Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Print: Submissions Wanted

• 18-01-2010 3:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭

Rob here posting from the SU (Liz was generous enough to let me at the computer for ten minutes :))

Submissions are needed for the next issue of the magazine. Anything and everything please.

Furthermore, can I ask the people who posted up the pictures of snow-related stuff (igloos, Funky's awesome snowman) if we have their permission to use them in the next issue. I'd like for the college to see their snowy awesomeness.

(Can't remember if Michellenman did or just saw the AWESOME igloo)

Submissions to theprint@nuimsu.com

Cheers,

Rob.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I shall see if I can rustle something up from Geog Soc (although our PRO might already have something in, so I'm not sure.)

Do they have to be in straight away? If not, I know a few people who I could round up to do a few clubs/socs updates...

Okay, just checked the emails and we have something in already, I'll see what I can do though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Excellent :) Keep 'em coming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭TheeItcha

I submitted a significant article for the print the other day. I have submitted it, but will it be printed, I don't think so because it is not what the NUIMSU like and we all know what happens then.

I'm prepared to eat my words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Oooooooooooooh......*eagerly awaits banquo's response*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

TheeItcha, to be honest The Print seems a huge improvement from The Spoke in terms of printing a variety of opinion. Recent issues had good varied opinions on stuff like Bertiegate and the fantastic article another boardsie wrote on cutbacks and education. I actually think The Print WILL print most pieces providing you can back up an arguement, its well written, and it's not personal against other students.

It even seems like, dare I say it, we have a University paper this year!

banquo, did I PM you that piece earlier? I think I did,but cant see it in my Sent Box here, oddly. :/:/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

It was the kids down the road from me who built that igloo, wasn't me and wasn't in Maynooth. However, I doubt there'll be a problem if you really want to use it, just as long as you can't see any of the kids in it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

*Would write article about people using facebook in PACRs and Library but fears of being egged and ridiculed plague me*

(yes I'm STILL going on about this)
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

*Would write article about people using facebook in PACRs and Library but fears of being egged and ridiculed plague me*

I can't blame you, I was in callan hall trying to get notes to load while someone next to me was playing farmville.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Do it!

Might bring that up at union council if I think of it.

@Donal: will have a look at the inbox and let you know

@theeitcha: I don't "do" content this year (final year :(), but if you think something (just one thing! :D) is crap then certainly post it here or on the facebook forum. I'll certainly note it anyway ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Guys, it's against the rules to do any non-college related work in any of the PC labs bar the Arts Pod and Callan foyer (is that still there even?). I was in Long Corridor invigilating today and it's on the wall, signed by the SU president of the time (c.2006). So quit moaning on here and just kick these people off the PCs or ask the assistant to do it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Guys, it's against the rules to do any non-college related work in any of the PC labs bar the Arts Pod and Callan foyer (is that still there even?). I was in Long Corridor invigilating today and it's on the wall, signed by the SU president of the time (c.2006). So quit moaning on here and just kick these people off the PCs or ask the assistant to do it.

Long corridor is never full, can facebook and boards to your hearts content without pissing anyone off in there.

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Quit moaning on here and just kick these people off the PCs or ask the assistant to do it.

LeixlipRed, perhaps if the people were actually not dickheads that might work. I wrote to the SU president, I've complained to the assistants at least a dozen times and the arseholes just switch to moodle in a different tab and wait until the assistants are back in their offices. When I politely tell the facefúckers myself that I need to do college work/print assignments, I get told to "shove it up my hole" and "fúck off".

Facebook just needs to be blocked, end of, because Maynooth is apparently laden with arsehóles who don't give a bollox about anybody else.

edit: apologies, not meaning to de-rail the thread, just making a point that there are apparently piles of inconsiderate eejits in the college who still do not understand that tagging pictures is not an academic activity. /rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Are you going to put the next issue up online?

Not my call. I'll see what I can do though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

any sign of it Rob? My Private Messages are acting up.

Said PMs at first, looked a bit wrong :o

Hahahaha! Brilliant!

No PMs from yourself I'm afraid.

Robert.Munnelly@gmail.com :) Can open up in google docs super easy then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

LeixlipRed, perhaps if the people were actually not dickheads that might work. I wrote to the SU president, I've complained to the assistants at least a dozen times and the arseholes just switch to moodle in a different tab and wait until the assistants are back in their offices. When I politely tell the facefúckers myself that I need to do college work/print assignments, I get told to "shove it up my hole" and "fúck off".

Facebook just needs to be blocked, end of, because Maynooth is apparently laden with arsehóles who don't give a bollox about anybody else.

edit: apologies, not meaning to de-rail the thread, just making a point that there are apparently piles of inconsiderate eejits in the college who still do not understand that tagging pictures is not an academic activity. /rant

Afaik, bebo, fb, etc, are blocked in long corridor. Anyone know if that's the case? It used to be anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Nope, I spent a good few hours on facebook during tutorials in the long corridor.

Allan: I think you're being a bit harsh with some of your comments. Just tell them you have college work to do if they're social networking. I've never seen or heard of anyone being told to "**** off" etc. by another student for that reason. Especially in Maynooth of all places! I have often had people let me go in front of them in the queue for the library computers if I was close to a deadline!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

Allow me to play Devil, or in this case Facebook's advocate for a moment:

blocking the site is a dumb idea, have you though about what would happen when there are plenty of PC's and people genuinly want to catch up with there friends and family?
    Farmville isin't a problem then, but banning facebook would mean almost every PC on campus bar 6 or so in the arts building can be used for social websites.

Not everyone in this day and age has a personal laptop handy and some live away from family (over seas etc) for them social sites can be an important link to keeping in touch at home and expecting all of these people to stay in touch via 6 or so slow, rubbish "free for all" PC's in the arts block when there are dozens lying idle around campus is a selfish and narrow minded ideology.

I get as angry as the next person when I have an assignment deadline and I need to print, and I glance at a computer screen and see someone looking at photo albums or "twitting".
    But the bebo/facebook/twitter/boards.ie/myspace problem only exists when the PACRs are full, and when they are full they should be staffed, and when they are staffed the rule of "Academic work priority" should be upheld. If it isin't then it's the responcibility of the union to perhaps make THAT work, and not push to start banning things in order to free up one or two PC during a busy spell at the cost of taking hundreds of Campus PC's offline for social website users, users who may depend on those sites to keep in touch with home or close friends.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I've never once had trouble getting a PC. Long corridor or the computer centre nearly always have loads free.

Idea: Maybe each of the "printer" computers could have some sort of program that lists each computer room and tells you how many computers are free.

Meh, shmeh. Already debated this to death in previous thread. Point is, academic work takes priority over facebook and there are some arseholes who clearly don't understand what the PACRs are for.

Back OT, how's the next Print shaping up? Will there be RAG week details etc in this one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

how about I provide a few recipies? useful ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 doesntwatchtv

What sort of things are you looking for?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

sent in that article I told you I'd send in ages ago banquo.

Feel free to edit as u want. And I don't mind whether it's printed or not either! I can also send in more photos if you want!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭useded

Are you still taking articles?

What sort of things are you looking for?

No matter, it's filled now :)

sent in that article I told you I'd send in ages ago banquo.

Feel free to edit as u want. And I don't mind whether it's printed or not either! I can also send in more photos if you want!

It might be in, I don't actually 'do' content this year :o, I'm just back from the SU helping out with last-minute typesetting/colour stuff/nerdy design stuff before it goes to print.
    useded wrote:
    Are you still taking articles?

They're taking articles, but not for this issue. Will be the next issue.

The problem with this issue was that, because of exams, we weren't getting as many submissions - hence the post on here (though I think there should be a constant SU rep on here, since it's where so much news comes from). Loads came flooding through at the last minute I'm told.

Right, back to college stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Crap, only saw this now.....did you use the pic? Permission aweh!

Can't remember, was working on some other pages to bring then up to 'tolerable'.

I hope so, it'd be a shame if they're not in it. Some seriously great snow pictures out there and they'd be redundant by the next issue...

• Advertisement

I just realised... banquo do you know who the canteen correspondent is?!:eek: Being behind the scenes and all as you are...

Advertisement