Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating a wiki from scratch

Options
  • 18-01-2010 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Ok so as part of a college project I want to create a website that has a wiki in it. I basically want to create a site with information that anyone can edit. I have no idea how to set about doing this though. I know I will need a database to store information....but after that I don't have a clue how I should go about programming it. I have been googling stuff on it and I'm just not finding anything of any help. Any tips or anything on where to get started would be great. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

SoItsMe wrote: »
    Ok so as part of a college project I want to create a website that has a wiki in it. I basically want to create a site with information that anyone can edit. I have no idea how to set about doing this though. I know I will need a database to store information....but after that I don't have a clue how I should go about programming it. I have been googling stuff on it and I'm just not finding anything of any help. Any tips or anything on where to get started would be great. Thanks.

Have you looked into the whole Web 2.0 thing?

As in Ajax and creating a rich interactive website?

You could look at using the Google Web toolkit maybe? I used it in my final year at college to make web based contacts application and while it was a bit fiddly to get going with once I got my head around it I found it easy enough to create something pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

If you want to get up and running quickly, WordPress and Wiki plugin should do the trick: http://wp-wiki.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 dannystaple

I have used it for years - it has a fully working wiki, along with blogs, message forums etc. It runs on anything with PHP and MySQL database.

If you want a framework on which to build your own, with a bit more than the bare metal, Joomla and more so Typo3 give you a framework, but do not do everything foryou.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

If you don't want to have to use a database for the backend, have a look at DokuWiki. Supports several auth backends (LDAP, phpBB, database, flat files) and easy on the eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 dannystaple

ethernet wrote: »
    If you don't want to have to use a database for the backend, have a look at DokuWiki. Supports several auth backends (LDAP, phpBB, database, flat files) and easy on the eye.
    Ooh - not seen that - may have to play with it a bit...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

creating a wiki from scratch, as in writing your own wiki software? I don't really see the point. It's just recreating the wheel. To make something decent would take a lot of work also - too much for a college project.
    Screwturn is a pretty good open source wiki developed with the .net framework. It's easy to install, modify, and make plugins for.

Advertisement