Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Henry escapes disciplinary action

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Could'nt agree more but did we honestly expect anything else. FIFA and world football is corrupt to it's core.

What punishment do you want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

OPENROAD wrote: »
    What punishment do you want?

I want to make sure it doesn't happen again. If they are going to be prehistoric regarding video replays then they can punish Henry and every other player who cheats to score a goal or win a penalty. Some may argue that whether or not someone cheats should not depend on whether a goal advantage was obtained but I guess I disagree.

If you want to set an example then you should absolutely use the most high profile incident in recent times to do so.

noodler wrote: »
    I want to make sure it doesn't happen again. If they are going to be prehistoric regarding video replays then they can punish Henry and every other player who cheats to score a goal or win a penalty. Some may argue that whether or not someone cheats should not depend on whether a goal advantage was obtained but I guess I disagree.

If you want to set an example then you should absolutely use the most high profile incident in recent times to do so.

It doesn't matter what area of the pitch imo, cheating is cheating, but lets be honest people are only calling for a punishment because it happned to Ireland, I don't see supporters openly calling their own players cheats and demanding punishment,in fact the opposite has been the case, plenty of incidents since Henry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Ah yes, FIFA going through the motions. What a useless organisation. The Henry incident once again brings into view how unresponsive and unimaginative an organisation it really is.

Years and years of calls to bring in video technology to stamp this out and all you get in response is that it removes the "human element" from the game and and other similar sounding b*llsh*t.

FIFA: trying to find a function for it, is like trying to find a function for a waterproof teabag or a thermo-nuclear hand grenade.

FIFA reminds me of the term FUBAR! (Saving Private Ryan fans will know what that stands for!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Come on folks, this thread is 4 pages long already and the GAA have not been blamed for anything yet

Get with the program people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Come on folks, this thread is 4 pages long already and the GAA have not been blamed for anything yet

OK, Henry taught he was allowed to play GAA since he was playing Ireland. He showed the 21 man disciplinary commitee a GAA dvd and they understood that it was a simple misunderstanding and that Ireland have to accept the blame as they held the first leg in Croke Park thus leading to the misunderstanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

IT'S ALL THE GAH'S FAULT FFS!

List of things Fifa aren't going to do

(1) Punish cheaters.

(2) Introduce Video Replays

(3) Abolish disgraceful Seeded Play Offs.

I think we have a right to be especially aggrieved.

List of things Fifa aren't going to do

(1) Punish cheaters.

(2) Introduce Video Replays

(3) Abolish disgraceful Seeded Play Offs.

I think we have a right to be especially aggrieved.

I would agree with you re 1 and 2, I really think the way forward is to have video replays that will be used consistently.

That said I think you have to agree most fans don't care about number 1 if their team benefits from cheating, an excuse will always be made for it such as ah the keeper would have taken him down anyway or oh the player would get injured if he did not go down.

• Advertisement

I would agree with you re 1 and 2, I really think the way forward is to have video replays that will be used consistently.

That said I think you have to agree most fans don't care about number 1 if their team benefits from cheating, an excuse will always be made for it such as ah the keeper would have taken him down anyway or oh the player would get injured if he did not go down.

Why wouldn't you agree with 3?

Why wouldn't you agree with 3?

Why stop with play offs then, why not just have an open draw for group matches also.

Can you remind me what the situation was with the last play offs, was it a case that FIFA decided that we would have a seeded draw when group games were played, did they actually state before the group matches started that we would have an open draw for play offs and change their minds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

It was a handball!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :eek:

I'd say 75% of football matches played in the world from junior to professional a week have handballs, this is no different. Just because it meant more for you doesn't mean it should be treated differently.

Can we move on please or just go and have a quiet protest.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,012 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well all I have to say is that I'm very happy with my Wilkinson Sword Quattro Titanium razors which I started using in the aftermath of Henry's handball.

Why stop with play offs then, why not just have an open draw for group matches also.

Can you remind me what the situation was with the last play offs, was it a case that FIFA decided that we would have a seeded draw when group games were played, did they actually state before the group matches started that we would have an open draw for play offs and change their minds?

They said nothing until they saw how the groups panned out. They left it nice and ambiguous as even Blatter himself admitted.

All that is irrelevant anyway, it is fundamentally wrong even if they have been doing it for 2 World Cups.

Being a higher seed gets you an advantage in the initial WCQ group draw - it should absolutely not be used once again in the same competition to give disadvantage one team who has managed the exact same achievement (i.e.: second) as a bigger team and usually against the odds.

I am surprised you can't see the fair play contradiction when it comes to seeded play offs.

EDIT: Even the CL draw for the KO stages is done based on the teams' performances in that competition that season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I'd say 75% of football matches played in the world from junior to professional a week have handballs, this is no different. Just because it meant more for you doesn't mean it should be treated differently.

Can we move on please or just go and have a quiet protest.:rolleyes:

Just because many people do something that's against the rules doesn't make it all right. As I see it, FIFA are saying to any one who plays football, if you cheat don't get caught. That's some message to be giving out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

A player handled the ball. There were 3 officials there whose job it is to monitor and enforce the rules. All of them missed the initial offside, all of them missed the galring handball. Robbie handled 4 times in the same match, so do we expect Henry to be punished and then Robbie to receive four times the sanctions? No, we don't. Henry's handball happened to end up in a goal being scored, doesn't alter the infringement one bit. Yes, it highlights the fact that cheating can be beneficial if you don't get caught. As it is across all walks of life every day of the week. Nothing new there. The big fiasco is that Henry was brought up in front of a disciplinary panel in the first place, or that all 3 of these officials are still on the FIFA elite list and the ref is most likely going to the WC himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

chughes wrote: »
    Just because many people do something that's against the rules doesn't make it all right. As I see it, FIFA are saying to any one who plays football, if you cheat don't get caught. That's some message to be giving out.

No, they are saying referees are the ultimate arbitrator and unfortunatly they make mistakes and they aren't willing to change the disciplinary code because some spotty Irish teenagers decide to march to the French embassy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

Why don't people give up on the seeding issue. If we were seeded we would have been delighted.
    We were delighted to be drawn against Iran for 2002, we didn't feel like we deserved to be in the finals less than anybody else.
    Who cares about seeding. Slovenia had no problem with it, we shouldn't either. We were already making excuses before the game with the seeding bull***t.
    We could have beaten France and we didn't. I would have preferred to play France with their useless manager (Gignac>Benzema???) than go away to the Ukraine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I'm so glad i have a life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

EI111 wrote: »
    Could have left at least 18 of the committee at home and saved a bit of money

FIFA officials try and save money?

• Advertisement

I'm so glad i have a life

Nice of you to pop into a thread on the internet to tell us that.

Seems strange though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Kenteach wrote: »
    A player handled the ball. There were 3 officials there whose job it is to monitor and enforce the rules. All of them missed the initial offside, all of them missed the galring handball. Robbie handled 4 times in the same match, so do we expect Henry to be punished and then Robbie to receive four times the sanctions? No, we don't. Henry's handball happened to end up in a goal being scored, doesn't alter the infringement one bit. Yes, it highlights the fact that cheating can be beneficial if you don't get caught. As it is across all walks of life every day of the week. Nothing new there. The big fiasco is that Henry was brought up in front of a disciplinary panel in the first place, or that all 3 of these officials are still on the FIFA elite list and the ref is most likely going to the WC himself.

didnt he handle it twice?

I'm actually getting a bit worried about the naivety of posters here who actually seemed to expect some sort of rule change so FIFA could act to punish someone for a yellow card offence.

It really isn't as big a deal as people seem to want to make out. It was news for a day or two outside Ireland, people went 'boo France' and got on with life.

Also very pointed that the LoI fans seem most sanguine about it. Experience of actual fandom and the peaks and troughs or just used to getting screwed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Also very pointed that the LoI fans seem most sanguine about it. Experience of actual fandom and the peaks and troughs or just used to getting screwed?

ONYD beating the drum again. Give it a rest lad, its got f*ck all to do with the thread.

flahavaj wrote: »
    ONYD beating the drum again. Give it a rest lad, its got f*ck all to do with the thread.

Actually it does.

My gut feeling is that fans with a passing interest in the game are making the most noise about the incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Actually it does.

My gut feeling is that fans with a passing interest in the game are making the most noise about the incident.

Yawn. Way to generalise there bai.

Yawn. Way to generalise there bai.

I think its true. I would love to poll the average age and team of those making the biggest fuss here.

I guess 15 and Man United would be the median result.

Just ignore him and he might go away.

I think its true. I would love to poll the average age and team of those making the biggest fuss here.

I guess 15 and Man United would be the median result.

Well I'm 50 and a Leeds fan so that must skew the median result.
    I still stand by what I said earlier, rules are there to be followed and those in authority should be doing all in their power to see that this is done.
    I played junior soccer in Dublin for many years when I was younger and I know that cheating goes on. Many times I have seen players trying to fool referees to gain an advantage. As I said, just because many people cheat, this doesn't mean that it should become the accepted norm.

As I said, just because many people cheat, this doesn't mean that it should become the accepted norm.

Don't think anyone will argue with that sentiment. There are ways and means though, and retrospectively banning or fining a player for handling the ball is not one of those ways.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'm so angry, I could start a Facebook protest page.

Kenteach wrote: »
    Don't think anyone will argue with that sentiment. There are ways and means though, and retrospectively banning or fining a player for handling the ball is not one of those ways.

I better just clarify here. As far as I'm concerned, the Henry affair is now finished and the situation is what the situation is.
    My point is that FIFA should look at ways of improving the refereeing of games. Implementing video technology such as used by the Rugby authorities would be a good start. If players knew that their actions were being adjudicated on by more than the referee and two linesmen, they may think twice about attempting to cheat. It won't cut it out but it should help to reduce it and it would show that FIFA was trying to address the issue.

I better just clarify here. As far as I'm concerned, the Henry affair is now finished and the situation is what the situation is.
    My point is that FIFA should look at ways of improving the refereeing of games. Implementing video technology such as used by the Rugby authorities would be a good start. If players knew that their actions were being adjudicated on by more than the referee and two linesmen, they may think twice about attempting to cheat. It won't cut it out but it should help to reduce it and it would show that FIFA was trying to address the issue.

Completely agree. I understand the reluctance; tradition, human error being natural, etc. But in many cases this is a multi million euro game, and where there is sufficient doubt in game defining moments, technology has to be used. Thats what FIFA should be concentrating on, not kangaroo courts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Good joke on 8 out of 10 Cats last night from Sean Locke...

"Lenny Henry has been getting hate mail from disgruntled Irish fans - not because his surname in Henry, but because his wife is called Dawn French."

(I laughed anyway!)

Advertisement