Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hydraulic trailer brakes and there value

• 18-01-2010 6:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hi, I,m just wondering about the value of hydraulic trailer brakes. My own tractor has no coupling for hydraulic brakes. i am thinking of purchasing a slurry tank for my own use around the farm and it will have them. As i wil only be driving a couple of hundred yards down a quiet road, do i really need them? I know that they are required by law but is it safe witout them? I dont mind getting them if they are essential and dont cost too much! Does anyone know what price around it would cost to fit a coupling for them to my tractor?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭DanFindy

Not essential but v v v valuable in safety terms!! If i was you i would get the tractor plumbed up for brakes, what kinda tractor is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭iano93

DanFindy wrote: »
    Not essential but v v v valuable in safety terms!! If i was you i would get the tractor plumbed up for brakes, what kinda tractor is it?
    Its an 08 zetor proxima 7441! Dats good to know, would you say it would be an expensive job?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Colmm23

Surprised a tractor of that age isnt piped for brakes really, it may be piped but the fitting might need to be attached on the back end somewhere. Another option for you if its only a short distance on the road is to replace fitting on tanker brake pipe with a male end and plug into your second hydraulic valve and use from lever in cab.

Colmm23 wrote: »
    Surprised a tractor of that age isnt piped for brakes really, it may be piped but the fitting might need to be attached on the back end somewhere. Another option for you if its only a short distance on the road is to replace fitting on tanker brake pipe with a male end and plug into your second hydraulic valve and use from lever in cab.
    Ya it should be! I,l check dat out! thats a good option if i dont get them fitted to the tractor properly!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Another option for you if its only a short distance on the road is to replace fitting on tanker brake pipe with a male end and plug into your second hydraulic valve and use from lever in cab.

this works fairly ok but make sure you fit a reducer valve on the line to slow down the flow of oil, pulling the lever at high revs will make sh1t of the little ram on the tanker

the valve has a tap like cut off and adjust it just for the lowest setting that the brake will operate correct with the oil warm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

http://www.james-gervais.co.uk/id9.html

Optional fitting, i'd price to see what it is fitted.
    make sh1t of the little ram on the tanker
    or before & behind it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

They wont be crucial to be honest, If you drive with a bit of care and mechanical sympathy, you wont run into any problems without them,

During the summer time I see hundreds of loads of baled silage being drawn on trailers with no brakes, this is obviously a safety concern and they are required by law when on the road as you say, but I have never seen it to be a problem or cause any issues.

Surprised a 08 tractor would not have them as standard though...

Ya tanks wil check it out lads, i think now it would be safer to get them altogether goin on yer advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭bk1991

iano93 wrote: »
    Ya tanks wil check it out lads, i think now it would be safer to get them altogether goin on yer advice!

a good braked trailer /tank will save the tractor brakes ,start driveing with trailer brakes and then ul miss them if u dont have them .at work we have all the trailers braked .but here at home our international885xl i am doen to get a kit for it eventualy for brake valve ...

bk1991 wrote: »
    a good braked trailer /tank will save the tractor brakes ,start driveing with trailer brakes and then ul miss them if u dont have them .at work we have all the trailers braked .but here at home our international885xl i am doen to get a kit for it eventualy for brake valve ...
    Tanks well i definitly dont want it to affect my tractors brakes so i tink it wud make good sense to get her plumbed for brakes.

• Advertisement

Surprised a tractor of that age isnt piped for brakes really, it may be piped but the fitting might need to be attached on the back end somewhere. Another option for you if its only a short distance on the road is to replace fitting on tanker brake pipe with a male end and plug into your second hydraulic valve and use from lever in cab.[/quote]

would this not lock on brakes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Colmm23

Indeed it will, but the trick is not to pull lever fully just a little by little to assist in slowing up the outfit and then push lever opposite direction to release brakes again. Dont get me wrong this is not ideal at all but if the op just intends travelling a short distance with his tanker and isn't using any other trailed unit i presume its a cheaper option.

Indeed it will, but the trick is not to pull lever fully just a little by little to assist in slowing up the outfit and then push lever opposite direction to release brakes again. Dont get me wrong this is not ideal at all but if the op just intends travelling a short distance with his tanker and isn't using any other trailed unit i presume its a cheaper option.

yea sopoes ur right there yea id have taight a 08 should have come standard wit trailer brakes , we only have them on the tank aswell no valve on tractor .have tried a few times ur idea wit spool valve not realy ideal but great handbrake :D:D

yea sopoes ur right there yea id have taight a 08 should have come standard wit trailer brakes , we only have them on the tank aswell no valve on tractor .have tried a few times ur idea wit spool valve not realy ideal but great handbrake :D:D
    Ya how do ya find workin witout dem? Do ya have to do any drawing of slurry on the road?

Ya how do ya find workin witout dem? Do ya have to do any drawing of slurry on the road?

yea we do some road work have another farm 8 miles away from home farm.dont realy spread slurry on it much but if u want to stop in a hurry the tank will push the tractor as will anything and thats only 30k tractor we have ,i have pulled 12 tonne wit a fiat100-90 and the tandam axel trailed had the brakes and all and ud go out the window when u barley tapped the brakes ,i am trying convince the ol lad for a while now to get our tractor plumed up wit the brake valve . still dono why an 08 tractor hasnt got them as standard .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

our slurry tank doesnt have them. we have to draw the tank about half a mile on the road to a field which is up the road. although our slurry tank is only 1600 gallon but we have 4wd braking so its grand. you could stop away alright. we have them in the silage trailer and when the trailer is empty its alright but when its full it will literaly through you forward

yea we do some road work have another farm 8 miles away from home farm.dont realy spread slurry on it much but if u want to stop in a hurry the tank will push the tractor as will anything and thats only 30k tractor we have ,i have pulled 12 tonne wit a fiat100-90 and the tandam axel trailed had the brakes and all and ud go out the window when u barley tapped the brakes ,i am trying convince the ol lad for a while now to get our tractor plumed up wit the brake valve . still dono why an 08 tractor hasnt got them as standard .
    Dey must be good so!!;) Ya same ere, e reckons if u drive handy nd carefully u'l b alright!!...I'm tryin ta convince him!!

Advertisement