Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buckfast - the demon drink?

Options
  • 18-01-2010 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭

It has become a kind of folk legend in Galway, popular with students, carnies, and crusties alike. But despite being manufactured by men of God, is there something satanic about this concoction? People don't go sipping this tonic wine as part of a jovial conversation of a Friday night between friends, do they? It's geared more towards fast slugging (tastes crap!), getting bombed, and then heading out to 'release' the energy somehow. It seems the caffeine is the questionable aspect of it. Or is this violence link all just a 'Scottish' issue, and should we leave it alone?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0118/buckfast.html
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

People who commit crimes when drunk, will continue to get drunk and commit crimes, regardless of the poison imbibed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

True, but I have witnessed the Buckie Jeckyl/Hyde effect with someone who wouldn't say boo drinking Guinness. It was pretty funny though, and no one was hurt, as his mates, once over the shock, restrained him.:rolleyes:

Not to say this person wouldn't freak with other substances.
    Some people 'can't drink' whiskey for example.

And thinking of the mad amount of caffeine in Buckie made me think of someone I knew who blamed his divorce on overcaffination (not full story I suspect, but I have seen some pretty nasty effects on people's personalities from downing gallons of black coffee!:p)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Vodka/Red Bull seems to have the same effect on people.
    Alcohol + energy drink = trouble :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Magnus wrote: »
    Vodka/Red Bull seems to have the same effect on people.
    Alcohol + energy drink = trouble :D
    Or hilarity when you give it to some quiet person that doesn't normally drink allot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Galway wouldn't be the same without Buckfast. Makes life more entertaining and everybody loves it regardless of age, career or background.

• Advertisement

My only concern with Buckie would be the glass bottle, loads drink it from all different backgrounds, but most scummers drink it and the glass is very thick, I've heard a few stories through the years of people being bottled.
    They'd be as well off to change it to a different packaging, it would also save a lot of car tyres/clean up, bottles are always smashed everywhere,since its mainly drank outdoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

They should put it in a plastic bottle with a brown paper bag graphic instead of a label. Oh yeah, and only store it in the fridge in offies. Yum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Bucky made by Monks!! :eek:

I thought they bottled it in a factory iin Clonmel!?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

How old am I that I remember the UCG "publication" Buckfast Supernova?

Think I might have an issue or two somewhere...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

is there any buckfast hot spots in galway or is it drunk across the board?when did it first come to galway nyway?prone to the odd bottle myself,never had a bad influence on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I just with the people who drank it would not litter with the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

topper75 wrote: »
    (tastes crap!)

:eek::eek: Wash your mouth out with soapy water!!

I honestly think it's gorgeous. Haven't had it in quite a while so must unleash the power of the buckfast some weekend soon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

It's a bit of a kids drink isn't it?...very very sweet. I can't really drink it because I find it too sweet. It's would be like trying to drink an entire bottle of Calpol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Tribesman29

Was watching a programme on 100 years of the Connacht Tribune over Christmas on TG4, and was amazed to see a rather large ad for Buckfast on the front page of the paper from I think the mid 50's. I have it on the auld Sky+ and paused it to get the actual content.

Heading - The Tonic PLUS.....for those who enjoy a good wine

Body - So much more than a good tonic, Buckfast Tonic Wine is a fine mature wine good for you in itself....aiding digestion, soothing and so enjoyable to taste. Making it doubly good for you, the Benedictine Monks blend in the special tonic ingredients which restore lost vigour and faded xxxxx. A pleasant glass or two a day keeps you generally toned up and is especially valuable when you are feeling run down or after illness. Take home a bottle today!!

From all wine merchants, Licenced Grocers, Chemists.

Prepared exclusively by the BENEDICTINE MONKS OF BUCKFAST ABBEY
    ENDS

Couldn't make out the one word after faded. Just goes to show you that it's part of the city's history, and will probably still be around long after Keith Finnegan has stopped wailing about it.

I'd say by 'a glass or 2 a day' they meant those little tonic wine/sherry glasses, not the equiv of 2 big durty pint glasses!:p

Be curious if ingredients changed over the years, I'd imagine not though, although with a lot of the 'older' products, they amended ingredients if they were unstable or not up to preservative standards. And sugar is no longer from beet.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

People who commit crimes when drunk, will continue to get drunk and commit crimes, regardless of the poison imbibed.

However the caffeine means they are inspired to commit the crimes faster, so have more time to do more of 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

I was once hit over the head with a buckfast bottle and thank goodness they're so sturdy as it didn't break, just kinda knocked me out.

Twas off Eyre square many moons ago while trying to 'score' with some dodgy geezers. They also robbed my wallet, but I'm sure they upset as there was nothing in it hah!

The Guards in Galway rang me about 9 months later to say it had been handed into the station, in perfect condition.

At least some monks out there do something worthwhile....

• Registered Users Posts: 45,491 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Pete M. wrote: »
    I was once hit over the head with a buckfast bottle and thank goodness they're so sturdy as it didn't break, just kinda knocked me out.

Twas off Eyre square many moons ago while trying to 'score' with some dodgy geezers. They also robbed my wallet, but I'm sure they upset as there was nothing in it hah!

The Guards in Galway rang me about 9 months later to say it had been handed into the station, in perfect condition.

At least some monks out there do something worthwhile....

You were trying to shág dodgy geezers? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

howyanow wrote: »
    is there any buckfast hot spots in galway or is it drunk across the board?when did it first come to galway nyway?prone to the odd bottle myself,never had a bad influence on me.

First time I discovered buckfast in Galway or anywhere was around 1986 bush drinking with friends.We thought we were being hardcore drunk until along came someone from the North with the eyes rolling around in his head sluggin a green bottle of buckfast,he took out another bottle and shared it with us! Someone recogised it from their granny drinking it as a tonic and it went from there...only really spotted it at festivals or biker rallys for the next few years,then it seemed to really take off in Galway around the early/mid nineties...

Some people just cant tolerate it,like whiskey or poiteen,for that it's influence can be tragic,and it has fueled the whole 'drink to get drunk' culture/backlash/rebellion-which is pathetic-if you really want to say fcuk off to Keith Finnegan and the establishment keep in mind the words of a John Mayall song ..'got to have a clear mind if you want to change the world'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I still enjoy the odd bottle of chilled buckie myself even though I'm years out of college. You do develop a taste for it or at least some people do if you hang around Galway long enough. Sure if it didn't exist or was banned people would just find something else to drink like strong cider or some other rocket fuel.

Only thing that bugs me is after a weekend Galway can be littered with bottles of buckie often smashed. You just can't rely on people to dispose of their bottles responsibly but in general Irish people are terrible for littering anyway sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Owldshtok wrote: »
    it has fueled the whole 'drink to get drunk' culture/backlash/rebellion-which is pathetic

I remember years ago talking to a South African guy who was amazed at Irish pub culture. I replied that surely they have pubs in S.A. too. He explained that there were but you would just have guys sitting at the bar staring forward, not talking to each other, drinking with the express purpose of getting smashed. The idea of craic and conversation, whilst slowly sipping pints over an evening without counting, was new to him. I now realise it is unique to Ireland and Britain.

I suppose my issue with Buckfast is that is not so much a social drink as an anti-social drink. Do we want to go down that road? There is use and abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The idea of craic and conversation, whilst slowly sipping pints over an evening without counting, was new to him. I now realise it is unique to Ireland and Britain.

What I've been told, and observed myself, is that while Irish people aren't counting absolute numbers, they are counting in terms of social obligations. If you go to the pub with five friends, and someone buys a round, they you are pretty much all obliged to stay for another four rounds. I've now learned to find someone else who I know drinks as slowly as I do, and as soon as we arrive say that we'll stay on our own. Far less demanding on the liver. (There are other tricks too, like getting the barman to dispose of half-drunk drinks when no one's looking ... much though I abhor the waste.)

Don't know if the same holds in the bucckie social circles though.

The idea of craic and conversation, whilst slowly sipping pints over an evening without counting, was new to him. I now realise it is unique to Ireland and Britain.

I'd agree with Just Mary about the 'rounds' culture, and unless I am with a smaller group or it's a very special occasion, I always say 'work away' and do my own thing. Now that doesn't stop you buying a drink for a friend if they join the group or whatever, it is more about the *having to* drink 6 pints more than wanting to!

I'd disagree about the conversation part being unique to us and the UK (craic maybe! ;)) France is definitely somewhere I remember chatting for hours over drinks in a café (some drank beer, some pernod, some wine, some coffee) certain parts of the States are great for chats. In the latter, there are often pool or darts to get the chat going, or 'brew pubs', where it was as much about having a bit of grub and sharing a pitcher too.

We are changing, but we tend to be less chatty in restaurants unless it's a pub, don't think we have completely gotten over the 'posh' notion. We don't seem to let loose as much (that's changing) and food and drink part ways at a certain hour.

Accidental and spontaneous tanked nights are always waaay more fun than planned ones, for me at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    You were trying to shág dodgy geezers? :D

Not in a literal or any other way, no. Guess that was a bit ambiguous of me, ahem....

Was after black market recreational goods.

Long story......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Salt McMan

...anti-social drink. Do we want to go down that road?

Oh no no no no no, Ireland must never go that route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭NMoore

If you're ever on holiday in Devon, it's well worth a visit to Buckfast abbey, in Buckfastleigh village. It's beautiful, and tranquil, and the village is great! Lots of little English pubs with big fires and hunting dogs in them (real chocolate box stuff!), lovely B& B's, antique shops.... The pubs don't serve Buckfast though. If you want that, back to the Abbey gift shop, where they sell you buckfast in full size, naggins, and even in jam. Buckfast flavoured jam, anyone?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

NMoore wrote: »
    If you're ever on holiday in Devon, it's well worth a visit to Buckfast abbey, in Buckfastleigh village. It's beautiful, and tranquil, and the village is great! Lots of little English pubs with big fires and hunting dogs in them (real chocolate box stuff!), lovely B& B's, antique shops.... The pubs don't serve Buckfast though. If you want that, back to the Abbey gift shop, where they sell you buckfast in full size, naggins, and even in jam. Buckfast flavoured jam, anyone?! :)

Got any pictures of the place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

NMoore wrote: »

I agree, the place is really nice. I went there about 10 years ago. Lovely countryside. I bought a naggin of Buckfast for posterity at the time. I intended to keep it as a souvenir...until my brother stole it and drank it :mad: I remember clearly that the label read: tonic wine does not imply medicinal properties. No such disclaimers on the bottles sent over here for us Paddys :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

I remember years ago talking to a South African guy who was amazed at Irish pub culture. I replied that surely they have pubs in S.A. too. He explained that there were but you would just have guys sitting at the bar staring forward, not talking to each other, drinking with the express purpose of getting smashed. The idea of craic and conversation, whilst slowly sipping pints over an evening without counting, was new to him. I now realise it is unique to Ireland and Britain.

Been living in SA for nearly a year, and thats news to me. Pubs here are much like home. People don't generally get as drunk though. Although they do all drive home no matter how drunk they are.

Advertisement