Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for first rc airplane

Options
  • 18-01-2010 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

I'd appreciate some recommendations for a rc airplane. I live in the countryside surrounded by large open fields so would have the space to fly it. A model shop called Marks Models in Hawkins Street suggested a helicopter which I hadn'tconsidered. What would be a good robust rc model to buy and where (online or bricks and mortar) as I'll probably need spares if/when I crash it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I suggest you find a club where someone will teach you to fly.
    ( Particularly chopper ) As it could get very expensive and you'll probably loose interest before you learn properly if you try teach yourself.

where abouts are you ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I live in Kildare. I used to work in the aviation industry and know how a plane flies, I.e., elevators make it climb/descend,ailerons make it roll and rudder makes it turn. Or is a rc plane different and trickier to fly. I guess it would be the landings that would be hardest to manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭seanmcgrath48

What you want is a Parkzone ,just do a google search for them or go on E-Bay
    Very easy to fly and quiet strong and tough and at only around £150 new ,thats cheap
    loads of spares from the model shops that sell them...

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

Theres a model flying club very close to you in Prosperous called "Hanger 45", they had a very successful funfly this time last year with nearly 40 registered pilots (mainly Heli but some planes also). PM if you require contact details. They could advise on plane/heli/radio choice...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

If you want to fly outdoors, then the helis that can do that are not the cheapo plastic ones toy shops stock. So you therefore buy a stronger machine and that costs more, every time you crash while learning, it costs more.

For flying outdoors a plane will master the wind far far better, avoiding difficult to fly helis while you are still in the "bump & bash" stage of learning. Get a heli later after you have learned to fly, if you wish. At that point, it is just a step up to a different new model.

The best trainer models I am aware of that suit flying here in Ireland in the past 5 years are the Multiplex Mini Mag, The Multiplex Easy Star / Carson Skydreamer (which are very similar), and the Green Hobby Daisy E version.

They are not the models that have sold the most here, due to not being the cheapest. But those ones are the most successful models used as trainers here. People who got those models have mastered flying in a much shorter time, and most of them still had the trainer still fully working when they got plane no 2. So they had a backup model at an early stage, which is important.

If you get planes that are either over or under powered (too fast or not fast enough) or too cheap (= fragile and unsuitable for repair/maintenance) usually end up with the learner wiping out their unsuitable trainer plane completely. Then you must buy plane no 2 too soon (increases chance of wiping that one out!), or give up due to an unbearably short time (minutes) before plane no 1 died.

I suggest you look up the trainer models I mentioned, and see which one seems the more interesting, since you must like it too! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 darcynash

Hey there, have inherited a plane in unbuilt form. a trainer luckily. wanted to know where is best to get the engine and controller and servos? dublin? or internet? dont mind second hand as long as the engines not too powerful or not powerful enough. any ideas?
    cheers

Green Hobby & Model, Harolds Cross, www.greenhobbymodel.com

The Model Centre, Capel Street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

What you want is a Parkzone ,just do a google search for them or go on E-Bay
    Very easy to fly and quiet strong and tough and at only around £150 new ,thats cheap
    loads of spares from the model shops that sell them...

Yes i like parkzone myself. I am flying planes 22 years and helis just over 2, got son a parkzone radian, one of best value for money planes i seen so far. Its a powered glider 3 channel one, neighbours son also got one, and they are great for learning, son has flown my p51 mustang nitro plane around no problem after learning on the radian.

I actually find the helis better in the wind than planes myself. The radian is quite light and best flown in reasonably calm weather but i have flown it in very windy weather. video of sons one here with camera on it. The main video on the page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/robbie77300

Before shelling out a lot of money on a "real" rc plane, I decided to buy a cheap foam model in Maplins that gave us (kids and myself) a couple of weekends of fun until for some reason, the motors stopped running (I know it was cheap but it wasn't abused and crashed very rarely).

However, its given us the flying bug and I want to progress to a proper model. I've looked at some of the suggestions above but those glider type models seem to be fragile looking and I wonder what would happen if it landed, caught a wingtip and cartwheeled?

I've looked at the following models and I'd like some opinions:

the Cessna 182 - scroll down http://www.discount-rc-toys.com/userimages/procart29.htm

or

this cessna thats supposedly for beginners as the prop comes off in a crash to prevent damage to the engine
    http://www.discount-rc-toys.com/userimages/procart29.htm

or

or

http://www.boyztoys.ie/?0ls:item,c:895,id:3449

or

http://www.boyztoys.ie/?0ls:item,c:895,id:3450

I tried the model shop on Capel St in Dublin but the guy in there wasn't very helpful and didn't appear to be too keen to sell a noobie a rc plane :confused:

Before shelling out a lot of money on a "real" rc plane, I decided to buy a cheap foam model in Maplins that gave us (kids and myself) a couple of weekends of fun until for some reason, the motors stopped running (I know it was cheap but it wasn't abused and crashed very rarely).

However, its given us the flying bug and I want to progress to a proper model. I've looked at some of the suggestions above but those glider type models seem to be fragile looking and I wonder what would happen if it landed, caught a wingtip and cartwheeled?

I've looked at the following models and I'd like some opinions:

the Cessna 182 - scroll down http://www.discount-rc-toys.com/userimages/procart29.htm

or

this cessna thats supposedly for beginners as the prop comes off in a crash to prevent damage to the engine
    http://www.discount-rc-toys.com/userimages/procart29.htm

or

or

http://www.boyztoys.ie/?0ls:item,c:895,id:3449

or

http://www.boyztoys.ie/?0ls:item,c:895,id:3450

I tried the model shop on Capel St in Dublin but the guy in there wasn't very helpful and didn't appear to be too keen to sell a noobie a rc plane :confused:

Well the radian is a lot less fragile than it looks, they dont really cartwheel if you catch a wing, it just catches a wing and spins round on its belly and stops because they are quite slow flying, we have one and the neighbours son got one after trying my sons one. They are very easy to learn on, very big wingspan at 2000mm and so very easy to see and flight times from 30 mins to an hour on a charge. But its all a matter of preference. The low wing one in boyztoys would usually not be suitable for beginners as the high wing cesna types are more stable as the body hangs below the wings. My own opinion would be the radian is one of best i`ve seen and if you seen it first hand you`d probably like it. I started with a precedent HI-BOY which people in the hobby a few years would know, they flew well but were quite heavy and fast. And if you caught a wing on that landing it was certain to need a bit of repairing. You could come up and see it flying and actually try the radian yourself as we have two radios we can link up and for a beginner to try is very straightforward.

Id definitely recommend 2.4ghz radio whatever you get, im using them 2 and half years without ever seeing a single incident of interference. Glitches were common on the 35 mhz

• Advertisement

... or this cessna thats supposedly for beginners as the prop comes off in a crash to prevent damage ...

That's hilarious. :D
    Who would spin a rotating blade in close proximity to hands and eyes that was not firmly attached? Have you got a few surplus fingers?
    robbie7730 wrote: »
    ... Glitches were common on the 35 mhz
    Your comment only holds true for some makes. One well known maker had a recall on their 2.4ghz equipment, and planes have gone into the ground at public flying demonstrations on 2.4 gigs due to technical problems. So it's not a frequency problem, more the quality control in a maker of radio equipment, and sometimes the user's understanding of the limitations of the gear they are using.

Actually i think the cesna ones you looked at would be more likely to cartweel in the event of catching a wing, they look quite fast as well. I actually made a bit of a hiccup landing the neighbours radian during the snow`d in weather we had, i clipped the top of a tree along the edge of the big green and it took a dive straight into the ground, no damage at all.
    But its just one opinion but i think the radian is one of best i`ve flown.

Just as matter of interest heres the list of aircraft i flew from 1988.
    Hi-boy 3 channel, Hi-boy 4 channel, galaxy magician, Galaxy mystic, P51-mustang, Helicopters- falcon 3d, trex 450, trex 600, parkzone radian.

coolwings wrote: »
    Your comment only holds true for some makes. One well known maker had a recall on their 2.4ghz equipment, and planes have gone into the ground at public flying demonstrations on 2.4 gigs due to technical problems. So it's not a frequency problem, more the quality control in a maker of radio equipment, and sometimes the user's understanding of the limitations of the gear they are using.

Well i can only speak from experience, all gear has limitations, plenty of planes have gone into the ground on all frequencies,

Well i can only speak from experience,
    Same here!
    plenty of planes have gone into the ground on all frequencies,
    That's not likely to change either. They all come down! :D

coolwings wrote: »
    Same here!

That's not likely to change either. They all come down! :D

Yes but experience sometimes slows progress, or at least the progress of
    the experienced individual.

I've been to a few model shops now to look at some of the planes recommended above (can't find any place that sells a Parkzone Radian, incl. eBay and Amazon.

The Carson Skydreamer (non aileron model) is 250 euro in Greens of Dublin (but seeing as the guy there was too busy to answer some questions on this model as he was answering his mobile and popping outside to see how his car repair was coming on, I don't think I'll hand over my hard earned to him). Later after checking the web, I found a place that sells the Carson for 125 sterling, half the price of Greens.

A Piper Cub is 119 euro in boys toys near the airport. However both places said I'd have trouble flying them if there was any wind which sounds silly as we always have at least a breeze in this country.

What I'm looking for is an easy to fly model, fairly robust, good flight characteristics and a reasonable engine that can cope with at least a slight wind. However after researching a few models I'm even more confused now than when I started looking for a proper rc plane!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DennisZ

I've been to a few model shops now to look at some of the planes recommended above (can't find any place that sells a Parkzone Radian, incl. eBay and Amazon.

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=27982

The Carson Skydreamer (non aileron model) is 250 euro in Greens of Dublin (but seeing as the guy there was too busy to answer some questions on this model as he was answering his mobile and popping outside to see how his car repair was coming on, I don't think I'll hand over my hard earned to him). Later after checking the web, I found a place that sells the Carson for 125 sterling, half the price of Greens.

A Piper Cub is 119 euro in boys toys near the airport. However both places said I'd have trouble flying them if there was any wind which sounds silly as we always have at least a breeze in this country.

What I'm looking for is an easy to fly model, fairly robust, good flight characteristics and a reasonable engine that can cope with at least a slight wind. However after researching a few models I'm even more confused now than when I started looking for a proper rc plane!

Well the main reasons i recommended the parkzone radian is because its very easy to learn to fly it, it comes ready to fly with everything needed, and its very durable, the neighbours son has landed his out on our front green after a couple of flights and its quite tight to land out front here. I found same thing with certain shop as yourself, so i dont bother anymore. Them parkzone planes are great, i just yesterday flew their p51 mustang electric one a friend bought, amazing flight performance. But the radian is one of my favourite planes ever, its my son that owns the one here, so he has one and so has neighbours son, both of them are 10 and no problem flying them. We have had it up to and over 1500 feet a few times. did you look at it on my youtube page. If you fancy drivin you can try it out yourself no problem as we have 2 radios to link and anyone can try flying it.

I actually did`t fancy them that much when first seen on web sites but got for son anyway. When ye actually see them flying they are really great though. We get between 30 minutes and an hour flight time and in summer heat with thermals it can fly very long flights. Its wing span is 2 meters, and its great to put a little camera on it. All parts can be got seperate as well if spares were needed.

This is where i got sons one
    www.squadronleader.co.uk

Just noticed the link to sussex models in dennisZ post. They sell them as well, if you were to get one, the one in the link he put up is pnp as in plug and play, for when you already have a radio and receiver. thats 116 sterling. Its 197 + postage for full setup ready to fly.
    Squadronleader its 182 sterling at the moment, postage i think was around 25 euro so its about 230 euro delivered, thats what our one was anyway.

I think the carson skydreamer is not too bad, but the stock one is a brushed motor, nowhere near the power of a brushless, the radian is brushless, it is actually overpowered if anything, which is not a bad thing i believe. I find overall it is great in the wind, i have flown it in gale winds although it takes a bit of experience of flying in winds to do it in very windy conditions, but the 2 young lads have no trouble flying theirs in good winds. I think you would like it, but as i say, you can try one first hand without buying anything if you want to venture up this way. I almost sound like a radian sales man now:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I haven't had time to check all of the links to suggestions but i notice a lot of RTF stuff being proposed. Can I ask is the radio gear in all of these transferable to other models once your up to snuff and bored of a trainer ?

I ask because I would always suggest a cheap trainer and engine combo with the best RC gear you can buy - the other 2 are expendable.

• Advertisement

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I haven't had time to check all of the links to suggestions but i notice a lot of RTF stuff being proposed. Can I ask is the radio gear in all of these transferable to other models once your up to snuff and bored of a trainer ?

I ask because I would always suggest a cheap trainer and engine combo with the best RC gear you can buy - the other 2 are expendable.

Well the radios with RTF aircraft can be used on the next aircraft.

To re use first radio you have to re trim where as the computerised radio ones will remember the settings of each aircraft you put on it.

RTF is recommended because they are usually the best way for a complete beginner to try flying. If they want to seriously continue then the best way is get a good radio then. If they get bored of flying after first aircraft then not too much spent.

My first basic futaba radio in 1988 was dearer than the RTF radian i bought for son last year which had everything needed to fly.

Thanks for the advice and for pointing me in the direction of those websites.

Just my luck, the rtf radian is out of stock. I don't have a receiver/transmitter etc to buy the plug and play version so I guess I'll have to wait until its back in stock.

Final question.................why is the radian more expensive than smaller aircraft like the P51 Mustang, seeing as the radian is slower?

Thanks for the advice and for pointing me in the direction of those websites.

Just my luck, the rtf radian is out of stock. I don't have a receiver/transmitter etc to buy the plug and play version so I guess I'll have to wait until its back in stock.

Final question.................why is the radian more expensive than smaller aircraft like the P51 Mustang, seeing as the radian is slower?

Well the radian is a lot bigger, it has the same motor as the P51 so how fast it goes would`t have any bearing on price, but the big difference is the P51 comes with a 27 mhz radio, they have not really been used on serious radio control aircraft flying in decades if they ever were and are probably used on rc cars so that is a problem, 35 mhz is used here for aircraft, and now 2.4 ghz can be used for anything- cars, boats, aircraft.
    The radian uses a spektrum DX5e 2.4 ghz radio, which means you can go flying with others without having to think about what channel any other pilots are using because the 2.4 ghz radios incorporate channel scanning to find clear channels when you switch on. I have been using the dx7 for near 3 years now, no interference or any glitches at all in that time.

If its fast planes your after then the radian would be a bit slow, but it certainly is brilliant for learning. My lad flew my nitro powered very fast p51 mustang around having learned with his radian.

Here is another link selling them.
    http://www.modelmaniacsonline.co.uk/products.php?ProductID=7049&CatID=7&SubCatID=120

Thanks again for the help and advice.

I think I'll go with the radian to learn on and once I get proficient, I'll think about getting a faster plane. Will I be able to use the receiver/transmitter on the next plane, i.e. buy a plug and play model and thus save on buying another controller etc?

Thanks again for the help and advice.

I think I'll go with the radian to learn on and once I get proficient, I'll think about getting a faster plane. Will I be able to use the receiver/transmitter on the next plane, i.e. buy a plug and play model and thus save on buying another controller etc?

You could but you would be far better getting a computerised radio if after learning on the radian you think you will continue in the hobby. Firstly as the radian is a great aircraft to have even if you move onto a rocket fast plane, and also something like a DX6i is not very expensive and will store 10 models in it including the radian as you can then bind it to the DX6i. Receivers can then be got for any new aircraft

I have heli`s and a very fast p51 mustang and still i fly the radian most of all. Can throw in the car and fly it anywhere. Make sure if you do get one you dont just go and try flying it, while they are easy enough to learn it would not be easy for a beginner to try alone.

Re. your comment about being careful flying it as a beginner, while I admit that I am a noob to rc aircraft and have a cheap and cheerful rc aircraft, it is still a big step up from what you'd buy in Smyths toy store! - see attached pic

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sky-II-Remote-Control-Plane/dp/B000V17LYG

Its not very powerful and struggles even in a slight head wind. Its a 2 channel plane so turning is managed by reducing power to one engine, and with no elevator control, climbing is poor tbh. However its taught me throttle control and I've learned not to bank too steeply or else it'll soon kiss the ground! I had it out flying yesterday in Malahide Castle grounds in Dublin and had it doing circuits and climbing/diving and even chasing the kids until the battery ran out which unfortunately it does after only 8 minutes at most. Still its reignited the rc bug that I had when I was a kid as I really wanted one of these but couldn't afford one. Now I can afford one, I'm going to treat myself.

I reckon I will be able to manage to fly the radian competently enough as I have a background in the aviation industry to help me with the more advanced flying characteristics of the radian. Thanks again for the help and advice which was a lot more than I got in all the model shops I visited.

Re. your comment about being careful flying it as a beginner, while I admit that I am a noob to rc aircraft and have a cheap and cheerful rc aircraft, it is still a big step up from what you'd buy in Smyths toy store! - see attached pic

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sky-II-Remote-Control-Plane/dp/B000V17LYG

Its not very powerful and struggles even in a slight head wind. Its a 2 channel plane so turning is managed by reducing power to one engine, and with no elevator control, climbing is poor tbh. However its taught me throttle control and I've learned not to bank too steeply or else it'll soon kiss the ground! I had it out flying yesterday in Malahide Castle grounds in Dublin and had it doing circuits and climbing/diving and even chasing the kids until the battery ran out which unfortunately it does after only 8 minutes at most. Still its reignited the rc bug that I had when I was a kid as I really wanted one of these but couldn't afford one. Now I can afford one, I'm going to treat myself.

I reckon I will be able to manage to fly the radian competently enough as I have a background in the aviation industry to help me with the more advanced flying characteristics of the radian. Thanks again for the help and advice which was a lot more than I got in all the model shops I visited.

Well its easy enough to fly the radian, but i`d still recommend getting some assistance with first flight at least. Id say you probably would fly it around no problem, but because it has a high amount of lift, giving it full or near full throttle on hand launch and it will actually do a loop and even experienced pilots have been caught out with that. But if you do go for it, pick a big open area on calm day, give it half throttle and launch it level and throttle up to climb, on full throttle we have to give slight down elevator to stop it looping, its quite easy but takes a little practice. And because its a good performing glider it can glide a long way and lose very little altitude so it takes a bit of practice doing tight turns to lose altitude etc.

A photo of our one in flight

PICT0043.JPG

Well its easy enough to fly the radian, but i`d still recommend getting some assistance with first flight at least. Id say you probably would fly it around no problem, but because it has a high amount of lift, giving it full or near full throttle on hand launch and it will actually do a loop and even experienced pilots have been caught out with that. But if you do go for it, pick a big open area on calm day, give it half throttle and launch it level and throttle up to climb, on full throttle we have to give slight down elevator to stop it looping, its quite easy but takes a little practice. And because its a good performing glider it can glide a long way and lose very little altitude so it takes a bit of practice doing tight turns to lose altitude etc.

In a former life, I had to pass an exam on theory of flight, aircraft control etc for my job and thats why I'm fairly confident that I will be able to fly the Radian. However I'm not arrogant and I appreciate your heads up on the little things like not giving the Radian full throttle at launch or it will loop and come back and smack you in your face :eek::D. Must be a hell of a lot of lift in those wings!

Your youtube video of the Radian in flight is amazing. How did you get a camera small enough to fit on the wing without affecting the stability of the plane? I'd like to try that at some point in the future.

• Advertisement

I was an air traffic controller once and as part of my training, I had to pass an exam on theory of flight, aircraft control etc and thats why I'm fairly confident that I will be able to fly the Radian. However I'm not arrogant and I appreciate your heads up on the little things like not giving the Radian full throttle at launch or it will loop and come back and smack you in your face :eek::D. Must be a hell of a lot of lift in those wings!

Your youtube video of the Radian in flight is amazing. How did you get a camera small enough to fit on the wing without affecting the stability of the plane? I'd like to try that at some point in the future.

Its a flycamone v2. Normally i put it about 5 or 6 inches from the fuselage so its light enough not to affect the balance. But in video where you see the glider we put it far enough out that it would affect the balance so i taped an AA batery to underside of opposite wing to balance it. The camera weighs only 35 grams. It has an sd card to record video or still shots it takes every 4 seconds in photo mode. We got a loan of wireless video setup as well and flew it using video glasses. That was very interesting also.

There is a lot of lift and the motor is powerful for that glider. Great climb rate on it.

Advertisement