Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

radio jobs

• 18-01-2010 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

98fm today fm and newstalk are all advertising positions in their stations for future talent..i noticed that the 3 ads are nearly word for word on each site? i am wondering is this something that they are made to do by the broadcasting commision or something and if so is there actually any weight to these ads or are they compulsory?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Have Newstalk and Today FM got a separate website for jobs or something because I cant seem to come across the link.
    i noticed that the 3 ads are nearly word for word on each site

Arent the three all basically owned by Dennis O'Brien which might expalin the similarities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭djsupreme

I think the disclaimer at the end of all of them gives the answer. "This is a promotional offer - there may not be any immediate positions available".

This is obviously a group Communicorp effort to see what talent is out there. Whether they'll take many, or any, people on we'll have to wait and see. The fact that they state it's a promotional offer suggests to me that this is more about being seen to be doing something. Anyone remember the Foxy Jock competition on 98FM a few years back to find the next big female radio star in Dublin? Where is she now.......?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭ConsiderThis

djsupreme wrote: »
    I think the disclaimer at the end of all of them gives the answer. "This is a promotional offer - there may not be any immediate positions available".

This is obviously a group Communicorp effort to see what talent is out there. Whether they'll take many, or any, people on we'll have to wait and see. The fact that they state it's a promotional offer suggests to me that this is more about being seen to be doing something. Anyone remember the Foxy Jock competition on 98FM a few years back to find the next big female radio star in Dublin? Where is she now.......?

Of course we can't really be surprised that radio stations will try to promote themselves, and if someone with apparant talend did happen to send in a tape, I'm sure they wouldn't ignore it. For the stations, this type of promo seems to be win win.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Does anyone here actually work for a radio station! I volunteer for a community radio station here in Athlone and find it next to impossible to even get an interview for a radio station!

I do know of a radio station that had a talent search, found there winner and the price was a job for atleast 6 months but the winner hasnt been heard of since!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

How would one go about recording a demo? As in a radio programme demo? How would you record audio of your own voice without background noise and play songs as well?

Would it have to be done in a studio or could it be done at home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

djhunter30 wrote: »
    Does anyone here actually work for a radio station! I volunteer for a community radio station here in Athlone and find it next to impossible to even get an interview for a radio station!

I do know of a radio station that had a talent search, found there winner and the price was a job for atleast 6 months but the winner hasnt been heard of since!

I do. I suggest you keep on trying and trying and offer to do anything they need answering phones\assisting on ob's etc etc to get your foot in the door. Get yourself noticed as being really interested and you will get your chance.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

kraggy wrote: »
    How would one go about recording a demo? As in a radio programme demo? How would you record audio of your own voice without background noise and play songs as well?

It could be done at home, but you would need silence! I do most of my promos and jingles at home!

djhunter30 wrote: »
    It could be done at home, but you would need silence! I do most of my promos and jingles at home!

What software do you use? Surely there would be background noise when using something like Audacity or the like?

And how would you switch from speech to playing tracks like on the radio?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

You'll still get alittle bit of noise, like movement and so on! I use different software, like Audacity, Wavepad and Mixpad usually for recording, mixing and putting stuff together.

You could record vocals and use zulu as a mixing deck for music!

Whoever you give it to will be listening for content not quality. Keep the links snappy and interesting to the target audience of the station you wish to join, Keep it local and relevant. If including music use only the first and last few seconds of the track. Audacity should do all you need. The final demo should only be a few minutes duration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

You will need to learn the basics of audio editing before you apply for a job at a commercial station. Stations want people that can multi-task.

Being able to edit segments for your show, mixdown music sweeps, pre-record stuff and generally mucking in to help other people is a big plus for anybody.

As already said, a studio quality demo is not important. At the same time don't record a 64k MP3 demo either. Keep it short, 3 or 4 minutes is loads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

The Muppit wrote: »
    Whoever you give it to will be listening for content not quality. Keep the links snappy and interesting to the target audience of the station you wish to join, Keep it local and relevant. If including music use only the first and last few seconds of the track. Audacity should do all you need. The final demo should only be a few minutes duration.

Yes audacity is more than sufficient, a three minute demo will do the trick, no need to have it any longer than that, as your talent will be evident within the first 30 seconds. In a three minute demo you should have approx 8 links give or take. To echo the post above, only include a second of a song as you begin your link, same at the end of your link.

More Music wrote: »
    You will need to learn the basics of audio editing before you apply for a job at a commercial station. Stations want people that can multi-task.

Being able to edit segments for your show, mixdown music sweeps, pre-record stuff and generally mucking in to help other people is a big plus for anybody.

As already said, a studio quality demo is not important. At the same time don't record a 64k MP3 demo either. Keep it short, 3 or 4 minutes is loads.

Why would you need to be able to mix down? Does the music stations receive have to be converted or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Why would you need to be able to mix down? Does the music stations receive have to be converted or something?

Well you need to be able to create stereo and mono audio if you're a radio producer!

For instance, if you are creating a show with vox pops, you'll need to down mix it so the interviewer is on the left stereo channel and the interviewee on the right. Or if you're working on a radio drama you might need to make a sound pan from left to right.

I think you're confused between compression and down mixing! Compression is editing songs so they all conform to the same level of 'loudness', as there is no uniform agreement of how loud recorded music must be. But in most radio stations (even community ones) they'll have a dynamic range compressor device which does this 'on the fly', live for each song/jingle/speech element.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Cunsiderthis

The Muppit wrote: »

Keep it snappy? Terry Wogan or Gay Byrne never seemed to keep it "snappy" and seemed to get on ok.

If you want to do the old fashioned DJ spinning discs, then maybe keep it snappy is good advice.

I'd prefer you to be yourself, and try to engage with the listener.

Keep it snappy? Terry Wogan or Gay Byrne never seemed to keep it "snappy" and seemed to get on ok.

If you want to do the old fashioned DJ spinning discs, then maybe keep it snappy is good advice.

He's unlikely to be as polished as Wogan or Byrne now is he. Keep it snappy means don't waffle irrespective of what type of show you're presenting. We talking about radio presenting here not Dj ing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

A standard link in commercial radio is 45 seconds long (give or take). It's also scripted a lot of the time. Not much wiggle room for self-expression there unfortunately.

Commercial radio doesn't care about you being yourself. They don't care about you. All they want is someone with a voice and personality that can keep people listening to their songs and, thus, ad breaks, promotions etc.

When you cut your teeth doing that (or reporting, newsreading, producing, making tea etc) only then will you get to actually get a shot to 'be yourself'.

You referenced two of the most experienced broadcasters in the British Isles as an example. Do you think they started out getting free reign in what they presented? Nope. They built up the opportunity to flex their muscles through delivering whatever the bosses wanted to perfection until they had cultivated a value to match their name. Only then did they get to 'be themselves'.

leggo wrote: »
    A standard link in commercial radio is 45 seconds long (give or take). It's also scripted a lot of the time. Not much wiggle room for self-expression there unfortunately.

Commercial radio doesn't care about you being yourself. They don't care about you. All they want is someone with a voice and personality that can keep people listening to their songs and, thus, ad breaks, promotions etc.

When you cut your teeth doing that (or reporting, newsreading, producing, making tea etc) only then will you get to actually get a shot to 'be yourself'.

You referenced two of the most experienced broadcasters in the British Isles as an example. Do you think they started out getting free reign in what they presented? Nope. They built up the opportunity to flex their muscles through delivering whatever the bosses wanted to perfection until they had cultivated a value to match their name. Only then did they get to 'be themselves'.

Well put, Word economy FTW.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement