the 27th:-

http://www.p2p.ie/content.php?key=Fixtures%20Autumn%2009

But it could be done as a "team chase" -

"The competition consists of teams of four riders from each hunt, riding relay fashion, against one another, using a hunting crop as the baton. The teams must be composed of one lady rider, one male member, one hunt staff and one heavy weight male member."

There's a point-to-point in Punchestown on Valentine's Day. The point-to-point course there is on the inside of the main course, much closer to the tarmac road than the actual racecourse, so maybe that's an idea.

We could set up a few 'chase fences on the tarmac roadway for the cyclists, adapted slightly, of course, just to make it a little easier for you guys! :)

As for the 'hunt chase' appraoch - it could work. Esroh and I will probably need to get together to find two more people for the team, but we'll get back to ye when/if we find two extra people.

Let's not overcomplicate things. Me vs. Mr Ed, straight up, over a distance somewhere between my and his respective strengths.

Let's not overcomplicate things. Me vs. Mr Ed, straight up, over a distance somewhere between my and his respective strengths.

At the risk of overcomplicating again, would it not make sense to do an up and back? That way any gradient is neutralised and the spectators get to see both start and finish.

• Advertisement

I thought it was laps of a course, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Jawgap wrote: »
    There'd be no problem getting the heavyweight male member!

For the cyclists:-
    Lady rider :- Caroline
    Male rider :- Blorg (on the fixie)
    Staff:- Lumen
    Heavyweight:- ???????

I'd probably count as heavyweight...

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

Sorry I've missed much of this...Is Mockler riding a horse?

poochiem wrote: »
    Sorry I've missed much of this...Is Mockler riding a horse?

103131.jpg

Hi guys,

Sorry for dragging up such an old thread, but felt it was the best place to post...

Anyway... I met a few cyclists while hacking out on the roads this morning. I met them near a narrow bridge on a bend in the road and they did everything perfectly from my point of view. They were going in the same direction as me, so gave me a shout to let me know they were behind me. Obviously, as I wasn't expecting them, I got a bit of a fright (I could hear a car approaching so was expecting a car, not a shout! :D), but they gave me enough time and space to turn around and face them and let the horse see them before they passed, and when they did pass me, they left ample space between them and the horse.

Not sure if they were boardsies, but said I'd say thank you to them here, just incase. Their consideraton was much appreciated! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Did the race between Tonto and the horse ever happen?

If it's still on, the horse can have a loan of my bike if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Voeckler loses out to trotting horse

I note from the gallery that there was no rider on the horse. Also, it was a 380-metre straight and they had a flying start.

Voeckler loses out to trotting horse

I note from the gallery that there was no rider on the horse. Also, it was a 380-metre straight and they had a flying start.
    The term rider is incorrect for trotting the horse is beig driven.

This sort of thing would be easy enough to organise. Ballinasloe fair is not to far off. Sure if the word was put out there plenty of takers would be found if the price was right. Plenty of trotters to be found around Galway;)

Advertisement