Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Selling Valuable Coins

• 18-01-2010 5:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭

i have inherited an extensive coin collection that i know are worth a lot of money. I posted here before but now i have decided to sell one or two as i am emigrating to australia. I was just wondering does anybody know the best place would be to sell them?i wouldnt mind travelling to the uk if it was really worth it. the ones i am selling are most likely going to be double eagle 20 dollar gold coins any help appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

You could pop along to the coin fair that's coming up. Might be hard to sell them to the dealers there as most of them deal with Irish coins but you'll be able to get advice. If you do go, send me a PM and I'll hook you up with a dealer from the UK who can point you in the right direction.

Irish International Coin Fair February 27th — 28th 2010
    RDS Ballsbridge Serpentine Hall Hall 3 Anglesea Rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭keithg89

Thats great thanks very much. I will certainly let you know if I end up going. I have a folder of irish coins as well so I will bring those along with me. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

i have hundreds of old irsh coins, might pop along to one of these myself, im sure there work a good bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

I might be interested in gold coins. Can you pm me with details and some pictures? pat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tysonc80

Blade wrote: »
    You could pop along to the coin fair that's coming up. Might be hard to sell them to the dealers there as most of them deal with Irish coins but you'll be able to get advice. If you do go, send me a PM and I'll hook you up with a dealer from the UK who can point you in the right direction.

Irish International Coin Fair February 27th — 28th 2010
    RDS Ballsbridge Serpentine Hall Hall 3 Anglesea Rd.

Hi
    I have a load of old irish coins i got from my Dad would it be worth my while to go up to the RDS this weekend?I live in Galway but would go up if i thought i could get someone to buy them and make money:)!There is loads of them like old 10p-1969 and 1s-1966, £1 millennium coin also some 50p coins from 1981-1988 also loads of 5p coins some are 1969-1986, 1s coin with 1966 on it
    also a coin with usa 94 on it and a name Alan Mc Loughlin on the front of it
    Also loads of 20p coins and big 10p coins with all diffrent years.

Thanks in advance for any advice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tysonc80

tysonc80 wrote: »
    Hi
    I have a load of old irish coins i got from my Dad would it be worth my while to go up to the RDS this weekend?I live in Galway but would go up if i thought i could get someone to buy them and make money:)!There is loads of them like old 10p-1969 and 1s-1966, £1 millennium coin also some 50p coins from 1981-1988 also loads of 5p coins some are 1969-1986, 1s coin with 1966 on it
    also a coin with usa 94 on it and a name Alan Mc Loughlin on the front of it
    Also loads of 20p coins and big 10p coins with all diffrent years.

Thanks in advance for any advice

I forgot also have a £5 note with the 15.10.99 on it would that be worth anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Tysonc80 - the only way you're going to find out is to go! On the face of it I shouldn't think it will pay for your train fare. Old does not = valuable contrary to all the old guff you might hear on the Mooney programme/Cash in the attic etc. There are only a few valuable coins out there so be prepared for the worst. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Judgement Day is right, from the brief run down you gave there doesn't seem to be much there worth any more than face value. I honestly don't think it would be worth your while coming all the way from Galway when you could probably sell them to a dealer locally.

Advertisement