Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New chainsaw

• 18-01-2010 3:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping to buy a new chainsaw soon and the Husquvarna 395xp looks to have all I need on a saw but about £850 for the one I'd like and thats on the net before postage they aint cheap. Anyone know of an Irish site with the price list shown that I can look up or of another make of saw that will compare to the above but a little cheaper thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thats a pretty big saw for Ireland, Most shops don't sell much over 70cc in my experience.
    Prices in the US are a lot less than here and even paying Duty and VAT can come out cheaper, I would recommend getting Powerhead only and getting a bar here. a 30"" bar is expensive to post due to weight and length.
    The equivalent Stihl is the MS 660.
    You are talking pro saws in that cc range and the number of manufacturers are small, hence the high prices.

Husqvarna 395XP
    Stihl MS 660
    Makita(Dolmar) 9010

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Does it have to be a new saw? There are several dealers out there who regularly have Pro saws in good condition- I've 4 different saws (for different purposes) none of which I bought new, all in perfect working order.

My own personal preference would be for a Husqvarna......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭hammer73

smccarrick wrote: »
    There are several dealers out there who regularly have Pro saws in good condition

Could you let me know who deals in second hand saws, i am in the market for a saw, probably somewhere in the range of 40 - 50cc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Thanks for the fast replies lads and thats good a tip about getting the powerhead only through the post because I'd want two bars and chains for it (different lenghts of course)
    I would prefer to buy new I have a Homelight now thats nearly as old as myself, it was a great saw though and I hope the next saw I buy will last as long .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭USER X

I made the mistake of buying a Ryobi saw because I like a lot of their power tools. I say the mistake because it has a tensioning wheel/knob on the side instead of the likes of the screw headed bolt on the Husqvarna and locking nut with tool. The chain has hopped off a few times, just cant get the tension and it guzzles the oil. Does anyone else find it difficult to set the tension right on their saw? How often should you have to adjust the chain tension?

• Advertisement

USER X wrote: »
    I made the mistake of buying a Ryobi saw because I like a lot of their power tools. I say the mistake because it has a tensioning wheel/knob on the side instead of the likes of the screw headed bolt on the Husqvarna and locking nut with tool. The chain has hopped off a few times, just cant get the tension and it guzzles the oil. Does anyone else find it difficult to set the tension right on their saw? How often should you have to adjust the chain tension?

Lots of low end saws have those quick adjusters, Stihl have them as well.
    Oil flow has nothing to do with the chain tension, does yours have an oil pump adjuster? Usually under the clutch cover with a + and - sign.
    Are you using the correct bar+chain oil not just motor oil? Bar oil is tackier to help it stick, it should be slow flowing this time of year.
    The chain should be tensioned cold, and I set mine so that I can pull the chain out of the groove almost so I can see the tip of the driver. As you tighten the bar make sure the tip of the bar is pushed down on a hard surface so the bar is forced gently upwards, Use one hand on the top handle and the other to tighten the bar.

hammer73 wrote: »
    Could you let me know who deals in second hand saws, i am in the market for a saw, probably somewhere in the range of 40 - 50cc

I got a 50cc tree surgery Husqvarna from Roundwood Machinery in Tomdarragh.
    If you ring Coillte in Newtownmountkennedy- and ask to speak to the trainer there- he will normally know a few local dealers who have good saws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭DanFindy

Id be lookin into Oleo Macs there fierce competitive for a v high quality saw!!

DanFindy wrote: »
    Id be lookin into Oleo Macs there fierce competitive for a v high quality saw!!

Yep I have one, Although I would say that there are only really two that I would consider to be excellent, the 956 and the 962, both are pro quality saws.
    But my favourite all rounder is the Husky 262XPG lots of grunt for the size of saw and heated grips make working at this time of year a pleasure.
    To be honest if you can pick up an old 254xp they are another great saw.
    Very few Husky XP saws are poor runners, and most of the white handle Stihls are also good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭DanFindy

Must agree with you on all counts there CJ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

O.A.P wrote: »
    I'm hoping to buy a new chainsaw soon and the Husquvarna 395xp looks to have all I need on a saw but about £850 for the one I'd like and thats on the net before postage they aint cheap. Anyone know of an Irish site with the price list shown that I can look up or of another make of saw that will compare to the above but a little cheaper thanks.

its priced here

http://www.husqvarnacentrelimerick.ie/sites/productdetails.aspx?p=1034

Hmm- seems reasonable enough- thats about EUR950 ex VAT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Thats a good price, I can get the same saw from the states for 892 euro including postage but I dont know what the duty would be? I have not spent long looking so I may find better than that but even so for the sake of 50, 60 euro at least I'd have some sort of come back if I bought at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

We bought a Husqvarna 365 in 2003 and it has been an excellent saw. Before that, we had a Stihl 029 which is a smaller saw, but the Husky is in a different league. A colleague bought one recently based on my recommendation and is delighted with the performance of the saw.

We bought a Husqvarna 365 in 2003 and it has been an excellent saw. Before that, we had a Stihl 029 which is a smaller saw, but the Husky is in a different league. A colleague bought one recently based on my recommendation and is delighted with the performance of the saw.
    The 365 is a good saw, much better than the 029/290.
    I had a 290 for a while and while they are the most popular model Stihl sell they are heavy and not great performers.
    The 365 would be semi pro, the 290 is a robust consumer saw.
    372xp and 346xp are lovely saws to use if you don't need a 90+cc machine and they won't wear you out if you have to cut all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 scaniaman

The husky 395xp is a felling saw big yoke to horse around all day.
    I fell dangerous trees do thinnings etc I have a Jonsered 2250 with18 inch bar great little saw Husky Jonsered all part of the same company.The Jonsered is a good bit cheaper than the husky as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭logger

Also looking to get a good saw for felling the odd tree, but mainly for cutting firewood. Have a Husky 236 I think, however damaged it from running it too long, had it reconditioned but still not great.

Looking for something with a bit more power, and that can be run for a few hours at a time. How do the Husky 440e, 445e and 450e compare to the 346XP, apart from power I mean.

What distinguishes the XP range from the others. Any opinions on the 455 also.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paddy cork

i was looking at uk websites for stihl chainsaws,found following prices
    ms 171 14bar 194pound
    ms 181 16bar 207pound
    is there any place in ireland that can better these prices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

paddy cork wrote: »
    i was looking at uk websites for stihl chainsaws,found following prices
    ms 171 14bar 194pound
    ms 181 16bar 207pound
    is there any place in ireland that can better these prices?

Afraid not, the 181 was in around €360 in my local hire shop. Best up North was 250 stg and he simply would not budge on price.
    Most online retailers will not sell to you unless you have bought from them before or can prove you are a safe user. Bought an alpina 35 in the end over the husky and the stihl. Does the job for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

• Advertisement

logger wrote: »

What distinguishes the XP range from the others. Any opinions on the 455 also.

Thanks

Husqvarna saws with XP are Pro saws, ie higher power and less weight.
    They also have better oil pumps with more adjustment and sometimes they have bigger airfilters with quick release fittings.
    XP-G means heated grips.
    Most of the newer huskies are OK the 455 is decent enough but the new strato saws are cold blooded until they have 12-15 tanks through them.
    I prefer the older Huskys 254-346-262 myself.
    On the lookout for a nice 254xp if anyone knows of one around.
    Seized doesn't matter but not too beaten up bodywise.

Advertisement