Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless connection question

Options
  • 18-01-2010 3:30pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Might be a silly question but would love some insight here.

My router is wired to the pc and the pc is wired to the wall (to the modem). Currently, I have the pc in the living room and would like to move it. I used the pc to set up the wireless network. Since I got my laptop, I never use my pc and so it is simply taking up space. I want to put it into the spare room and set up an office area there.

However, by doing so, I'll have to connect the router directly to the wall. It took me an age to set the network up (not very tech savvy) and I'm afraid if I plug out the modem/restart it, it will stop working.

So my question is, will the router work if directly connected to the wall...I never have my pc on so it seems like it is not needed.

The router came with a wireless dongle so I can set my pc up wireless too.

Thanks for the help.

Tony

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Might be a silly question but would love some insight here.

My router is wired to the pc and the pc is wired to the wall (to the modem). Currently, I have the pc in the living room and would like to move it. I used the pc to set up the wireless network. Since I got my laptop, I never use my pc and so it is simply taking up space. I want to put it into the spare room and set up an office area there.

However, by doing so, I'll have to connect the router directly to the wall. It took me an age to set the network up (not very tech savvy) and I'm afraid if I plug out the modem/restart it, it will stop working.

So my question is, will the router work if directly connected to the wall...I never have my pc on so it seems like it is not needed.

The router came with a wireless dongle so I can set my pc up wireless too.

Thanks for the help.

Tony

Some aspects are a little unclear. Are you saying there's two wired connections from the PC, one to the modem, one to the router? Is the router not directly connected to the modem? Why wasn't the router connected direct to the modem in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Wall socket --> modem --> router -->(wireless)--> laptop & pc. Simples. Mostly ya just plug it up and it works. If ya don't live in the middle of a bog, use decent security on the wifi, e.g. WPA2.

Advertisement