Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Henry escapes disciplinary action

• 18-01-2010 5:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭

from RTE.ie

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0118/henryt.html
    FIFA have announced they will take no disciplinary action against Thierry Henry over his handball in France's World Cup qualification play-off against the Republic of Ireland.

Bit of a shock in my opinion

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It was a handball!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

oh god no, please not again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Just as it was all settling down. Jaysus its over we got robbed, we feel bad for ourselves over it but TBH, time to get over it at this stage and look forward to the Euro's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

What, he hasn't been banned from World football for life then:eek:

He was never gonna get punished:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Let it go...................................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I said it before and I'll say it again.......If any bans were going to come of this, it should have been the officials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i wouldn't p*ss on Henry if his balls were on fire.

;)
    :pac::cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Good decision Fifa, should never have been called up in the first place tbh. Please let this be the end of it.
    But why do I think the FAI are going to come out with some sort of embarrassing response to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Bit crazy how they had a 21-man disciplinary panel to decide this. Didnt expect much, but taught he would have got a small fine or a one match ban

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Didn't expect much to come but maybe a 2 game ban would send a signal to people that you simply cannot handball in this game. Just because the officials did not spot it does not mean it isn't wrong.

FIFA really needs to get rid of the luddites at the top and make some proper changes to make the game fairer. This was a high profile case of cheating, and literally nothing was done.

I also think the FAI should say nothing. This was not their battle. As far as I'm concerned this was a question of what FIFA would do with someone who admitted to cheating, nothing to do with Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Good. Unless we start punishing players for every incident missed by match officials, it would've been hypocritical and arbitrary to punish Henry.

I still hate Henry, but that decision makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone surprised? I actually am. Not even a slapped wrist is poor show. You'd have though for the sake of the optics they'd have fined him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Gutless, everyone knows what to do to win now and there will be no consequences for it.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Good decision Fifa, should never have been called up in the first place tbh. Please let this be the end of it.
    But why do I think the FAI are going to come out with some sort of embarrassing response to this.

Why is it a good decision ? It was cheating that was not spotted by the Ref. Same as diving .
    Player's who have dived which have resulted in a penalty and a goal had been scored have been disciplined in the past.

Henry did handle the ball which resluted in a goal , he also admitted it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I was expecting execution at the very least

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I was expecting execution at the very least

I was expecting Paul McShane to be awarded a shot at his ex at the very least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

FFS

What do you think should have happened? Give him 50 lashes or something? :pac:

It was a joke that it was taken to the commitee in the first place. Wonder will they have the same treatment for the players involved in the Larne v Newry fracas which was MUCH worse than Henry's handball IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Its a pity an Irish player had not done it and we could have gone to the world cup.

Robbie Keane handle the ball a few times in the game but did not do it in the right place and score/create a goal.

Henry is a better cheater and France go to the world cup.

I hope all young Irish boys and girls learn this lesson well. If Henry was Irish he would be in Fianna Fáil and probably Taoiseach.

Its not the taking part that counts, its the winning. If your granny gets in the way well (Stephen ireland her)

Cheatings okay but do not get caught.

Tomorrows lesson will be on high standards of behaviour in the Catholic church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

Who's this Henry fella?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

dog & pony show tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Why is it a good decision ? It was cheating that was not spotted by the Ref. Same as diving .
    Player's who have dived which have resulted in a penalty and a goal had been scored have been disciplined in the past.

Henry did handle the ball which resluted in a goal , he also admitted it.

Do you watch football, there's instances of cheating in every week of every league in the world that go unpunished!

Why should Henry be made a scapegoat just because we kicked up a retarded fuss about it.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Do you watch football, there's instances of cheating in every week of every league in the world that go unpunished!

Why should Henry be made a scapegoat just because we kicked up a retarded fuss about it.

yes i watch football and i work in football and you are right , there are instances every week . Because they go unpunished.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

While I can accept the decision, and awknowledge that it is impossible to substantially retroactively punish a player without a precedent, I feel now that football needs to get with the times. Set new guidelines that allow retroactive punishment for incidents of cheating, and bring in video technology to assist the officials - and do it immediaetely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Ah it could have been worse, he could have been banned for 3 World Cup matches and then he would have appealed and another 21 man committee then would have thrown the ban out. Another futile FIFA exercise.

It is clever the way Fifa do things.

Wait a week or so and say Video tech won't be introduced under any circumstances but placate with the promise of looking into the Henry incident.

Wait a few months when the whole thing has blown over and then say nothing will happen to him either.

A regime change is really needed - if Blatter refuses to get with the times then surely there is a presidential candidate who will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Right Everybody, lets get back out to the French Embassy............:p

It's done, lets get over it (but not forget it). If the incident speeds up the day we get technology introduced, then that should be enough. Henry has to live with himself as a cheat and we need to think about the next campaign

oldyouth wrote: »
    If the incident speeds up the day we get technology introduced, then that should be enough. Henry has to live with himself as a cheat and we need to think about the next campaign

It hasn't really though - the fossil in charge seems just as against it as ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Its nice to see football authorities have become more efficient, rather than going through the whole, ban, appeal, overturn process!

I hope thats the whole thing put to bed now (and that France don't make it out of the group :pac: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

noodler wrote: »
    Gutless, everyone knows what to do to win now and there will be no consequences for it.

They have always known that. The issue here is that the precious flowers in the Ole Ole brigade appear shocked by it.

We got a bad call, it hurt at the time, but what is interesting is the sporting immaturity of a large secion of the Irish teams support who appear to be oblivious to the idea that sometimes things don't go your way.

This is the correct decision within the rules. Handball is not an offence that can warrant a retrospective punishment.

• Advertisement

They have always known that. The issue here is that the precious flowers in the Ole Ole brigade appear shocked by it.

We got a bad call, it hurt at the time, but what is interesting is the sporting immaturity of a large secion of the Irish teams support who appear to be oblivious to the idea that sometimes things don't go your way.

This is the correct decision within the rules. Handball is not an offence that can warrant a retrospective punishment.

You at it again?
    What did you expect posting that here? To be carried round the room as the wittiest man ever?

Its not original, its not funny and its a waste of time for the FAI. That letter has to be read, logged and possibly scanned. 15 mins work for someone which probably costs the FAI €10. €10 that could have been spent on a kids coach or put towords a clubhouse. €10 isn't much in the scheme of things, but if 1,000 people waste the FAI's time like that in any given year.....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The whole hearing was just a token gesture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

Could have left at least 18 of the committee at home and saved a bit of money

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Walsh wrote: »
    Who's this Henry fella?

Presented Going for Gold, didn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

As usual FIFA show themselves to be soft when decisive action was needed. They could have sent out a proper message her to all footballers that cheating will not be accepted at any level. And that cheats will be punished retrospectively. Shame on them.

grenache wrote: »
    As usual FIFA show themselves to be soft when decisive action was needed. They could have sent out a proper message her to all footballers that cheating will not be accepted at any level. And that cheats will be punished retrospectively. Shame on them.

Start at the top etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Ok, so I have'n been following the footie lately.

Could someone describe IN DETAIL what henry did, thanks.:confused:

:D

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Ok, so I have'ny been following the footie lately.

Could someone describe IN DETAIL what henry did, thanks.:confused:

Basically he did this

990125-thierry-henry-handball.jpg

For which we complained but Platini and co said "call someone who cares"

platini_1535055c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I hope South Africa, Uruguay and Mexico cheat like ****ing bastards against France. Sure why not? Not like there is going to be any reprecussions if the Ref misses it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

is anybody really surprised that there was no action taken?

Is "cheating" ok when a player from your own team does it, or can you make an excuse for it, be less vocal about it, or can you ignore it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Is "cheating" ok when a player from your own team does it, or can you make an excuse for it, be less vocal about it, or can you ignore it.

Of course it is, how many times has duff dived in the qualifyers to get us a free ( at least 20 times I'd say and we and the football commentators have no complaints.
    If drogba or henry does the same thing then he's branded a 'cheat' and a 'disgrace'

Of course it is, how many times has duff dived in the qualifyers to get us a free ( at least 20 times I'd say and we and the football commentators have no complaints.
    If drogba or henry does the same thing then he's branded a 'cheat' and a 'disgrace'

Indeed, quite amusing seeing people branding him as cheat, double standards all the way imo.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Indeed, quite amusing seeing people branding him as cheat, double standards all the way imo.

I am not as sure, seems to be more people afraid to tarnish the name of a player they 'simply adored' for so many years.

Of course it is, how many times has duff dived in the qualifyers to get us a free ( at least 20 times I'd say and we and the football commentators have no complaints.)

Once for definite but our commentators picked up on it. Away to Cyprus.

noodler wrote: »
    I am not as sure, seems to be more people afraid to tarnish the name of a player they 'simply adored' for so many years.

I think we are all guilty to an extent of double standards but I would like to think I wouldn't start taking the high moral ground, as I said amusing seeing some comments and seeing the teams they support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

I sincerely hope that those people who think Henry should have been punished are just on a wind up. Fining or banning a player for a handball, get real people.
    Yes we were screwed, yes we embarassed ourselves with the reaction afterwards. Lets not do the same again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

That comes as no surprise now really does it. if it was an Irish player he'd have got €50,000 fine and a 4 match ban at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Forgot to add to the last post - we are minnows and were treated accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

grenache wrote: »
    Could'nt agree more but did we honestly expect anything else. FIFA and world football is corrupt to it's core.

• Advertisement
Advertisement