Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for first rc airplane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

any link for the radian? what do people think of this?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250725772493#ht_6403wt_905

im a newbie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

any link for the radian? what do people think of this?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250725772493#ht_6403wt_905

im a newbie

Here is a post with links to the radian. Its post # 6 in the thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056092493

thank you. any opinion on my link?

thank you. any opinion on my link?

Im not sure about them myself, usually for any planes i look for reviews and its hard to find any on planes like that, im sure it will fly etc, but how well and how durable would be the questions we would want to know.
    Doest look too bad, we have 2 radians here though, one nearly 2 years, not a bother on it, where are you,, Cork?

ya im in cork....

• Advertisement

Hard to say what you should do. Id say that cub would fly grand anyway. Probably only suitable for nice calm days though. Although when starting off as a beginner they are the only days to learn at first anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭t1mm

Just read over this topic - thanks for the useful posts robbie7730! A couple of years ago (when I too didn't have the money!) I was looking at buying a Wingo, big foamy models that I saw quite a few people mount cameras on. I've flown a few small toy planes before but I'd like to mount a camera on a bigger one - I think you might have convinced me to get a Radian!

Edit: I knew I had another question. I bought an electric RC helicopter a while back but it turned out to be a bit of a heap. The rotor barely managed to get it off the ground. I know you can use radios from plane to plane, but to cut down on the cost of a radian - d'you know if the receiver and transmitter for the helicopter could be salvaged and put into it, or would the channels etc all be setup differently?

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

Depends what type it is, what model did it come from?

t1mm wrote: »
    d'you know if the receiver and transmitter for the helicopter could be salvaged and put into it, or would the channels etc all be setup differently?

Thanks again!

I would say its unlikely, the small cheap rc models would not have a long range on the radios, where as the one on the radian would have a mile or more of range, well beyond visual limits anyway. The radian is a big enough model so can be flown 5 or 600 meters away by sight, i doubt the radio from the helicopter you have would do it. The radio with the radian is quite good, no interference problems from other radios etc.

I have put up a video of the snow in this forum if you want to look, its from a radian, i flew it and edited the video in reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Wanderer81

Hi Robbie first of all thanks for the great advice,convinced now electric is the way to go.I have never flown before and have finally decided to take the leap.I have set my sights on this unit as its the cheapest i could find,

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Parkzone-Radian-PKZ4700-Remote-Control-Aeroplan-Glider-/160516769697?pt=UK_Toys_Games_Scalextrics_Slot_Cars_ET&hash=item255f8b87a1

Your opinion on it would be much appreciated,and also i would like to train as much as possible virtually, before i take it out into the real world.I'm hoping to connect the included radio to my laptop if thats possible but I'm unsure as to what other software and cables i would need.

Many thanks and keep up the good work.

• Advertisement

http://www.hobbyjapan2000.com/store/proddetail.php?prod=DRAFLYE

That is the helicopter thats lying around at home. On further reading about receivers/transmitters, it seems I would be much better off with a 2.4Ghz set rather than this 35mhz, even if it did work in the plane.

Wanderer81 wrote: »
    Hi Robbie first of all thanks for the great advice,convinced now electric is the way to go.I have never flown before and have finally decided to take the leap.I have set my sights on this unit as its the cheapest i could find,

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Parkzone-Radian-PKZ4700-Remote-Control-Aeroplan-Glider-/160516769697?pt=UK_Toys_Games_Scalextrics_Slot_Cars_ET&hash=item255f8b87a1

Your opinion on it would be much appreciated,and also i would like to train as much as possible virtually, before i take it out into the real world.I'm hoping to connect the included radio to my laptop if thats possible but I'm unsure as to what other software and cables i would need.

I have recommended that radian glider to a few people, my son has one, and i regularly fly one as well for taking photos, i would buy that one anyway, great at that price for it.

Here is where i bought sons one (second one) RTF
    http://www.squadronleader.co.uk/category/ParkZone_Radian_Glider,b.html

I have a cularis which i fly mostly now, and trex 600 and 450 helis, have videos of them on youtube.

Cheers,bought and paid for,worked out about 35 euros cheaper on ebay:)Hope it come before christmas tho.Great videos by the way.

Cheers,bought and paid for,worked out about 35 euros cheaper on ebay:)Hope it come before christmas tho.Great videos by the way.

Ebay users are normally very fast at posting, is it the linked one you got?
    Could meet up if you want it flown and get you the feel of flying it. They are not too difficult to learn on them. 2 radios can be hooked together and that works great.

Yep it was that one,seems legit from a hobby shop in Bristol i think.The one you mentioned on squadronleader didn't come with a mains adapter for the charger and had to be bought separetly,didn't say if it was supplied with mine but will have to wait and see.

Would be a great help to have some experienced there with me as i dont fancy smashing it the first time i fly it,I'm based in Kildare right on the curragh so plenty of open spaces.Where abouts are you yourself?

Yep it was that one,seems legit from a hobby shop in Bristol i think.The one you mentioned on squadronleader didn't come with a mains adapter for the charger and had to be bought separetly,didn't say if it was supplied with mine but will have to wait and see.

Would be a great help to have some experienced there with me as i dont fancy smashing it the first time i fly it,I'm based in Kildare right on the curragh so plenty of open spaces.Where abouts are you yourself?

Im in navan, we can sort something out.
    They dont come with a mains charger, they use a charger with a cigarette lighter for charging in a car. I use a better charger since i was flying electric helicopters before them gliders and they have much bigger batteries in them. A very good charger can be got from an online shop from Hong Kong for about €20 and they are a brill charger for the price, but you dont need to worry about any of that now. For charging in the house you would need a 12v power supply, but again for the first while just charge in car.

Definitely dont try flying it yourself, its hard to be patient for some, including me, i remember my first attempts a fair few years ago now. But once i got the experienced help it was easy enough to learn after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bibi-phoque

It may be an idea to try on a simulator first (like the free FMS), just to get the orientation right (like landing the plane facing you). It helped me a lot when I started. Also, I was scared to go too high at the start where in fact it's a big advantage as you have loads of time to correct your orientation mistakes. I still found the learning curve much quicker and more satisfying than Helis!

It may be an idea to try on a simulator first (like the free FMS), just to get the orientation right (like landing the plane facing you). It helped me a lot when I started. Also, I was scared to go too high at the start where in fact it's a big advantage as you have loads of time to correct your orientation mistakes. I still found the learning curve much quicker and more satisfying than Helis!

Nothing beats an experienced pilot out with you the first few times though, but the sim is a huge help alright, and a combination of both is the best of all.

I prefer the planes to helis myself, learned the heli flying just from the sim and then out flying them but that was after years of flying fixed wing which does help i think.

Now i like the gliders a lot. Always liked the idea of them, powered ones anyway.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Nothing beats an experienced pilot out with you the first few times though, but the sim is a huge help alright, and a combination of both is the best of all.

I prefer the planes to helis myself, learned the heli flying just from the sim and then out flying them but that was after years of flying fixed wing which does help i think.

Now i like the gliders a lot. Always liked the idea of them, powered ones anyway.

Definitely. I wish I had somebody to help me when I started!

• Advertisement

Definitely. I wish I had somebody to help me when I started!

I remember starting and trying it myself, at the end of the 80`s it was, after the 3rd attempt and crash and repair i went and got the experienced help. Was easy enough then.

My Radian glider arrived in the post today biggrin.gif just taught i would post a few pics up of the official unboxing and whats actually included in the Kit.
    Robbie if you still fancy meeting up sometime to get me off the ground that would be great.
    14115083.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

30455548.jpg

dscf7041f.jpg

Jealousy is a terrible thing ;P

My Radian glider arrived in the post today biggrin.gif just taught i would post a few pics up of the official unboxing and whats actually included in the Kit.
    Robbie if you still fancy meeting up sometime to get me off the ground that would be great.

Yes can do that whenever suits. If you fancy the trek to navan you could see a few other aircraft as well, but where ever is handy can be done.

Dont mind poping over to Navan at all,would love to have a nosey at some other aircraft too.Will pm you me mobile number.

This looks like a nice piece of kit...I am about to order the AXN Floater jet (aka Cloud Fly) but this looks very good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

I've been to a few model shops now to look at some of the planes recommended above (can't find any place that sells a Parkzone Radian, incl. eBay and Amazon.

The Carson Skydreamer (non aileron model) is 250 euro in Greens of Dublin (but seeing as the guy there was too busy to answer some questions on this model as he was answering his mobile and popping outside to see how his car repair was coming on, I don't think I'll hand over my hard earned to him). Later after checking the web, I found a place that sells the Carson for 125 sterling, half the price of Greens.

A Piper Cub is 119 euro in boys toys near the airport. However both places said I'd have trouble flying them if there was any wind which sounds silly as we always have at least a breeze in this country.

What I'm looking for is an easy to fly model, fairly robust, good flight characteristics and a reasonable engine that can cope with at least a slight wind. However after researching a few models I'm even more confused now than when I started looking for a proper rc plane!

did you get this plane you were looking for?because id love to hear what kind you got?

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Yes i like parkzone myself. I am flying planes 22 years and helis just over 2, got son a parkzone radian, one of best value for money planes i seen so far. Its a powered glider 3 channel one, neighbours son also got one, and they are great for learning, son has flown my p51 mustang nitro plane around no problem after learning on the radian.

I actually find the helis better in the wind than planes myself. The radian is quite light and best flown in reasonably calm weather but i have flown it in very windy weather. video of sons one here with camera on it. The main video on the page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/robbie77300

what an amazing video well done.
    i bought this plane last year and i crashed it

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/HBZ4800.html

to be honest it was my first time flying an rc airplane and i crashed it a few times and it just wouldnt work anymore.maybe it wasnt beginner enough for me?id love some advise.
    i watched your video.that radian must be able to take some wind.id imagine it would be very windy where you took that video?and you would recommend the radian for an absoloute beginner?

cheers

crazygeryy wrote: »
    what an amazing video well done.
    i bought this plane last year and i crashed it

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/HBZ4800.html

to be honest it was my first time flying an rc airplane and i crashed it a few times and it just wouldnt work anymore.maybe it wasnt beginner enough for me?id love some advise.
    i watched your video.that radian must be able to take some wind.id imagine it would be very windy where you took that video?and you would recommend the radian for an absoloute beginner?

cheers

The main video on the page over the sea had a bit of wind alright. I was flying that flight using a tv screen and live video feed and the tv display had flight info on it, further down the video list (3rd and 9th if you click see all under the 3 thumbnails)you can see the display i would have during that type of flying. I have flown the radians on very windy days, on nice calm days they are nicer to fly though, like most aircraft really.

They are suitable for beginners, but someone that is experienced is needed to assist really. Aircraft suitable for beginners does not really mean a beginner can fly them on their own, it means they are easier to learn on than faster more aerobatic aircraft. Many try flying without any assistance, including myself in the 80`s when i started, and it just about always ends the same way.

If anyone wants to try on their own, a flight sim is the way forward then. But experienced assistance is better.

• Advertisement

14115083.jpg

30455548.jpg

dscf7041f.jpg

where did you get it?

Advertisement