Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy walks

Options
  • 18-01-2010 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys a quick question about walking the puppy (golden retriever). He's six months now so 30 mins walking allowed. Is this 30 mins of walking full stop thou or 30 mins of walking on a hard surface? EG - if it takes 5 mins to walk to the park and he's pottering around on the grass for 10 mins does that count? I'm wondering now if i'm walking him enough because I've been counting 'grass time' as part of the 30 mins?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

I think thats loads.... 5 minutes per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

SarahSassy wrote: »
    I think thats loads.... 5 minutes per month.

5 minutes a month???? That only works out at maybe 20 seconds a day :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

5 minutes per month of age.

Well best would be to suss it out for yourself tk if your pup is knackered or not. Don't go too far over it, say 5mins walk to park, 20 mins walk/potter, 5mins home = 30mins total, so see how the pup is with that, if he's tired / lagging going home you know maybe to cut it a little short, or if he's still bounding around maybe add another 5 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks guys. We spend about 20 mins in the park and he's still full of beans so I might add another 5 mins! I can't wait for a few months time so I can take him for longer walks! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 dublindogcare

who gave you this information of only 30mins walk per day for a 6month retriever???

Long walks are hard on the joints of dogs under the age of a yr, at this point their joints are developed fully, hence dogs under 1 yr advised against agility.

If on leash the dog will be constantly walking with you and not at her own pace. so on leash keep it to walks of 30mins max , and knowing that breed I would be doing this min of twice a day.
    The rest of her excersice can be obtained when she is off leash playing with you, or other dogs in the park. This is because playing puppies can pace themselves, they will stop for breaks when they need to and the breaks in playing give their growing joints a break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Is it not 5 mins per month of age per walk. It was my belief that you could take a 6 month old puppy for two 30 min walks a day. In fact that is what is recommended? Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I thought it was 5 mins per month of age per day? If it's per walk thats great cos we can go for 2 walks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Its per day, not per walk.

Advertisement