Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waste collectors

Options
  • 18-01-2010 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

I am currently with KCC for refuse collection but would like to change.Main reason being that the ordinary bin is only collected every 2 weeks,and having a household of 6 it just isn't enough.My options seem to be AES or Oxigen.Know the details for AES,and they too only collect every 2 weeks.Can anyone tell me what way Oxigen do it and how much it is?Their website is under construction.Also what do you think about the brown bin from AES?Don't like the idea of food sitting in a bin for a month,it must smell surely!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

lip wrote: »
    IAlso what do you think about the brown bin from AES?Don't like the idea of food sitting in a bin for a month,it must smell surely!

I am with AES

The brown bin is also collected every two weeks not monthly

in hot weather we had a concern that there would be smell but if you put it out every two weeks and use compostable bags or paper bags/newspaper, this reduces the chances. You can also put leaves/cut grass etc in it which helps.

I find if you use all three bins (i.e. normal, recycling and brown) you greatly reduce the amount going in the normal bin and a collection every two weeks may actually work for you

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭cruizer22b

Im with Ray Whealan. They pick up normal bin every week and the other one every second week. €360 per year IIRC. Works out a lot better value then the tags. Did at the time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭lip

Hi,thanks for that.Had a rep from AES here the other day and I'm sure he said the brown bin was monthly,but I may have misheard.It wouldn't be too bad if it was,but is there a charge for it?
    Have never seen Ray Wheelan around,don't think they do my area.I think I'll have to sit with a cup of tea and ring around for best rates and collections.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

lip wrote: »
    Had a rep from AES here the other day and I'm sure he said the brown bin was monthly,but I may have misheard.It wouldn't be too bad if it was,but is there a charge for it?

its definetely two weeks in celbridge anyway, it and the recycling bin are collected one week, the normal waste the next

we also got a small bin for glass which is collected once a month

yes there is a charge for the brown bin, off the top of my head I think its around €3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Where are you based? If you are based in an area that's serviced by Thorntons then I recommend them. 270 euro per year for black/green/brown bins.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

AES are great. I switched to them last year.
    I use the compostable bags for the brown bin and it does not smell at all. It is collected every second week, but I find it could be a couple of months before I have it filled up.
    Between that bin and the recycle bin, I find that there is very little rubbish left for the normal green bin.
    Hence, great savings to be had.
    It is also a great advantage to have your glass bottles collected for free!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Also with Thorntons.
    The 270 euro option is the pay by weight one which might end up being more if you have a lot of waster.

Aes collect glass and are alot less strict about what you can put in the recycle bin.

I can't remember exactly offhand which plastic Thorntons accept but think it is only 2,4 and 6 so the rest has to go in your normal bin,which sucks.

Hi,OK,totally confused,(or maybe just thick).Whats 2,4and 6 plastic?I put all plastic into the recycling bin,except plastic wrapping,I thought everything else could be recycled.I think AES is probably my best bet.Didn't realise,but I'm stuck with council til next month,but will be changing after that.

Hi again.Decided to sign up with AES.Seem to be the best value.They don't do the glass bin in my area,they said they only have them in towns where there would be a lot of customers.A bit of a disappointment,but I'll try them out and see.Couldn't be as bad as KCC.Don't know how many times my recycle bin wasn't collected,and often had to buy 2 tags as kids would take them off the bins messing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

2, 4 and 6 are different types of plastic - much as there are many types of car, there are many types of plastic.

2 and 4 are polyethylene, low (2) and high density (4) and 6 is polystyrene. The numbers are usually printed or embossed onto the plastic e.g. on the bottom of a shampoo bottle you'll see a triangle with arrows, and the number in the middle.

You'll get more info here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resin_identification_code, which also outlines where each is typically used.

• Advertisement
Advertisement