Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus USA V Aer Lingus IRE

Options
  • 18-01-2010 5:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

My browser brought me to the US version of Aer Lingus. So I looked at a few flights.

Out: Mon 1st FEB JFK-DUB
    Ret: Thur 4th FEB DUB - JFK

Total Cost: $499.40 or using xe.com €348

Try it the other way.

Out: Mon 1st FEB DUB-JFK
    Ret: Thur 4th FEB JFK - DUB

Total Cost: €448

So its €100 less for Americans travelling to Ireland than Irish travelling to America. I checked a couple of others and the outbound Ireland flight is a lot cheaper.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Were there the exact same taxes involved? Anyway it is not exactly like for like, they are different days so there could be simply more/less demand on certain days for certain flights.

p.s. always add 3% to your XE rate for what you really are likely to pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

rubadub wrote: »
    p.s. always add 3% to your XE rate for what you really are likely to pay

I use PTSB Ice Visa and get charged 1.75%. The rate before commission is usually XE rate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

They are actually the same days but even at that I did try a few other dates for comparison. Heading from the US to Ireland is cheaper that the outbound flight being from Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭James.

yeah booking through the american site is cheaper.
    i saved a bit by using it a few years ago.

a return flight from ireland to san fran was about 500 on the irish site.
    but by booking a single on the irish site and a single on the ameriacn site i saved about 50 euro.
    and that was for the exact same flights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

My browser brought me to the US version of Aer Lingus. So I looked at a few flights.

Out: Mon 1st FEB JFK-DUB
    Ret: Thur 4th FEB DUB - JFK

Total Cost: $499.40 or using xe.com €348

Try it the other way.

Out: Mon 1st FEB DUB-JFK
    Ret: Thur 4th FEB JFK - DUB

Total Cost: €448

So its €100 less for Americans travelling to Ireland than Irish travelling to America. I checked a couple of others and the outbound Ireland flight is a lot cheaper.

You are quoting different days for different flights.

On the US site you are being quoted for JFK to Dublin. - Try the Irish site with an earlier depart date with a rfeturn date from USA on 1st Feb and see what the cost is.

Also, within market promotions and currency exchange can also make a difference.

Using EXACT same dates for same direction is as follows

USA Site
    Depart JFK 28th Jan one way on US site = $329
    Depart Dublin 01 Feb one way on USA site $329

Irish site
    Depart JFK 28th Jan one way Irish site €204
    Depart Dublin 01 Feb one way Irish site €204

All prices are before taxes.

At current exchange of $1.43, the Irish site works out cheaper when you compare IDENTICAL flights.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

So a flight going to Dublin from New York on the 1st Feb AND a flight going to New York from Dublin on the 1st Feb are actually going on different days? Thats what your saying???
    :confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

So a flight going to Dublin from New York on the 1st Feb AND a flight going to New York from Dublin on the 1st Feb are actually going on different days? Thats what your saying???
    He is comparing like with like, in your original post you have 4 different flights listed prices vary a lot day by day. Being on different days I would expect differences -and it could swing either way.

Say there was an Irish rugby match on in Scotland on a saturday evening. I would expect a Ireland-scotland ticket to cost a fortune on that saturday. Conversely I would also expect a scotland-ireland ticket on that saturday to be very cheap -reason is they might have extra planes going to scotland that day to cope with the demand, and these planes would otherwise be empty on the way back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Departing New York & Departing dublin are 2 entirely different products.

You compared a flight going New York / Dub on 1st of feb with a flight going new york / dub on 4th feb - thus same flight on different dates.

I checked both sites for the precise same flight, going from & to the precise same destination at the precise same time with the only difference being one booked in US dollars & one booked in Euro.

The euro site was cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

They are on the same days but they are different flights.

You are not comparing like with like.
    Dub-JFK is not the same flight as JFK-Dub (even if it is on the same day)

Plus, as flights begin to book up, the price goes up.

The dearer flight may be nearly fully booked, hence the dearer price.

Advertisement